Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

What beginner race tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 10:32 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Nope, tires are made to work at certain levels, if you don't ride to that level your just waisting money and rubber. Did you check that link I put up where Collin Edwards was running just a few seconds off motogp times on street tires? The top of the line super soft tires are made for people that go so fast they're trying to take tenths of a second off thier lap times. If you know you're going to be slow you'll just be waisting the tire because it will still wear quicker than the other one that you won't be able to push past it's limits anyway. This is just what I've been told by every expert rider I've talked to directly and on forums.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:49 PM
MotoGP

Look I don't want to seem like I'm Joe Racer and I'm not an expert by any means but......I started doing track days a year ago next week, started off slow not the slowest guy but times were in the high 1:50s. Like I said I wanted to start really slow to get used to it and nerves will be there your first time. The first weekend I was on Continental Road attack sport touring tires, by the end of the weekend we took about 10 seconds off our lap times and dragged both knees, never came close to loosing grip. I moved up to bt014s for the next 2 weekends brought our times down another 6-8 seconds never sliped once because of tires. Last time I was on Avon Azaro sp pros and got our times down to mid 1:30s. We were told to move up to intermediate and still haven't reached the limits of the tires. Like I said before, it's ultimatley your choice and if you've got the money buy what makes you comfortable.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:24 AM
SuperSport

Loco
I would go with the Cheng Shins, they seem to be a good value.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:26 AM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Loco";p=&quot
I would go with the Cheng Shins, they seem to be a good value.

LOLO, they handled awesome on my fiddy. LOL
Old 03-03-2006, 08:27 AM
MotoGP

Hey now! Those things last forever.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:39 AM
SuperSport

which one? The fiddy or the tires?
Old 03-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Squid

Turbodgixxer
I have run 1:24's at louden, on dunlop 208ZR's. They are a good all rounder, and unless you are superfast, they are a bit less expensive than track only rubbers, but hold great. They last twice as long as track rubber, but when you get to the point of some grip problems, then switch to the GP's or slicks. My best is a 1:18, but that's on gp's, and slightly different suspension settings. First timers, use very aggressive street tires. After a few trips, and learning more, then switch to real meat.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:17 PM
Squid

evil-kev
Re: What beginner race tires

I highly recommend Metzeler Rennsport, they heat up quickly nice and sticky wicked turn in, a fantastic tyre I will not change, brilliant for road and track I recommend everyone to change make you storm handle.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:30 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by evil-kev";p=&quot
I highly recommend Metzeler Rennsport, they heat up quickly nice and sticky wicked turn in, a fantastic tyre I will not change, brilliant for road and track I recommend everyone to change make you storm handle.
Those were rated best by a UK mag.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Squid

evil-kev

not sure of the mag mate but they work used them for 3 years track race and road
Old 03-07-2006, 05:12 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
The Rennsport are no longer made, right?
Old 03-08-2006, 04:54 AM
Squid

xcooper

I am no expert on tires, but I have done several track days on my Hawk. I currently have Michelin Pilot Sports and they work very well, as well as the Mez Sportech's. I would highly recommend you stay away from any tires that say Race on them, unless you plan on spending high dollars to gusset and stiffen the frame and brace the swingarm. The frame of the of superhawk was designed to flex as you ride. Adding superstiff, supersticky tires will just add to this "flexing" and make the bike handle worse. The week spot in the handling of the S'Hawk is the frame and swingarm. I actually ran quicker times on good street tires than I did on race tires. Not sure if anyone has experienced the same thing or not, But thats what I found in my research.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:08 AM
SuperSport

Yes, I know we generally overdo ourselves by riding on the latest race tire out there but you are right, it will handle worse and I don't think you get any better traction on the street because for a race tire to work at its optimum, it needs heat and on the street there is no way in hell you gonna reach high temps. Pilot powers or diablos for the street are perfect. I used 208s and I cannot complain about them either, they worked great even going to the dragon 3 times.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:11 AM
Squid

Turbodgixxer
How did this post get to a "Race tire on the Street" post? This is for a biker going on the track, so we should not be confusing the street thread with a track tire thread. Am I wrong on this?
Old 03-08-2006, 08:45 AM
Squid

evil-kev

marmaladeboy not sure what you are on about go to www.uk.metzelermoto.com they are still available. O I see head still in ****, not to worry
Old 03-08-2006, 10:39 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

They are still available, but only in the UK. Most of the forum members here are located in the US or Canada, and the Rennsport is no longer available in North America (brand new from Metzeler).
Old 03-08-2006, 10:43 AM
Squid

evil-kev

they will mail order world wide
Old 03-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

True, but that will also add extra cost to the tires.

As tire technology is constantly improving, you can have newer and better for less.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:33 PM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point

my bike came with pilot race h2 awsome tires I have never been to a track day but these might be a good choice. they are super confidence enspiring. but for these rough MI, roads I chewed them up in 3000,miles and they seem pricey
Old 03-09-2006, 09:00 PM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point

I have found the Pilot Powers to be an outstanding set of skins.
I dog the poop out of them at Deal's Gap and just did a track day at Barber.
They last longer than I could expect and the grip is really good.
After 1500-2000 miles on the road, and the track day at Barber, they still have life left in them.

Running them hard at the race track was the first time I have ever had them pill up like race rubber.
I'm no expert - not by a long shot - but I can ride well enought to test a tire pretty hard.
The PPs were ridden completely to the edge, front and rear, and never complained once. Great tires!

BTW, based on temp, track, my riding style, etc. I settled on 30/30 psi and that worked very well.

NOW....as much as I like the Michelins, I just ordered a set of the new Dunlop Qualifiers. Competition Accessories has a web special "package deal". Front and rear for $199.00

I'm fortunate enough to have some buddies who are good riders. We ride together at Deal's Gap and they do track days also.
We all pretty much run Pilot powers.

I'd say until you get to true race speeds and loads, the PPs or the Qualifiers, or one of a few others, will do more than you are likely to ask of them.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:05 PM
MotoGP

I just ordered mine the other day I guess we'll both see if the hype is for real. :wink: I haven't used Dunlops since I bought the bike in 2000 either so I've got my fingers crossed.