Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

What beginner race tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 06:04 PM
Back Marker

barrysuperhawk
What beginner race tires

I finally booked my track days this year, all 8 of them! I have been amassing gear and equipment over the past year, and I have the bulk of what I'll need. I currently have a set of Sportec's mounted that only have a hair over 1000 miles on them, so I should be good at least for my first couple of days. I also have a set of spare rims, with no rubber on them.

My plan is to have one set of streeties and one set of track tires, so I don't have to constantly mount and dismount. My local dealer has set's of MEZ4's for $200, so I think I have the street tire thing covered. The next item is Race tires.

My priorities are simple, I expect I will be ponderously slow by track standards, since I am 100% beginner. I can afford just about any rubber out there, and am sold on the concept that the quality of my rubber will be the only thing between me and a crash. That said, local dealers only seem to want to sell me whatever they have in stock, or have the highest margins on. I know I probably don't need full-on race slicks, but I don't have a frame of reference as to the middle ground.

What tires should I be looking at, or what tires SHOULDNT I be looking at?

Mez Racetech's got good reviews, but noplace admits to being able to get them.

Some of the more inexpensive manufacturers offer "racing" tires in soft and super soft compounds [shinko, Tomahawk] but I am leery of a $60 tire. That may be silly, or prudent, I dunno, but since the cost of failure is my own ***, I would like to be sure...

Another question is Tire Warmers....

What do y'all use?
Old 03-01-2006, 06:30 PM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
Pirelli diablo corsas or even regular diablos, pirelli pilot powers or bridgestone bt 014 and last but not least dunlop d 208 GP, not ZR.
I know metzeler has a special on their race tire the mezt racetech at ronayers.com. Buy the rear and get the front for free.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:31 PM
SuperSport

Shinko is a drag tire, not a race tire and the tomahawk are crap. Be safe and choose a good tire.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:53 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you're a novice you really don't "need" a full on race tire yet. I've been running good quality street tires at the track for all of my track days so far that's 8 days, 4, 2 day trips. Until you get REALLY fast today's street tires give plenty of grip. It's only when you're tearing it up that you "need" the extra grip provided and the race tires won't last as long. I've been getting 2-4 days on street tires with plenty left over for the street after wait till next trip buy 2 new tires. I run mid 1:30s on a track that has a lap record of 1:16.9 to give you an idea of how I ride,(not the fastest but I did get bumped to intermidiate for being too fast) and you can look at the avatar to see if I get full lean that was with Avon Azaro tires.
After saying all that the choice is ultimately up to you I personally like Bridgestone but have heard good things about others as well. Most of the major tire companies make great tires but you will have to slightly adjust suspension to fit the tires.

As far as warmers most are set to what tires you use, (each tire has a different temp), chikenhawks are good quality, if money is no object get one that has a temp dial and gauge so you don't fry them. There's also a company called tyresox that sells sets for $175. You need to keep an eye on them though because there's no gauge, you turn them on for a few minutes and then unplug them and the heat stays in. Or you can just take it easy for the first lap and gradually get faster that's all I've been doing.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:41 PM
MotoGP

I also forgot to mention dunlop Qualifiers, they are supposed to grip as well as michiliens entry race tire but last longer than the polit powers. Then there's this about Michiliens new tire kinda supports what I was saying about street tires. How the hell do you vote anyway?
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/nav?pa...y=SPORT_MOTOGP
Old 03-01-2006, 09:07 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Re: What beginner race tires

I use stock tires when I hit the track......well ok, I have never been on a track before....but I could, and I will....someday.....maybe....well we'll see....but if I do, I will use stock tires.....ok, maybe not....but I could, no no I couldn't......ok I am done now......
Old 03-01-2006, 09:09 PM
MotoGP

Uh oh look out for the thread jacker.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:14 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

I heard that on the cliffs of Dover, you can send a man right over....far from the beach, yet close to the rock, time to think, but not to stop.....

Thread Jacker.....tish.....Thread Takeover!!!!!
Old 03-01-2006, 09:16 PM
MotoGP

Dover eh I don't think I'm going to Dover any time soon.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Twas a joke....
Old 03-01-2006, 09:19 PM
MotoGP

Thus the laughing face.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:21 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Are you just trying to add post, to build up your numbers???? Well I am LOL
Old 03-01-2006, 09:21 PM
MotoGP

I thought it was funny.......really.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:22 PM
MotoGP

Alright this needs to stop!
Old 03-01-2006, 09:24 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Ok, I will stop it right now...
Old 03-01-2006, 09:24 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
+1 on not needing DOT Race rubber

There's a WSMC racer around these parts who is amazingly fast on street tires. STREET tires. Granted, he uses race tires when racing, but just to prove how good the tire technology was he threw on a set of street tires.

Could you benefit from Race tires? Sure. But it's extra work and prep that you really don't need to worry about if it's your first few times at the track.

My friend has had great success with Pilot Powers. I've never tried them, but I have tried Pirelli Diablo Corsa and Metzeler Sportec M1 street tires on the track. I've also tried the Dunlop 208GPA and Michelin Pilot Race DOT race tires.

Far and away, the race tires were much better. The Pilot Race in particular did everything I asked of them. The GPAs were a bit vague on turn-in and through the turn. I have no complaints with Diablo Corsa, but they're not as compliant as the Pilot Race. The M1s were decent, and heated up quickly. But they practically melted after one trackday.

Tomahawks are really really bad. I've nothing good to say about them.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:25 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Ok, I will stop it right now...
Old 03-01-2006, 09:26 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Really, I will
Old 03-01-2006, 09:37 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

If you've nothing constructive to post...just post once. :P
Old 03-02-2006, 09:03 AM
SuperSport

Loco
^^^ Thats kinda hypocritical isn't it? ^^^

I ran street tires out on my first trackday, and they weren't even new street tires. Because I had to switch out my front (it was incredibly worn and the techs wouldn't let me out on the track with it) I had to run a Metzeler rear and a D208 Front. While I would have preferred it the other way around, I had good enough traction for my first track day.

I've heard very good things about the Michelin Pilot series, and all of their tires seem to do what they were designed to do, and very well.

My track has a special on Michelin tires, so if I were to get raceday tires, I would probably go with Pilot Race. The only problem is you have to have extra rims and a place to put them (kinda rules out riding your bike to the track). If I can get them for a decent price, it would probably be a good investment, but until I get to the point where my tires can't keep up with my wrist, I'm running street tires.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:56 AM
MotoGP

This just in....Metzler is having a promotion where if you buy the rear race tech they will send you a free front check here for details. Thought this might help if you really want race tires, I think it's only good for one time use.

http://www.getmetzeler.com/home.html
Old 03-02-2006, 12:32 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

The promotion has been on for some time now.

And you can get it more than once. You just need to be sneaky about it.

And apparently there is the same deal for the Pirelli Strada. Not exactly a track tire, but in case someone wanted to get a free front...

And yes, my previous post was kinda hypocritical. :P
Old 03-02-2006, 12:35 PM
MotoGP

Good point I just remebered it because of this post only 217 left as well. I only left it out because it's a sport tour tire but it's supposed to be a real good street tire.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:36 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

Originally Posted by superhawk22";p=&quot
Good point. I only left it out becaure it's a sport tour tire but it's supposed to be a real good street tire.
I figured you knew about that one, since you knew of the Racetec offer.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Back Marker

barrysuperhawk
Originally Posted by AZZKIKER";p=&quot
Pirelli diablo corsas or even regular diablos, pirelli pilot powers or bridgestone bt 014 and last but not least dunlop d 208 GP, not ZR.
I know metzeler has a special on their race tire the mezt racetech at ronayers.com. Buy the rear and get the front for free.
B.O.G.O.F.!! you rock dude... now, What compound? K1 or k2 [soft or supersoft] and why or why not?? Does tire compound work in a logical fashion, in that a supersoft tire will have the most grip, but the soft tire will last comparatively longer. As a slow rider, it would seem like the supersoft would be better because I get more grip but being slow, I am in little danger of burning them up... Or am I missing something?
Old 03-02-2006, 10:06 PM
SuperSport

It depends on your skill and how hard you push it on the track. I think soft should be just fine for 95% of the riders out there but if you ride ***** and knees dragging with a new liter bike and money is no object, then I would get the supersoft compound as they will last for about 1 or 2 trackdays.
If you are novice/intermediate, any good street tire would do. I am partial to the michelin pilot power or pirelli diablo corsa. The metzeler racetechs were voted the best track tire by of the big UK magazines.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:13 PM
MotoGP

You can get that special anywhere so look for the best price I guess I missed that part of his post. I think you may be missing the point a little though. Since you aren't in the expert group go with the ones that last longest because you won't be able to use the tires full potential anyway. Just a little advice and don't take it the wrong way it was told to me and has worked great. Leave your ego at home when you go to the track, don't try to be the fastest guy there rightaway. Work your times up slowly getting to really know the "feel" of your bike so you know what will happen before it happens. The quickest way to ruin a track day is to crash and go home,(hopefully in one piece),my bigest goal on trackdays is not to crash but that's just me. I know this all sounds cliche but one more baby steps.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:22 PM
MotoGP

So I guess what I'm trying to say if you go with the Metz go with the K2.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Back Marker

barrysuperhawk
Originally Posted by superhawk22";p=&quot
<SNIP>I think you may be missing the point a little though. Since you aren't in the expert group go with the ones that last longest because you won't be able to use the tires full potential anyway. Just a little advice and don't take it the wrong way it was told to me and has worked great. Leave your ego at home when you go to the track, don't try to be the fastest guy there rightaway. Work your times up slowly getting to really know the "feel" of your bike so you know what will happen before it happens. The quickest way to ruin a track day is to crash and go home,(hopefully in one piece),my bigest goal on trackdays is not to crash but that's just me. I know this all sounds cliche but one more baby steps.
Ok, allow me to be clear: My purpose is to avoid crashing. I 100% agree that I will be one of the slowest guys out there, with very little talent to boot. My reasoning behind tire selection is if I can find a tire that wil be more forgiving, stick harder, and generally perform it's job to a peak, then I ought to be safer...

Think of it this way, I wouldn't think of running Cheng Shin's on the track, because they likely wouldn't be any good, and woldn't stick very well. The opposite has to also be true - better tires should work better and be safer - reguardless of wheather I am riding at 60% pace or 90% pace... Right???
Old 03-02-2006, 10:25 PM
SuperSport

What superhawk22 said. i would go with the soft and not the supersoft if you are going with the racetechs.

Quick Reply: What beginner race tires