Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Valve Adjustments on the hawk?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Back Marker

Vega (streetfighter) is on a distinguished road
Valve Adjustments on the hawk?

On other forums I have read about people having to perform valve adjustments every so often on thier bike. Is that something that we have to do with our SH? If so how often and how? I ride every day so I want to stay up on the maintanence to keep my bird running smooth.

Also, I posted another thread a week ago about my bird not firing up right away and the responce I got back is its prob running lean due to the change in air density from the climate change. What my question is now will my starting system be drained if it takes me a few trys to start the bird up in the morning?
Old 10-12-2008, 10:51 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
you should check the valves according to the owners manual maintenance intervals, I don't have those in front of me now. What year and how many miles on yours,, and do you know if they have ever been checked? The checking insn't too bad a job, but the changing will require you to either be a reasonably mechanical type or very motivated to learn how to do it correctly. Its shim under bucket (under cam) so requires cam removal to change shims.
the starting system should be fine, any battery drain would get recharged while riding any distance.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:54 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
http://downloads.hondatech.info/Moto...e%20Manual.pdf

Vega;

Valve clearance check is every 16k miles. The maintenance schedule for everything on the VTR is on page 3-3 of the service manual. Procedure for valve clearance check is on page 3-7. If you don't have it already, the service manual is invaluable for working on the bike.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Back Marker

Vega (streetfighter) is on a distinguished road
Right on for the responses. The bike has about 14K on it (02 model)and I bought it with about 10500. Dont think previous owner did an adjustment. Its gettin close so I will plan to get it done sometime soon. I dont have a hard copy of the manuel, but I did download one to my computer at home.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:29 AM
Squid

dsevans is on a distinguished road
please advise on checking valves

I see the pictures in the manual of checking the valves. I have the cam covers off (for cct change) and want to know if i need some special feeler guage. They look bent in the shape of a "Z". I have flat feeler guages and wan tto know if they will work?
Thanks.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:39 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dsevans
I see the pictures in the manual of checking the valves. I have the cam covers off (for cct change) and want to know if i need some special feeler guage. They look bent in the shape of a "Z". I have flat feeler guages and wan tto know if they will work?
Thanks.
Not very well.... It' hard to get a good straight shot. Hence the angled feeler you see in the service manual.

You can bend a feeler blade also to make it easier.. Just get an individual blade (snap on and Matco sell um)
Old 12-30-2008, 03:28 PM
aka sirch345. vtr1000.org
Back Marker

ripvanwinkle is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TXSuperChicken
Not very well.... It' hard to get a good straight shot. Hence the angled feeler you see in the service manual.

You can bend a feeler blade also to make it easier.. Just get an individual blade (snap on and Matco sell um)
I agree with TXSC, definitely much easier with cranked feelers and using them individually. See link for picture of what they look like if you're not sure:-
CLICKY

Chris.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:48 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
With 14k on the bike you'd be very unlucky to have to swap any shims. I've got 46k and I've never done an actual adjustment, though they are nearing the edges of the specification.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:19 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
i got my valves checked at 20kms, 12k miles. the exhaust valves on the rear cyl had to adjusted. had cam chain checked too, and a few other things.

ounce of prevention, pound of cure.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:46 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
That's one thing I liked about owning a BMW twin for 15 years before going to the SuperHawk, 20 minute valve adjustments (I did them as often as every 1,000 miles).

But like noted above, bucket lifters with shims can maintain correct lash for a LONG time.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Squid

dsevans is on a distinguished road
What is your experience with valves? Do they usually increase clearance or decrease. I had one intake on the front, that .004 would go in, .005 would not go all the way. Spec is .005 to .007. Would do the adjustment for this? 8700 miles on the bike. The other 7 valve clearances were right on.
Thanks.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dsevans
What is your experience with valves? Do they usually increase clearance or decrease. I had one intake on the front, that .004 would go in, .005 would not go all the way. Spec is .005 to .007. Would do the adjustment for this? 8700 miles on the bike. The other 7 valve clearances were right on.
Thanks.
The clearance decreases as the valve face wears.