Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

TURBO POSSIBLE? HOW MUCH?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 06:35 AM
Squid

ETHAN is on a distinguished road
TURBO POSSIBLE? HOW MUCH?

I HAVE A 2000 SUPERHAWK I WANT TO PUT A TURBO ON IT THIS WINTER. IS IT POSSIBLE AND IS IT SUPER EXPENSIVE?
THANKS ETHAN
Old 09-24-2008, 07:03 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
yes. yes.

search function works good here...

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=12892
Old 09-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Back Marker

Tonyizcool1 is on a distinguished road
I think I saw one on youtube once. I am a firm believer when it comes to custom work......Anything is possible just not always cost effective.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:45 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Didn't people used to use oxygen pumps from cars back inna' day? More supercharge than turbo, but probably way cheaper.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:53 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Why not just put it on the bottle....Nitrous!!!!
Old 09-28-2008, 08:39 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Gregw
Didn't people used to use oxygen pumps from cars back inna' day? More supercharge than turbo, but probably way cheaper.
Yeah, a smog pump from a 1976 Chrysler Cordoba would work. Just run a belt from a pulley off the end of the crankshaft, then attach a hose to the air intake.

Seriously, it does work. I saw one back in the late '70s on a Chevy Luv with a small block shoehorned under the hood. The Luv didn't really need the smog pump blower with the V8 though.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:17 PM
Squid

I have heard I can get everything for around 3,500 is it going to make my hawk 3,500 bucks faster? Is it worth it is what I am trying to say, with some gearing changes is 200mph achievable?
Old 09-30-2008, 07:35 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
i love the guys helmet in the video of him doing a burnout. i wonder where he purchased it?
Old 09-30-2008, 07:53 PM
Squid

JB4XX is on a distinguished road
Just sell it and buy a zx14.

I have a turbo Blackbird, very expensive and insane fast.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:04 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

Originally Posted by ETHAN
I have heard I can get everything for around 3,500 is it going to make my hawk 3,500 bucks faster? Is it worth it is what I am trying to say, with some gearing changes is 200mph achievable?
If you can get 262hp, yep 200mph is easy
Old 09-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
200MPH on a bike that puts out 100-110 horse stock. You are going to have have at least 190hp on tap. Speed isnt the thing to overcome its drag.

If I remember correctly (it has been a few years) if it takes 30 horse power (for example) to hit 100mph it takes 4 times the amount of horse power to hit 120mph.

The superhawk bottom end, not to mention the rest of the engine, would never take that much power, without being HIGHLY modified. The engine is not designed for high rpm use. The faster you spin a engine the more Hp you can produce

Go for it if you like, but it will be a expensive adventure.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:09 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Horsepower is Torque X RPM X 5252. Turbos don't make engines rev faster, they increase the torque factor trough cylinder pressure. Aside from the cylinder placement, the SH engine is very turbo friendly, low compression, mild cams, strong engine.
If you don't get into a horsepower craze, that's what's end most turbo engine life, you could keep it together.
You could probably get 6 to 8 pounds on premium and up to 15 pounds on race gas on stock compression, with some ignition tweaks and the mandatory fuel injection.
With a built engine, rods, 8.5 compression pistons, stainless valves you could get to 15 psi on premium, but I would not attempt to go any further without sleeving the block, having the heads O-ringed, billet crank and more $$$
The durability of a turbo engine is determined by the way it's driven, short pulls, smooth driving, cool downs after pulls, no "more horsepower" craze...

As for a 200 MPH run yes it will break that speed easily, but personally I would not try to go to that speed with a SH chassis, they are just not stiff enough, but it's you life and you have the right to do what you please. A top speed run is very demanding on an engine, if it goes wrong it will be after a while, exhaust valve melting, piston, detonation, rod trough the crankcase... engine lockup at very high speed, it happened to me and it's probably THE thing that slowed me down a lot, I realized that I don't have the total control and never had.

So 3500 $ will cover a turbo, custom exhaust, piping, airbox, maybe a small intercooler, but not the fuel injection, dyno tuning and the countless hours of custom fabrication.
The only was I see this is that you build it yourself.
Good luck, I tackled this project myself and it still in y brain on a shelf, until I get the cash flowing
Old 10-01-2008, 04:16 AM
Squid

Horsepower is Torque X RPM X 5252. Turbos don't make engines rev faster, they increase the torque factor trough cylinder pressure. Aside from the cylinder placement, the SH engine is very turbo friendly, low compression, mild cams, strong engine.
If you don't get into a horsepower craze, that's what's end most turbo engine life, you could keep it together.
You could probably get 6 to 8 pounds on premium and up to 15 pounds on race gas on stock compression, with some ignition tweaks and the mandatory fuel injection.
With a built engine, rods, 8.5 compression pistons, stainless valves you could get to 15 psi on premium, but I would not attempt to go any further without sleeving the block, having the heads O-ringed, billet crank and more $$$
The durability of a turbo engine is determined by the way it's driven, short pulls, smooth driving, cool downs after pulls, no "more horsepower" craze...

As for a 200 MPH run yes it will break that speed easily, but personally I would not try to go to that speed with a SH chassis, they are just not stiff enough, but it's you life and you have the right to do what you please. A top speed run is very demanding on an engine, if it goes wrong it will be after a while, exhaust valve melting, piston, detonation, rod trough the crankcase... engine lockup at very high speed, it happened to me and it's probably THE thing that slowed me down a lot, I realized that I don't have the total control and never had.

So 3500 $ will cover a turbo, custom exhaust, piping, airbox, maybe a small intercooler, but not the fuel injection, dyno tuning and the countless hours of custom fabrication.
The only was I see this is that you build it yourself.
Good luck, I tackled this project myself and it still in y brain on a shelf, until I get the cash flowing
WOW thanks this info really helped me out I might be getting in alittle over my head. I like the hawk I just wish it was alittle faster.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:30 AM
Back Marker

StoneJrW is on a distinguished road
WOW thanks this info really helped me out I might be getting in alittle over my head. I like the hawk I just wish it was alittle faster.
Well a little faster can be had with other mods besides turbo and cheaper. Just take an afternoon and read through all the available threads here.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:19 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

Nitrous, then.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:03 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by gboezio
Aside from the cylinder placement, the SH engine is very turbo friendly, low compression, mild cams, strong engine.flowing

I could not agree more.

With my comment about the bottom end I was thinking about the way the conn rods are attached to the crank. The knife and fork style attachment. This can be a big weakness.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Squid

Tysonb is on a distinguished road
Hmmm I bet that a N02 kit would make the hawk fly in the straights Plus with proper switch placement you would not have to worry about the ill effects of boost in a corner.

Dang it, new winter project.

I was thinking about trying to fab up a overflow tank for the gas tank in the rear area, guess I will have to find a few small bottles to go there instead
Old 10-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
where are you going to ride 200mph?? after you wad it up who's gona pay the dr bill's?? when did you get you eng. degree?? why is this a stupid idea?? you could take the easy way out and strap a rocket to your ***!
Old 10-02-2008, 02:07 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by divingindaytona
I could not agree more.

With my comment about the bottom end I was thinking about the way the conn rods are attached to the crank. The knife and fork style attachment. This can be a big weakness.
Yeah those Harley's are weak and they keep making the same mistake every time they build an engine
IMO it's one of the worst engine design ever made, but hey they sell why bother
But Honda's engineers know better, they used strong I beams rods, they share a common journal and are placed side by side, these could take a lot of abuse before they bend.

Last edited by gboezio; 10-02-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by gboezio
But Honda's engineers know better, they used strong I beams rods, they share a common journal and are placed side by side, these could take a lot of abuse before they bend.
I could be wrong here, but I thought that the 650 hawk and the superhawk had a knife and fork style conn rod attachment.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:49 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

Pic is worth a thousand words

Originally Posted by divingindaytona
I could be wrong here, but I thought that the 650 hawk and the superhawk had a knife and fork style conn rod attachment.
the haynes manual has pics of them sharing a common journal... but won't upload today for some reason... thousand words commences now: