Turbo Superhawk?...yeah

wish the video was clearer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjkkKGI0HR0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjkkKGI0HR0
Old 10-08-2007, 11:49 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
o.. how satisfying, yet not.... now I want one too.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Aftre ridding some of the last tries of a turbo from the factory all I can say is- no thanks.....
Old 10-08-2007, 02:42 PM
Squid

Pete187Rock is on a distinguished road
what a waste
Old 10-08-2007, 08:49 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Why is the throttle response so slow?
Old 10-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nuhawk
Why is the throttle response so slow?
Slow as a pig with the turbo off - a rocket when the turbo kicks in, which is great unless you're leaned over in a corner when it hits....
and that's just for starters......
Old 10-25-2007, 10:24 AM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Slow as a pig with the turbo off - a rocket when the turbo kicks in, which is great unless you're leaned over in a corner when it hits....
and that's just for starters......
Bah. That's just plain ridiculous. I have yet to ride a turbo bike (And I have ridden MANY) that is unrideable due to it doing unwanted acceleration leaned over. It just doesn't work like that. I have been wanting to turbo my VTR. I wish there were better views of how he got it all routed...

Man...that looks like fun.

-R
Old 10-25-2007, 11:07 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
I agree

Originally Posted by wyldryce
Bah. That's just plain ridiculous. I have yet to ride a turbo bike (And I have ridden MANY) that is unrideable due to it doing unwanted acceleration leaned over. It just doesn't work like that. I have been wanting to turbo my VTR. I wish there were better views of how he got it all routed...

Man...that looks like fun.

-R
Without details & dyno charts we don't know but with its relatively low compression ratio, the packaging is the main issue. I see a single centerup can, so the intake, blower location & exhaust plumbing is the key. Fuel injection can be more tricky but its hypothetically possible to make a carburated turbo or supercharger work quite well will minimal lag and reasonable throttle response.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:49 AM
Superstock
Superstock

Originally Posted by skokievtr
Without details & dyno charts we don't know but with its relatively low compression ratio, the packaging is the main issue. I see a single centerup can, so the intake, blower location & exhaust plumbing is the key. Fuel injection can be more tricky but its hypothetically possible to make a carburated turbo or supercharger work quite well will minimal lag and reasonable throttle response.
Yeah, If I do it, it'll be blowing through the stock carbs. My friend Ryan, who makes a mean turbo'd ZRX and has also done a DRZ-400-SM that he turbo'd and is building my second generation system for my bandit (on hold at the moment) has gotten carb tuning with a turbo down to a pretty good science. The Bandit is going with Megasquirt and R1 throttle bodies, but I don't think I'd want to reinvent the wheel with the VTR. Just a good blowthrough system. I wish I could see that guys setup better...but it looks all reasonable well hidden. Turbo looks like it sits under the seat.

-R
Old 10-25-2007, 12:10 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Yeah, If I do it, it'll be blowing through the stock carbs. My friend Ryan, who makes a mean turbo'd ZRX and has also done a DRZ-400-SM that he turbo'd and is building my second generation system for my bandit (on hold at the moment) has gotten carb tuning with a turbo down to a pretty good science. The Bandit is going with Megasquirt and R1 throttle bodies, but I don't think I'd want to reinvent the wheel with the VTR. Just a good blowthrough system. I wish I could see that guys setup better...but it looks all reasonable well hidden. Turbo looks like it sits under the seat.

-R
Some ducting in & out under the seat would well be advised, eh? Put the battery where the chin fairing is to help reduce wheelies!!
Old 10-25-2007, 12:12 PM
Squid

why the hell would you wanna turbo a VTR???
Old 10-25-2007, 12:16 PM
Superstock
Superstock

Originally Posted by Pete187Rock
why the hell would you wanna turbo a VTR???
I guess I fail to see why not? Aside from the difficulty in packaging it, what would keep you from wanting to do it?

Hmm...I guess we are bound to differ on opinions on this one... but I would love to have the VTR's powerband on steriods! It would just be a quicker revving VTR, with easily almost double the power and 130 ft/lbs of torque. What is not to like about that?

It turns and stops well, it's light...and you'd have the power to embarrass just about anything out there. And its unique. I could go on and on.

Ride my turbo'd bandit or my buddies turbo'd ZRX, and its a life altering experience.

-R
Old 10-25-2007, 12:28 PM
Superstock

Anto is on a distinguished road
Turbo RC51 is where it's at

I'd like to turbo a 600. Light ++
Old 10-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Superstock
Superstock

Originally Posted by Anto
Turbo RC51 is where it's at

I'd like to turbo a 600. Light ++

Well sure. I'd love to turbo any number of sport twins out there. I just happen to own a VTR, and they are cheap and fairly plentiful.

As far as a 600, it can be done, and has. But its awfully peaky to be much fun as a street ride. Displacement of at least a liter sure helps keep off boost performance somewhat acceptable. Besides...there are tons of light liter platforms out there. Hell, the VTR is WAYYYYY lighter than either my bandit or my zx-11d, so I already feel good riding it, plus the riding position is humane to my beat up, aging body.

-R
Old 10-25-2007, 12:55 PM
Squid

I guess I fail to see why not? Aside from the difficulty in packaging it, what would keep you from wanting to do it?

Hmm...I guess we are bound to differ on opinions on this one... but I would love to have the VTR's powerband on steriods! It would just be a quicker revving VTR, with easily almost double the power and 130 ft/lbs of torque. What is not to like about that?

It turns and stops well, it's light...and you'd have the power to embarrass just about anything out there. And its unique. I could go on and on.

Ride my turbo'd bandit or my buddies turbo'd ZRX, and its a life altering experience.

-R

You ride alot of straight lines dont ya?
Old 10-25-2007, 12:56 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Well that's all good but the problem with trying it with a VTR is the chassis. When you box the frame, change the front end, brace the swingarm the chassis can handle up to around 140 hp. Anything more than that and you start destroying engine cases at the swing arm pivot. It's like the problem the Duc's used to have. If you don't believe it then just give Erion a call. They had the same problem with their VTR.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Old 10-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Well that's all good but the problem with trying it with a VTR is the chassis. When you box the frame, change the front end, brace the swingarm the chassis can handle up to around 140 hp. Anything more than that and you start destroying engine cases at the swing arm pivot. It's like the problem the Duc's used to have. If you don't believe it then just give Erion a call. They had the same problem with their VTR.

That and the fact that unless your gonna use it simply as a drag bike your just making a cheep bike turn into a cheeper bike. lol
Old 10-25-2007, 01:45 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

bdizzle is on a distinguished road
What about this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSmxaORvBQI
Old 10-25-2007, 01:46 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by bdizzle

Yeah saw that **** before and thats scary as ****. lol I would drive it though.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

bdizzle is on a distinguished road
Did you see this one. The guy takes his kart out on the freeway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYREdEJLWyA
Old 10-25-2007, 01:58 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by bdizzle
Did you see this one. The guy takes his kart out on the freeway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYREdEJLWyA

now that looks like fun!@!!
Old 10-25-2007, 02:04 PM
Superstock
Superstock

got a lot more mountains around here than Georgia does!
Old 10-25-2007, 02:07 PM
Squid

got a lot more mountains around here than Georgia does!

And Im sure that turbo comes in REAL handy in the mountains.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:20 PM
Superstock
Superstock

And Im sure that turbo comes in REAL handy in the mountains.
Come to washington and follow me up Windy Ridge at Mt. St. Helens, and I'll let you be the judge.

Look, I never said I was the fastest one around a track. But I fail to see why more power is a bad thing? I have yet to have anybody ever ride my turbo'd bike and fail to see the point of it. Its your wrist that controls the power folks. Are you saying you can't handle more power? Why do people do mods to their bikes then? Better leave the stock exhaust on, and don't rejet it! Don't want it getting away from you in the corners!
Old 10-25-2007, 02:24 PM
Squid

Come to washington and follow me up Windy Ridge at Mt. St. Helens, and I'll let you be the judge.

Look, I never said I was the fastest one around a track. But I fail to see why more power is a bad thing? I have yet to have anybody ever ride my turbo'd bike and fail to see the point of it. Its your wrist that controls the power folks. Are you saying you can't handle more power? Why do people do mods to their bikes then? Better leave the stock exhaust on, and don't rejet it! Don't want it getting away from you in the corners!
oh damn, not another i am faster than you in the mountains deal. lol dude ride your own ride and be safe. My point is youre never gonna ride a VTR on the street stock to its full potential let alone a turboed one. lol If it was a race bike then thats a different story but a street bike? cmon IF it makes you happy then by all means have at it, who am I to bust your bubble. Just seems like a waste of energy to me.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:41 PM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
man i can ride my ol hawk on the back rodes around here to its full potential, the sand on the roads make it a lil harry at times but the hawk aint no superbike either. plus a turbo on a torquey engine would b kinda cool if it was set up right. a turboed 600 would b a waste i would think. there would b way too much top end with nothing to get you there. but then a well tuned turboed hawk with full suspension mods and a fork swap prolly still wouldnt b much more power/performance/handleing then like a 1000RR. sadly.

Last edited by Zedicus; 10-25-2007 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:46 PM
Superstock
Superstock

oh damn, not another i am faster than you in the mountains deal. lol dude ride your own ride and be safe. My point is youre never gonna ride a VTR on the street stock to its full potential let alone a turboed one. lol If it was a race bike then thats a different story but a street bike? cmon IF it makes you happy then by all means have at it, who am I to bust your bubble. Just seems like a waste of energy to me.

I can see why you'd say that if haven't ridden one. A judicious throttle hand is what will get you home alive, that and a strong survival instinct, coupled with a nice dash of good luck. As I see it, sportbikes are about having fun. I put serious miles on my bikes and need them to be as comfortable as possible due to some injuries that life has thrown my way over the years. Hence, I ride a comfortable bike like a bandit or a VTR. They are sensible in many regards, and a "function over form" kinda ride. I love that about them. That being said, I love a hot rod too. I also like having something different than everybody else. I won't ride a gsxryzfrzxcbr like everybody else, cause they don't fit me physically very well (they hurt) and because of squid connotations that the public lumps upon you when you ride something like that.

Also, Turbo's are a hell of a lot friendlier on a drivetrain and chassis compared to a N/A engine making similar power, due to the way the power hits, which is why I expect that a turbo'd VTR would survive a lot better than a built Erion Honda N/A bike would. None the less, if it doesn't, it turns out that VTR engines aren't that hard to come by.

I just see it as making a good thing that much better, and therefore, TOTALLY worth the effort. Not that I am saying its next on my list...everything around my house gets a turbo. I think the Jack Russell terrier is next.

-R
Old 10-25-2007, 02:48 PM
Superstock
Superstock

Originally Posted by Zedicus
but then a well tuned turboed hawk with full suspension mods and a fork swap prolly still wouldnt b much more power/performance/handleing then like a 1000RR. sadly.
Nope, you are probably right. But then again, it would be a hell of a lot cooler...