Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

turbo VTR

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 04:58 AM
Squid

zimr2006 is on a distinguished road
turbo VTR

g'day all I'm from Austraila and hav just got myself a VTR . Its Chassis is a stat write off ( which is to say it cannot be registered but it has no structual damage ) I was wondering if anyone has turboed a vtr befor and if so how it was done, wether it used a drawthrough set up or blowthrough set up, I'm intrested in doing this to mine ( just because i can)

Any help or information reguarding this modification would be greatly appricated

Cheers Clive.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:16 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Ok, now I think we know it is someone messing with us....LOL....Nice one...Cheers
Old 05-30-2006, 06:37 AM
Squid

no I'm serious I've done an oil cooled gsxr750 and want to do a v twin
Old 05-30-2006, 06:46 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ead.php?t=2793

Maybe the two of you can get together....
Old 05-30-2006, 08:44 AM
Squid

Cheers cliffhanger
Old 05-30-2006, 09:17 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
This, no matter what others say, is not impossible nor do I think it would be that hard to do. There are lots of companies making turbos for bikes and I personally use to ride with a guy that did an Aerocharger, (now iboost), on his Buell which hauled ***! Here's an article I found in Motorcyclist that might be of intrest to you and others.

http://motorcyclistonline.com/roadte...riumph_harley/
Old 05-30-2006, 11:21 AM
Squid

G'day superhawk and all i have a farily good background in normaly assprated motors and am building a turbo gsxr 750 with no probs so far, I'm a fitter and boiler maker by trade and manufacture everything that i need to, there is a lot of info for designs of headers for IL4s but not much for V Twins but i guess that the principle is the same, ( keep the pipes to the same length/volume, keep bends to a minium with the bigest radius diameters) so i got a farily good idea of how i'm going to do the Ex manifold just got to work on the inlet side of things, ie plenum chamber and weather or not i'm going to have intercooler on it.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:55 PM
Back Marker

vitter is an unknown quantity at this point
your biggest obstacles will be getting the pipes an equal length before the turbo, and somehow pressurizing the float bowls.

then you will have to tune it. Just due to packaging problems with a vtwin, it will be alot harder to do than to an inline(although, nothing is impossible).
Old 05-31-2006, 08:11 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I'm sure it can be done with some skills and experience....never seen a Superhawk that was turbocharged but I have seen a Ducati 900ss that was. It was in an older issue of Motorcyclist I believe, have to try and dig it up. Very cool bike.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:49 PM
Squid

thanks I have the tech info on how to pressurise carbies, i"m going to proberly have to hang the turbo of the right hand side ( so as to make the equel Ex lengths easyer to make ) and then i have to work out how and what shape to make the pelinum chamber ( i think that this is going to be the hardest thing to do )

I have a used kit of an gsxr oil cooled motor which includes high pressure fuel pump and rising rate pressure regulator etc.
So I'm of to a start.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:18 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
You'd probably have an easier time routing the rear exhaust if you add an SSS! More coolness......
Old 05-31-2006, 11:09 PM
Squid

Have already researched the subject and am on the look out for the VFR 800 item
Old 06-03-2006, 08:09 AM
Señor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
If it were me, I'd find a good place for the turbo, and then worry about exhaust routing. The equal length is always preferred, but it really isn't the end of the world if one side is 20% longer than the other. I'd probably try to make the two headers meet near the oil filter, facing forward, and run a stubby Y-pipe up and forward into the turbo. But I guess that means there'd be no room for an intercooler.
Anyway, good luck making it all fit. I'm sure you'll have a heck of a time rigging up a removable, sealed intake plenum.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:19 PM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
i know im new here but how bout a blower designed for some other v-twin? like one off a harley? i know they dont wrap out the same but with a custom set of pulleys i would think this would be a lot easier then setting up a blower. if for nothing other then not needing to fool with rigging up an exhaust...
Old 06-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Squid

actually the Ex is the easist part of the system, it"s the pelum chamber, and pressurising the crabies that are the hard part, I already have the pressurising the carbies sorted ( it's not that hard when you realy get into it and i got a mate thats done it a few times on IL4s and had no trubles) and once tuned they stay in tune quite well and don't need to be retuned any more often the Na carbies do. The part that i haven't worked out yet is the shape/design/size of the plenum as yet, though it shouldnot be to hard with a little thought ( the plenums volume has to be approx twice the volume of the capacity of the motor ) and having it in a V configeration could present a minor fitment problem although i don't think that it would be any worse than fitting the air box in )
Old 06-05-2006, 08:03 PM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
where are you planning on taking the intake from? front? side? you could put some spacers on the front of the tank mount and get a bit more room. and yeah its not hard to presure carbs, i see setup like this a lot on drag atv's. one of my other hobbies is ATV's, im building a 250R as wee speak. where are yur plans for mounting the turbo ? details details! u using a fuel pump? intank or inline?
Old 06-05-2006, 10:36 PM
Squid

turbo at this stage will be mounted on the left hand side of the engine, this way i will be able to more easly keep the Ex pipes to the same length/volume i have yet to decide wether or not to fit an intercooler, either way i think that once again at this stage i will bring the pipe to the plenum in under the side of the tank, i have yet to look at clearence for riders legs etc, i'll be trying to keep the set up with an Ex system in place to keep the Department of transport happy.
The bike is still on my mates tralier at his place form the races at the weekend and as soon as he drops it back i'll start work on it, I'll take some pics of where i'm looking at mounting the turbo, how ever i will be trilling diffrent positions for best placement/fitment/preformance so what i hae put down just now may change befor i post again

Any way photos soon on ideas of where things are going and of progress
PS i have a GSXR 1000 K3 to reassemble befor i get to serious with this project so a bit of patience will be needed by both your selves and myself, myself in particular not to get side tracked