Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Track Tire Input

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 09:57 AM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
Hey Old Yeller,

Nope I'm still living in So-Cal right now. I travel back to NC for a long weekend every month. Only track riding I get to see in NC is watching my son race BMX. Getting very tired of flying back and forth. Flying really sucks these days with all the TSA stuff and carry-ons.
Looking to go to Willow Springs (big track), but can't wait tell I make the move full time to NC. Really looking forward to hitting up some new tracks. Also having to cut the grass every month is a real chore on just over half an arce. My wife or son just does not do it as good as me!
Weather has also been pretty crap here in LA so far, only summer I've been getting is on the trips back to NC. Its really nice to get picked up at the airport and get back to the house in Winston-Salem like having a bunch of stress lifted of your shoulders. Likewise flying back into LAX is just as bad, for me it's like a wave of stress be put back on you.
Have fun at the track, ride safe. Tire report coming from you and me on these tires huh?
Old 06-16-2011, 11:36 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
that travel stuff gets old quick. been there and done that. have fun next weekend. we'll compare notes afterwards!
Old 06-21-2011, 07:36 AM
SuperBike

Bike finally all prepped for this weekend. Last thing I have to do is safety wire the oil filter and put the chin spoiler back on. it's taken me close to two weeks to get it all prepped!

Now I gotta get the trailer, spare parts, tools and gear all together and ready for the day.

Speed...are you all set for the weekend?
Old 06-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Superstock

I never got round to mounting those tires at the weekend. Had to much real work to do. I'm itching to get to the track and ride a superhawk out there again.

Do you mount your own tires? I have front and rear stands but have gotten lazy over the years about mounting tires. I normally just pull the wheels and have my local shop mount and balance the tires for me.
My bike is all prepped for the track I just safety wire the drain plug and oil filter, also I like to safety wire the oil filler cap as well. I remove the mirrors and I'm good to go after a little tape on the lights. I use a XT laptimer as a way of gauging my riding. I'm interested to see how quickly I can hustle the Superhawk around Willow Springs big track. I'm normally faster round most tracks on slower bikes than faster one's? I can ride a 600 quicker than I could ride my GSXR1000 at the track. Hell I would have a hard time getting my 07 GSXR1000 around Willow springs at a track day faster than I could on my sv650 race bike on a race weekend!

Have fun out there at CMP. I'm back in NC for the July 4th weekend. So hopefully try to get to the track when I get back.
Good luck out there, ride safe.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
Do they require the chin spoiler on the bike? Does that count as a belly pan?

Also, I'd be interested in pictures of the safety-wiring if anybody has them . . .
Old 06-21-2011, 10:36 AM
SuperBike

This weekend's riding is with the club associated with the track. their requirements are a bit different. NESBA and STT don't require safety wiring to run intermediate, but these guys do. That's making for a little extra work for me. That reminds me. I need to wire up the kickstand and the rear footpegs too. See...always something more to do!

I mount my own tires. Much cheaper that way, and far more convenient for me too. With three bikes in the garage these days, it saves me lots.

I have an XT lap timer too. I'm not sure if it'll be any use this weekend or not. I think it depends on whether someone with a beacon shows up to run. This organization is pretty loosely controlled. it'll be interesting. Hopefully they won't run me over!
Old 08-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Superstock

Finally made it to the track!

http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/a...edkelly/tt.jpg

http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/a.../tireright.jpg

http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/a...y/tireleft.jpg

Little beat right now, write something tomorrow. Great day at Streets of Willow. Bike ran great.

Last edited by speedkelly@aol.com; 08-06-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:01 PM
SuperBike

Yea!!!

nice tape job!