Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

NEW Shawk your input please

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 11:25 PM
ziz
Squid

ziz is on a distinguished road
NEW Shawk your input please

As stated i just bough a Shawk, had it 3 months and need to start the mods. Id like to stay fairly cheap but not so cheap its lame.
quest is what are the first easy/cheap mods i can do to improve preformance

exhaust?
airfilter?
sprockets?

im a big guy so torque is good, i dont plan going 150+ to often, but gettting to 100 alot.

please give info on good parts and what your guys have done.

Thanks alot

safe riding
Old 08-19-2006, 06:13 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ziz
As stated i just bough a Shawk, had it 3 months and need to start the mods. Id like to stay fairly cheap but not so cheap its lame.
quest is what are the first easy/cheap mods i can do to improve preformance

exhaust?
airfilter?
sprockets?

im a big guy so torque is good, i dont plan going 150+ to often, but gettting to 100 alot.

please give info on good parts and what your guys have done.

Thanks alot

safe riding
Sprockets (might as well go with a 520 kit) for sure..It will drop you top speed (about 145 or so) but will make it much more fun to ride at 0-100.

Airfilter is a thing that should be done in combo with jetting,and I believe an exhaust. As air in, and not out makes no more power. Once you do one or both of those, you need to adjust the jetting. So for me it's always a package deal, unless the OEM jetting is that bad (read EPA) in which case rejetting for your area and using the stock filter/exhaust can work wonders. How does the bike run now?
Old 09-12-2006, 09:17 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
me 2

I am looking to make the same mods so I will be watching the posts here very closely. One additional: before I bought my Hawk I sat on one at the local dealer. It was a 98 model but it seemed about two inches lower than the one I just bought. I'm not tall and built like a fire hydrant. I can just bearly get my leg over the bike to get on and I'm scratching the hell out of the passenger cover. What is the deal with lowering these bikes. I'm pretty good with a wrench - much better than growing a couple more inches in stature. Thanks!
Old 09-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Back Marker

RonVTR
To add to what TXsuperchicken said...
- Brake pads with stainless lines (after all you'll have to slow down some time )
- Also check out the muffler baffelectomy to improve the sound if not performance. Its an inexpensive mod.
- Adding small washers under the needle improves throttle response and lean running issues.

Also look through past posts... You'll find that most here like to talk about what they have done.

nuhawk... Everything is a compromise. Lowering the bike will reduce ground clearance. That may be a factor depending how fast you do the corners. You could also look into removing foam from the seat or finding shoes with thick soles. Just and idea.