Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

TPS Adjustment Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 09:03 AM
Banned
Back Marker

99Hawkboy
TPS Adjustment Help

Ok, So the new instructions for jetting the bike using the Factorypro kit is to adjust the TPS sensor. Well the problem is I cant adjust it. The bolts are sheered off. So how would I go about adjusting it then?

Thanks
Old 05-16-2006, 09:33 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

99Hawk
The Bolts are "sheered off" ...?? Did you grind the bolt heads off yourself?

Just replace the stock bolts with sockethead bolts (can't remember the size but your local hardware store has them) and then you'll be able to rotate the TPS to a new position abd tighten it down. You may have to remove the small metalic inserts in the TPS bolt slots to get enough rotation to get it where yuo want.

ps: the Factory Pro kit has you put #50 pilots in - I found them way to rich myself...
Old 05-16-2006, 04:02 PM
SuperSport

CNI Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point
You can cut slots in the shear bolts with a dremel tool & use a screw driver to get them off They're not too tight. They are made that way to prevent an over torque & to keep you from adjusting the TPS....damn EPA B.S. I'm sure !
Replace with regular metric bolts from the hardware store.

Check the "Knowledge Base" section on the Forum page for common problem fixes

Here's the link to the TPS adjustment page
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...read.php?t=131

Oh never mind the link....it's broken.
I PM'd "mamisano" (admin) about it.
Hopefully will be fixed soon

ALSO
Get the Free Shop Manual here (you'll need it)
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ead.php?t=1609
Old 05-16-2006, 05:15 PM
Banned
Back Marker

99Hawkboy
Yeah I have the service manual. I am still in the process of trying to find the right jets for the bike and the best seat of the pants ride with descent gas mileage. So far these settings are great. I just have to wait to fill up again to check the mileage.
But the reason why I am wondering about the TPS is because FactoryPro said that it should be between 410-500 ohms resistance stationary and right now im sitting at about 210 ohms. So I was going to adjust it but kinda cant because they are those crappy screws/bolts whatever that sheer off at a certain torque. And Im not real sure how to take them off. But I guess Ill figure that out... Just kinda sucks right now.

I ran the 50 pilot then switched to 48s and now i am testing out the 50s again... Personally i should have went with the dynojet jet kit but since I have this kit i might as well try to get the best power out of it that I can. I think Im going to drop the main jets back to 180s 182s next...

Thanks guys!
Old 05-17-2006, 03:45 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

99Hawk
It's simple to remove the bolts, just use a dremel on those flat looking bolt heads and they loosen up so you can unscrew them. The replace with a socket bolt so you can easily change the setting later with an allen wrench.

I'm sure there is a range of TPS settings that will work fine for various bikes since there are subtle differences in ignition timimg and valve timing anyway from bike to bike. 210 is a very low setting though. Mine started out at 910 and I tried various settings down to 400 but ended up at 600 myself. Be sure you measure the resistance across the top two connections with the TPS plug removed.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:24 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I know that the TPS adjustment has worked for some but I tried it last year and ended up going back to the stock setting (have it listed on a previous thread somewhere). I found the the in-spec setting softened up the power considerably in the low-end with no discernible improvement in any area.

Just my experience (but I have a DJ kit if that matters at all).

cheers
Mikstr