Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

TPS Adj

Old 09-03-2018, 02:30 PM
SuperSport

ACE VenTRa is on a distinguished road
TPS Adj

Does anyone else adjust the tps with the tank on? I do it that way and thought I'd share if someone else was sick of pulling the bike apart for a simple adjustment.

AV
Old 09-03-2018, 03:53 PM
Squid

superhawk138 is on a distinguished road
First time I did it with the tank off so I can pull my carbs and get those factory shear bolts off. Now for adjustment I just tilt the tank up and use a swivel and hex bit to get to it.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:51 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ACE VenTRa
Does anyone else adjust the tps with the tank on? I do it that way and thought I'd share if someone else was sick of pulling the bike apart for a simple adjustment.

AV
I don't consider it a variable adjustment to be changed with conditions, ..

Its set once and done.
I do have a pigtail with OEM plugs so i can meter it easily.

If you want to really play with TPS settings, you could easily set the TPS at a given point and use a variable resistor or pot to "adjust"

If you found 2, 3, 5 settings that worked for Rain, track, street it also would be easy to build a multi position switch select the various settings.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:03 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
I don't consider it a variable adjustment to be changed with conditions, ..

Its set once and done.
I do have a pigtail with OEM plugs so i can meter it easily.
I set it once, but I'm not done..
I don't think he wants a variable unit. But to tune it where you think it's optimal, may take a few times. I'm going to try 520 next, might not suit me. Time will tell.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:20 PM
MotoGP

I ended up adjusting mine after work today. Took all of 15-20 minutes maybe. Ended up tight at 535. The ride home was very pleasant. I think I’ll keep it there.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:39 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
So isn't there one optimal point performance wise? Meaning you aren't drawing different maps or hp curves, its either optimizing power or not. So in that way I could see maybe softening it for rain but other than that, what did you like or not like about the different settings? Is it different delivery curves?
Old 09-05-2018, 01:43 AM
SuperSport

ACE VenTRa is on a distinguished road
Same here, right around 530. Anywhere else and it's a pain. I bet that a carb sync might change that a bit though.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:14 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
So isn't there one optimal point performance wise? Meaning you aren't drawing different maps or hp curves, its either optimizing power or not. So in that way I could see maybe softening it for rain but other than that, what did you like or not like about the different settings? Is it different delivery curves?
I'm not going to claim to be an expert on the subject. I will tell you, for 10 years I had a perfect fueling Hawk. After much procrastination, I decided to put in the JF fuel screws I had sitting around forever. While the carbs were out, I also decided to do the tps adjust. Read a few guys claims about 490(ish), so I went there. Also, new paper HiFlo filter. The bike became a mess. Low speed fueling was off, bike had a case of what felt like the carb farts cruising around 3500 and below. I did fiddle with the screws and decided they were not affecting my issue. So, I bumped tps up and at least for my ride last night, they were 80%+ gone. One of the reasons I decided to crack into the carbs was a dyno run showing I need to raise the needles a tad. Haven't done that yet, but I got a big old dose of... if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Have to say though that I am close to being back to what I feel is good.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:38 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
So I am dealing with carb farts on the front carb too. I recently synced and then did tps. I am still getting the CFs even after putting a long trumpet on the front carb.
Pretty mad since my hawk rode like silk the whole rest of its life and now I'm chasing gremlins. Recently I installed the CCTs and accidentally pulled the front one while not at TDC. Only turned motor by hand at that point but my garagemate swears we coulda tweaked the valves. (leakdown test OTW).

Wolverine were the carb farts frequency changing with temp? Mine changes drastically with temp. At higher temps its less frequent.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:28 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
I feel there is a "Sweet Range" 490~ 550 or so.
I do not believe all bikes have the same dial in spec..... of XXX ohm
Nor do I feel above 500 works better on my two SH, nor the others I service, but can for sure see it works well on someones else bike for how they want to use the bike.

But every bike is a bit different, tuned different, used differently.. Ones persons "Its jerky, its too hard to roll on gas smoothly" is another persons "Crisp, works perfect for me"
Out of curiosity I changed my 2001 SH to 530 last night and will ride it today. I changed another SH I have in the shop to 500 and will ride it today as well if the rain holds off.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:25 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
So I am dealing with carb farts on the front carb too. I recently synced and then did tps. I am still getting the CFs even after putting a long trumpet on the front carb.
Pretty mad since my hawk rode like silk the whole rest of its life and now I'm chasing gremlins. Recently I installed the CCTs and accidentally pulled the front one while not at TDC. Only turned motor by hand at that point but my garagemate swears we coulda tweaked the valves. (leakdown test OTW).

Wolverine were the carb farts frequency changing with temp? Mine changes drastically with temp. At higher temps its less frequent.
I'd have to say no. My Hawk has farted with higher heat in the past, but this 490 tps adjustment had it happening from about 2500-3700 or so. The ambient temps here have been very hot. Today when I left work at 5p the heat index was 100, 60% humidity. The VTR was fine, no signs of the hiccups. I do feel the vibes have changed a bit. Seems to be more prominent than before. Not sure if I can prove it though.
If you have any doubts, simply change it to 520-530 and see if it improves.

I use mine for commuting to work, scenic touring, track days, flogging around local roads.... It has done it all, happily, till this.
I get what you are saying about individual opinions Erik. When we throw a leg over, everyone senses are different. After 10+ years, I'm pretty well in tune with the old girl. She was **** for all those years till I went in and changed a few things. I thought initially that the fuel screw must have a different profile or something. Never thought the tps would have a profound effect on the bike. Boy was I wrong!