Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Time to replace front brakes. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 10:43 AM
Squid

johnpace2 is on a distinguished road
Time to replace front brakes. Suggestions?

Hi Guys,

My front brakes are getting a little worn and I want to replace. Should I just go with Honda OEM pads? I'm not a very aggressive rider if that makes any difference.

Also, I've change brakes on dirt bikes, etc and have a service manual. Any reason why a novice mechanic shouldn't give this a shot?

Thanks!
John
Old 07-30-2012, 11:27 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
No reason you shouldn't be able to do it, disc brakes are disc brakes street or dirt.

Yes you can stay with OEM pads but there are many aftermarket pads that are better and cost roughly the same from EBC,Vesrah,Ferodo and others.

Make sure you break them in properly and I think you'll notice an improvement in braking performance and "feel".
Old 07-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by HRCA#1
No reason you shouldn't be able to do it, disc brakes are disc brakes street or dirt.

Yes you can stay with OEM pads but there are many aftermarket pads that are better and cost roughly the same from EBC,Vesrah,Ferodo and others.

Make sure you break them in properly and I think you'll notice an improvement in braking performance and "feel".

Great! Thanks.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Squid

Do you think the EBC Sintered Double H pads are better than stock?

EBC Sintered Double-H Brake Pads - BikeBandit.com

Old 07-30-2012, 12:04 PM
SuperBike

Frankly almost all of them are superior to OEM, I wouldn't have a problem with the EBC's.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Squid

Frankly almost all of them are superior to OEM, I wouldn't have a problem with the EBC's.
Great! Thanks for your help.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:09 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Gotta tell you, the HH pads are really a track compound and are meant for repeated high stress/heat use. You will notice alot less initial bite and less progressive power and feel. I have used them on racebikes for years but on the street they are a bad fit.

If you try them back to back you will notice the difference. Go with a street pad like ebc organic semimetalic or oem or another brand.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:55 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Actually for allround performance, in all temperatures and all weather, I'd choose the OEM pads as being the best... Better initial bite, and needs no warming to get good performance like other options... It would be my recommendation on a street only bike...
Old 07-31-2012, 10:38 AM
SuperBike

Both Smokin Joe and Tweety have some valid points. I really don't know how aggressively you ride and the OEM pads may in fact work perfectly well with your situation.

However my experience is you have to figure it out for yourself. There is no reason not to try something else, you can always go back.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Squid

Tivan is on a distinguished road
I ride fairly aggresively...on the street and windy roads around home but not to a track where you the openess and safety to really dive into corners and the OEM pads have worked great so far after my first brake change. I might switch to EBC semi metalic but so far 3k miles and OEMs are still biting good. just my 2c.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Squid

Thanks for the tips. I had already ordered the HH pads, but I don't ride aggresively and have never been on a track.

I'll probably return them and get OEM pads or something suited for everyday use.

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2012, 09:41 AM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
i would stick with the hh pads,they are good and will help in the street no matter how you ride.
they work good once you get them bedded in properly.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:45 PM
Squid

jedrek750 is on a distinguished road
sbs pads
Old 08-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Squid
Squid

bostonhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
I replaced my original OEM pads (front only) with EBC HH. I'm on my 2nd set of the EBC's now, and I've got a (3rd) replacement set ordered. They work great for me, whether cruising around town or charging the canyons. From my experience, the EBC HH pads have better initial bite than OEM, even when not up to temp.

EBC does make a race compound and trackday street compound, but the HH pads that I use are called "superbike" street pads. EBC part number FA 187 HH, for the front.

I haven't replaced my rear pads yet (they still have at least 50% wear left at 63,000 miles), but if and when I do, I'll go with OEM pads for the rear.
I put EBC HH pads in the front. I just got the bike about a month ago and the brakes were horrible. The EBC HH front pads made a night and day difference! My VFR and Monster have better brakes, but these work and I can stop. It's a 1998 bike that appears to have been neglected some. I will go with EBC HH from now on. That's what I also put on the VFR and made a positive response.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:34 PM
Squid

VeeTR is on a distinguished road
Im running EBC HH front and rear,using only on street but very aggressive braking,5k mls so far on the fronts and plenty of life left(3 rear and 2 front tires replaced in that same mileage).I find them good in all weather and conditions,absolutely no problem using them again....however I think you should be aware that they will wear the discs alot quicker then OEM or similar pads