SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Time to replace front brakes. Suggestions? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/time-replace-front-brakes-suggestions-28893/)

johnpace2 07-30-2012 10:43 AM

Time to replace front brakes. Suggestions?

Hi Guys,

My front brakes are getting a little worn and I want to replace. Should I just go with Honda OEM pads? I'm not a very aggressive rider if that makes any difference.

Also, I've change brakes on dirt bikes, etc and have a service manual. Any reason why a novice mechanic shouldn't give this a shot?

Thanks!
John

HRCA#1 07-30-2012 11:27 AM

No reason you shouldn't be able to do it, disc brakes are disc brakes street or dirt.

Yes you can stay with OEM pads but there are many aftermarket pads that are better and cost roughly the same from EBC,Vesrah,Ferodo and others.

Make sure you break them in properly and I think you'll notice an improvement in braking performance and "feel".

johnpace2 07-30-2012 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by HRCA#1 (Post 339066)
No reason you shouldn't be able to do it, disc brakes are disc brakes street or dirt.

Yes you can stay with OEM pads but there are many aftermarket pads that are better and cost roughly the same from EBC,Vesrah,Ferodo and others.

Make sure you break them in properly and I think you'll notice an improvement in braking performance and "feel".

Great! Thanks.

johnpace2 07-30-2012 11:58 AM

Do you think the EBC Sintered Double H pads are better than stock?

EBC Sintered Double-H Brake Pads - BikeBandit.com

Originally Posted by HRCA#1 (Post 339066)

HRCA#1 07-30-2012 12:04 PM

Frankly almost all of them are superior to OEM, I wouldn't have a problem with the EBC's.

johnpace2 07-30-2012 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by HRCA#1 (Post 339070)
Frankly almost all of them are superior to OEM, I wouldn't have a problem with the EBC's.

Great! Thanks for your help.

smokinjoe73 07-31-2012 07:09 AM

Gotta tell you, the HH pads are really a track compound and are meant for repeated high stress/heat use. You will notice alot less initial bite and less progressive power and feel. I have used them on racebikes for years but on the street they are a bad fit.

If you try them back to back you will notice the difference. Go with a street pad like ebc organic semimetalic or oem or another brand.

Tweety 07-31-2012 08:55 AM

Actually for allround performance, in all temperatures and all weather, I'd choose the OEM pads as being the best... Better initial bite, and needs no warming to get good performance like other options... It would be my recommendation on a street only bike...

HRCA#1 07-31-2012 10:38 AM

Both Smokin Joe and Tweety have some valid points. I really don't know how aggressively you ride and the OEM pads may in fact work perfectly well with your situation.

However my experience is you have to figure it out for yourself. There is no reason not to try something else, you can always go back.

Tivan 08-10-2012 04:52 PM

I ride fairly aggresively...on the street and windy roads around home but not to a track where you the openess and safety to really dive into corners and the OEM pads have worked great so far after my first brake change. I might switch to EBC semi metalic but so far 3k miles and OEMs are still biting good. just my 2c.

johnpace2 08-21-2012 09:38 AM

Thanks for the tips. I had already ordered the HH pads, but I don't ride aggresively and have never been on a track.

I'll probably return them and get OEM pads or something suited for everyday use.

Thanks!

saige 08-21-2012 09:41 AM

i would stick with the hh pads,they are good and will help in the street no matter how you ride.
they work good once you get them bedded in properly.

jedrek750 08-21-2012 12:45 PM

sbs pads

bostonhawk 08-28-2012 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer (Post 340294)
I replaced my original OEM pads (front only) with EBC HH. I'm on my 2nd set of the EBC's now, and I've got a (3rd) replacement set ordered. They work great for me, whether cruising around town or charging the canyons. From my experience, the EBC HH pads have better initial bite than OEM, even when not up to temp.

EBC does make a race compound and trackday street compound, but the HH pads that I use are called "superbike" street pads. EBC part number FA 187 HH, for the front.

I haven't replaced my rear pads yet (they still have at least 50% wear left at 63,000 miles), but if and when I do, I'll go with OEM pads for the rear.

I put EBC HH pads in the front. I just got the bike about a month ago and the brakes were horrible. The EBC HH front pads made a night and day difference! My VFR and Monster have better brakes, but these work and I can stop. It's a 1998 bike that appears to have been neglected some. I will go with EBC HH from now on. That's what I also put on the VFR and made a positive response.

VeeTR 08-29-2012 03:34 PM

Im running EBC HH front and rear,using only on street but very aggressive braking,5k mls so far on the fronts and plenty of life left(3 rear and 2 front tires replaced in that same mileage).I find them good in all weather and conditions,absolutely no problem using them again....however I think you should be aware that they will wear the discs alot quicker then OEM or similar pads