Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Tdc compression stroke

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 08:09 AM
Squid

Landrics is on a distinguished road
Tdc compression stroke

Is there any easy way to tell when the front cylinder is on the compression stroke?
Old 06-08-2018, 08:34 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Pull the spark plug, rotate the crank till the timing marks indicate front TDC. Blow compressed air into the plug hole. If air comes out of the exhaust (my arms are long enough to reach to feel for air). If no air, (it won't be much) and if the crank rotates, which it will if you put a lot of pressure into the plug hole, then rotate the crank 360* until the timing marks align. Seems convoluted, but worked for me. I'm sure someone has a better method. I did it to not have to remove the valve cover.
If you are installing manual CCT, I suggest that you remove the cover and measure the chain slack. Doing it by "feel" won't work, IMO. As always YMMV.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:54 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Landrics
Is there any easy way to tell when the front cylinder is on the compression stroke?
If you mean cams out ..there is no TDC stroke... rotate till the timing mark is centered in the timing window, install and time cams.

If you mean cams in, the piston will be at TDC when the flywheel timing mark is centered in the timing window, both EX and IN cam lobes will be pointed away from the shim bucket, all four valves in that cylinder would be closed. .. if timing marks are lined up, but cam lobes are not in the appropriate position, your not on compression stroke