Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

What do you think about this compression test?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 08:35 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
What do you think about this compression test?

Front cylinder = 90 psi
Rear cylinder = 65 psi
Doesn't look good.

What should I expect? My chevy small block with similar compression ratio hits 150psi+.

I did this test twice, with throttle wide open, fresh battery, choke off, and spark plug in the other hole. (I know, I know, shoulda removed that.)

Problem is bike won't run. Has spark on both cylinders, I can smell fuel during cranking, starter fluid directly into carbs doesn't help.

I managed to get one or two random backfires out the exhaust during cranking.

The bike sounds different during cranking than it did before (when it ran). It almost seems like the valve timing is wayyy off or there's some serious damage in there. I tried stuffing a wad of tissue into the end of each exhaust pipe, it barely moved enough air during cranking to blow one out, the other didn't move.

History... bike ran great 4 weeks ago, I parked it to put on a new chain. Then it won't start no matter what. Tried fresh fuel, still no go. Did a valve adjustment a few thousand miles ago and also rechecked the manual CCTs adjustment.

It's as if I broke something just installing a new drive chain. I'm baffled.

I just wanna ride.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 11-22-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:17 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I was thinking CCT failure, but since you said you have manual adjusters and they check out, I'm stumped too.

But unfortunately your compression readings are way too low. I don't know how a drive chain replacement could have caused the valve timing to jump, especially with manual adjusters.

Have you checked the valve timing yet? I've never done it on a VTR, but it normally requires removal of the valve covers to check the cam timing marks with the crank timing marks. That would be the next step.

Good luck. If it didn't slip too much, the valves could still be okay. Cross your fingers.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:40 PM
SuperSport

Arggh. Yeah I guess I'll have to pull the valve covers again. I haven't heard any nasty valve crunching noises, and any contact would only be during cranking.

I tried checking the spark timing with the timing light through the side cover, but I don't know if the marks are intended for that. Although the spark is crank driven anyways I assume.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:28 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Align the flywheel mark RT to the dot in the stator window and the rear should look like this.
On the front cyl, use the FT crank mark and the FI &FE marks and align to the edges of the cam cover seat surface.
There should be a 270° counter clockwise rotation (stator side) from the RT mark (cam aligned lobes up) to FT mark (cam aligned lobes up)
If this all checks ok it should start.
And yes remove that other cyl plug while testing, it will avoid pumping gas and messing the cranking speed.

Name:  DSCN9647web.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  91.6 KB
Old 11-23-2009, 10:55 AM
SuperSport

I might just put it on the back burner and fix my other bike first. That one seems easier now.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:14 PM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
A leak down test will give you an idea of where any issues may lie.

Rex
Old 11-23-2009, 10:48 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bjorn toulouse
A leak down test will give you an idea of where any issues may lie.
+1

Just make sure you are accurately at TDC on Compression Stroke before starting, and put it in a high gear to prevent the air pressure from forcing the piston down.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Squid
Squid

Mark S is on a distinguished road
If the bike sat for a few weeks the rings may have lost there oil film. Try a couple of squirts of oil in each cylinder and your compression test should improve. Also the bike should start as long the cams are timed properly.
A couple of weeks ago I helped a friend get his 4wheeler running. It had sat all summer, and he hadn't been able to get it going. A quick gaugeless compression test, finger covering the plug hole it didn't have enough compression to blow his finger off the plug hole. After a couple of squirts of oil in each cylinder and he couldn't keep the hole pluged. Installed the plugs and the 4whlr started and ran, a little smokey but it was running. This 4whlr is a 7something cc V twin Kawasaki He is now running a little oil in the gas. The 4whlr is used for plowing snow so there are long periods of non use.
Hope this helps,
Mark Smith