Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Suspension settings with 1000rr front end swap.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 09:22 AM
Back Marker

scooter72 is on a distinguished road
Suspension settings with 1000rr front end swap.

I recently finished up my front end swap (2008 1000rr), and in my haste, I neglected to take measurements of the stock setup for ride height and such. I know the 1000rr front end is shorter, so I had installed the fork tubes level with the upper triple(which is gull winged as well) to gain a little height as compared to the original CBR height which was around 5mm of tube above the triple. Upon riding it, overall feel and feedback is awesome, but it seems pretty twitchy on harder acceleration and at higher speeds. Keep in mind that dirt bike bars are installed as well, so that may give me a false sense of instability due to the additional leverage.

My question is, for those who have done a swap, what did you do with your setup after for adjustments? I'm thinking a shim in the rear shock might help, but I am still running the stock pogo stick in the back, so its not helping my case much either. I still need to set sag and such as well, so with that, what seems to work the best? This is not a track bike, street use only and not driven super hard, so i'm looking for a good all round baseline to go from. Any help or input would be great!
Old 06-16-2014, 09:28 AM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
Shim the back with a 6mm spacer. That gives u bbettergeometry but helps keep ground clearance. I also forgot to take measurements before I took the front end off.

But from seeing other peoples swaps, I don't think they had the forks level with the top triple. I feel like that puts the front end too High. But I have an RC set up so I can't know for sure.

Keep making adjustments till u find what u like