General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Owners Manual / Suspension Settings?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Back Marker

BluStreak is on a distinguished road
Owners Manual / Suspension Settings?

Comrades, just bought a 2003 SH and can't wait for the weather to clear and warm to ride. The bike came without any manuals. Thanks to the Knowledge Base for access to the technical manual on the web. Printed it out and put it in a binder. There must be an owners manual that refers to such mundane issues as starting procedures, suspension adjustment, etc., etc, but I can't find anything in this forum related to finding an owners manual. Is there such a thing? Can I access one somewhere?

One of the reasons I'm looking is to try to get some baseline about how to set up the rebound and spring rates on the bike. Would be most grateful for any info on an owners manual or basic suspension set-up. I know the suspension on the bike is not what you can find in the after-market, but for now, I don't care about those options.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:46 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I can't find a downloadable one, but I'll keep searching. You can register at the Honda Owner Link page (https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com) and there are some .pdf files for some maintenance items.

The printed copy can be purchased through Helm Inc.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:15 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Sportrider Magazine's recommendation is front preload 4 lines showing and rebound one turn out from full tight.

Rear spring on position 3 and rebound a half turn out.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:30 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
Sportrider Magazine's recommendation is front preload 4 lines showing and rebound one turn out from full tight.

Rear spring on position 3 and rebound a half turn out.
RK1, what rider weight is that recommendation for? What issue of Sportrider?
Old 02-28-2009, 07:51 PM
RK1
MotoGP

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_...dex.html#honda

VTRsurfer;

I think they said it was the best compromise for 140-180 lbs.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:56 PM
MotoGP

Thanks! That's great since I'm 155. I haven't touched my settings since my '05 was bought new. Front preload is on 4 now; rear is on 2nd step and has always felt soft when I hit a bump when leaned over.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:10 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Thanks! That's great since I'm 155. I haven't touched my settings since my '05 was bought new. Front preload is on 4 now; rear is on 2nd step and has always felt soft when I hit a bump when leaned over.
Sure. I weigh about the same and the SR settings were close to good for me.

Same as you rear spring on 2 didn't work for me. #3 is a bit stiff but the best option. I ended up with the rear rebound about 3/4 out. With 1/2 the rear was packing down when I gassed it in first and second and boing boing over expansion joints.

I put .85 Race Techs up front with same OAL as stock spring and spacer. Still best for me 4 lines showing but rebound about 3/4 out.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:40 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
Sure. I weigh about the same and the SR settings were close to good for me.

Same as you rear spring on 2 didn't work for me. #3 is a bit stiff but the best option. I ended up with the rear rebound about 3/4 out. With 1/2 the rear was packing down when I gassed it in first and second and boing boing over expansion joints.

I put .85 Race Techs up front with same OAL as stock spring and spacer. Still best for me 4 lines showing but rebound about 3/4 out.
I tried out your modified SR settings today and the bike feels good, but seems a little bouncy on our crappy excuse for a freeway...I also have the .85s and weigh in at about 165, I had been on the standard settings per the manual...

I also noticed that my hands started aching earlier into the ride than normal (arthritis), I guess the preload increase in the rear effectively has me sitting a little higher with more weight forward on the hands...I'll try to get used to this, but may have to return to good old setting number 2...
Old 03-01-2009, 04:02 PM
MotoGP

Yeah, it's a bitch getting old isn't it.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:13 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Yeah, it's a bitch getting old isn't it.
My ****. If we were really gettin' old and riding at all, we'd be on Hardley Road Queens or Honda Gold Barges instead of VTRs, the gentleman's sport bike.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:35 PM
MotoGP

I'm 62 and recently retired. And all my old canyon racing buddies from 25 to 30 years ago ARE on Harleys.

My current ridding buddy is 57 and rides an 851 and 998 Duc, but he can't handle as many hours in the saddle as I can on the VTR with a Sargent.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:41 PM
RK1
MotoGP

I'm 62 and recently retired. And all my old canyon racing buddies from 25 to 30 years ago ARE on Harleys.

My current ridding buddy is 57 and rides an 851 and 998 Duc, but he can't handle as many hours in the saddle as I can on the VTR with a Sargent.
I'm in my mid 50s. I weigh the same and am in better shape than I was at age 21. I've still got all of my hair and it's still brown. Everything still works. And I can still sleep all night without having to get up and pee.

I have noticed two downsides;

When I get banged up, it hurts more and takes a bit longer to heal.

It has gotten slightly harder to successfully hit on women under the age of 30.

Last edited by RK1; 03-01-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:52 PM
MotoGP

I still have a full head of dark blond hair, I ride short boards as well as long boards (we've got 18 boards in the garage), but the joints are stiffening up. My wife is a retired P.E. teacher, so she tries to keep me on a stretching regimen.

Hard canyon riding is much easier on the body than surfing. As long as you don't crash, that is.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:37 PM
RK1
MotoGP

I still have a full head of dark blond hair, I ride short boards as well as long boards (we've got 18 boards in the garage), but the joints are stiffening up. My wife is a retired P.E. teacher, so she tries to keep me on a stretching regimen.

Hard canyon riding is much easier on the body than surfing. As long as you don't crash, that is.
You lucked out. Your wife is a smart girl. I've had trouble with my back, on and off, since I hurt it playing football at age 17. If it wasn't for Hatha Yoga, which I intend to do every day but actually do about 40 minutes every other day, I'd probably be in a wheelchair by now.

There is a spiritual component to yoga, but even if you don't care about that the stretching will keep you in good stead for the rest of your life. Just my opinion based on my experience.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Back Marker

g_clarke_2008 is on a distinguished road
+1 on the yoga
Old 03-01-2009, 06:12 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

Well, let's see, I've got half my hair left and it's mostly gray. I've got a bum back and some arthritis in my hands, which mainfests itselt as pain at the base of my thumbs.

That said, everything still works as advertised, owing to frequent exercise and regular rides on the Superhawk.

Last edited by oahu hawk; 03-02-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
I can't find a downloadable one, but I'll keep searching. You can register at the Honda Owner Link page (https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com) and there are some .pdf files for some maintenance items.

The printed copy can be purchased through Helm Inc.
Greg, you're right there dude! I went to the Honda link above and it leads you right to the option to buy the owners manual ($16) and the Helm, Inc. link. I think that's where you're actually ordering it from. Thanks again, I'll take note of all the advice here when I have a reference about exactly where all of these adjustments can be made.

Scott
Old 03-01-2009, 06:31 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by oahu hawk
Well, let's see, I've got half my hair left and it's mostly gray. I've got a bum back and some arthritis in my hands, which mainfests itselt as pain at the base of my thumbs.

That said, everything still works as advertised, owning to frequent exercise and regular rides on the Superhawk.
Yeah, I didn't even mention my back. Typical L4 and L5 disc problems, as well as cervical. But I try to be careful with what I lift, and otherwise just deal with it. It never bothers me while I'm riding.

BluStreak, sorry about jacking your thread man. The Honda manual will help a lot.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:41 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by BluStreak
Greg, you're right there dude! I went to the Honda link above and it leads you right to the option to buy the owners manual ($16) and the Helm, Inc. link. I think that's where you're actually ordering it from. Thanks again, I'll take note of all the advice here when I have a reference about exactly where all of these adjustments can be made.

Scott
BluStreak;

There are a lot of reasons to want an owner's manual to go along with your VTR, but help setting up the suspension isn't one of them.

Manual says shock spring preload on "1" or '2" is "normal". Most everyone finds that, especially "1" too soft. Both rebound adjustments at one turn out are "normal". What's "normal" for front spring preload? The manual doesn't bother to mention it. They have a little line drawing but i can't tell if "normal" is 3 or four lines showing.

They do say that turning the rebound adjusters clockwise means "hard" and counter clockwise means "soft". Very nice of them.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:55 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

BluStreak, sorry about jacking your thread man.
+1...
Old 03-01-2009, 07:03 PM
RK1
MotoGP

BluStreak, sorry about jacking your thread man.
Hell. There's more good suspension info in this "jacked" thread than anybody could find in the owner's manual.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:17 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RK1
Hell. There's more good suspension info in this "jacked" thread than anybody could find in the owner's manual.
I hear that.

And my back's feeling pretty good right now too.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:04 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

Per the Service Manual, "standard" settings are as follows:

Front:

4th line on the adjuster aligned with the top surface of the fork cap for spring pre-load...

one turn counter-clockwise from hard for rebound (essentially the same as the Sport rider recommendations)

Rear:

spring pre-load on postion 2...

one turn counter-clockwise from hard for rebound (one position softer that the SR recommendations on pre-load)
Old 03-01-2009, 10:32 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Per the Service Manual, "standard" settings are as follows:

Front:

4th line on the adjuster aligned with the top surface of the fork cap for spring pre-load...

one turn counter-clockwise from hard for rebound (essentially the same as the Sport rider recommendations)

Rear:

spring pre-load on postion 2...

one turn counter-clockwise from hard for rebound (one position softer that the SR recommendations on pre-load)
Yeah that's what mine says except It wasn't clear about the front preload.

Everybody's different, but for me, the recommended rear settings are too loose and squishy except for freeway cruising.

I know the real answer for me is to spend a grand or so for a real rear shock and front revalve. I've got a 25 year old Fox twin clicker on my old Interceptor. Works way better than the thing on the back of the VTR. Just too cheap to do it right now.

Last edited by RK1; 03-01-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Back Marker

Oahu Hawk & VTRSurfer, glad to provide the geriatric sharing opportunity. Oh yea, I'm not quite as old as you guys, but the prostate surgery was successful and the fecal shape and color are right on!!

Just kidding, thanks for all the advice (on the suspension).

BluStreak
Old 03-02-2009, 07:21 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

Oahu Hawk & VTRSurfer, glad to provide the geriatric sharing opportunity. Oh yea, I'm not quite as old as you guys, but the prostate surgery was successful and the fecal shape and color are right on!!

BluStreak
You're welcome!...and BTW, I still have all of my own teeth...
Old 03-02-2009, 08:19 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
You're welcome!...and BTW, I still have all of my own teeth...
Same here, I keep them in a jar.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:41 PM
MotoGP

BluStreak
Trestles was 5' on the set waves today with screaming rights and lefts. And I snagged a few of each.
You're only as old as you want to be.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Back Marker

Sounds fun! Went skiing with my 18 year old last night and demo'd a set of Fischer RedHeets! Awesome!! It was 10 degrees at the top, but the crowd was thin. After a bunch of top to bottom rocket runs with the kid, I'm back on the **** talkin to you boys tonight.

Don't lose that jar!! You might have to borrow Ma's teeth to eat that steak!
Old 03-31-2009, 06:21 AM
Squid

Oz Stormer is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys,
Just bought myself a '99 VTR. Lovin it so far. The previous owner seemed to think that everything worked best screwed up as hard as it could go. So I've taken it back to stock with help from you guys and several othe forums helped me fix the CCT's as well.
Next job to tackle is the reg/rec. I saw a couple of articles where guys put heatsinks and fans on the back of the reg/rec. Now, correct me if i'm wrong, but the cooling surface is on the "chassis" side. Therefore one would be better off turning the Reg/Rec around and attaching a quality heatsink, using heat transfer compound, to the "shiiny side" thereby providing an efficient cooling surface. Something that the little piece of plate on the chassis isn't. BTW I loved the charge indicator light plans.. definitely going to make one of those.

Quick Reply: Owners Manual / Suspension Settings?