Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

STUTTER---

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 06:56 AM
Squid

Felton1 is on a distinguished road
STUTTER---

had the valves lashed over the winter. Seemed to run ok when I first got her out. After about 20 miles I noticed that if I rode it like a newbie and was scared of a little power, it runs great. As soon as I grab a fair amount of throttle and twist, it spits sputters bucks and snorts above 3- 3500 ish.
Ive torn the valve covers off twice now and checked and checked again the valve timing. Ive replaced vaccum lines, and checked spark plugs, and boot resistance....IM LOST! I ended up not taking my hawk to Deaks gap this past month and purchased a Shadow 750 for the G/F and I to ride on....but in the mean time...my baby sits alone in the garage and torn apart. Any Ideas?????????
Old 05-19-2010, 07:22 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
Sounds like carbs to me, if it sat for a little while they should be cleaned then put back on and synced. If it was your valves the difference in performance would go across the entire rev range as the whole system would be out of wack. The other option for cleaning is you could put everything back together and run some seafoam cleaner through a tank of gas. I don't see how valves being lashed would cause the problem, it also could be something not getting put back right upon reassembly, but it sounds like you have checked most of that stuff. Also recheck that the vacuum line to the petcock is on the side not the bottom, that one can happen to the best of us. Keep us posted.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Back Marker

mdbuehler
Sounds carb related too. Mine was down for quite awhile on account of mods and painting, and its running really bad now. Lean, popping, stutter at part throttle, and my back carb float keeps sticking. All but positive they got gummed up from sitting around.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:29 PM
Squid

Sounds good guys thanks... I was curious about the carbs but havent dealt with them much. Kind of intimidated by them so I figured Id get some more feedback before I dove into 'em. Ill tackle 'em this wkend and see what I come up with and keep ya's posted. THANKS
Old 05-23-2010, 10:24 AM
Squid

AAAAaaaannnndddd the survey says- I think theres deeper issues.

Pulled the carbs off and when I took a peek down the intake on the rear head, I see green coolant laying around the rim of the close valve...... BOOOOOOO!!!!
My guess is head gasket? Where do I begin looking to track THIS new issue down? And is it worth my time or should I do a complete rebuild with machining? ugh.
I did, in the meantime, clean the carbs spic-n-span so they'e all shiny on the bench. lol.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Back Marker

mdbuehler
Could that have just leaked down when you pulled the coolant lines off the carbs?

I just had mine apart today, and my bucking, sloggy behavior seems to have been mainly gunk all over the slides. There was a lot of buildup, so cleaned all of that off, and to my suprise I found a Factory jet kit in there too, so she isn't stock afterall lol Moved the clips down to groove 5 (from 4) to throw more fuel in for the K&N filter, and buttoned it back up. I saw no reason for the stopped up fuel delivery in the rear carb, the floats etc were all clean, so not sure there.

Runs like a CHAMP now! Smooth, LOTS more power lol! It'd been bad for quite a while it seems and was just getting worse
Old 05-23-2010, 06:56 PM
Squid

Hmm...very possible. I guess in the shock of seeing coolant where its not supposed to be I freaked.
Glad to hear you're all back up n runnin'..... I did notice some slight differences in jets from one carb to the other. On the front carb I removed BOTH jets with a flathead. THe rear used a 6 mm wrench as there was no slot for a flathead...? Different jets or goofy Honda design? Also how would I tell if it was jetted?
I didnt notice a whole lot of buildup or any brown gas lol. seemed fairly clean....I am curious about the slides....if I reach in and push them up by hand they are sticky not coming back down smoothly....just seemed kind of....bumpy. ? Lubricate? ummm....dumb question? lol.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:13 PM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Felton1
had the valves lashed over the winter...
Question - what does that mean? You had the clearances put to spec?

I also think you have jetting issues. The easiest, not the cheapest, fix would be a factory 1.1 kit (~$100) and follow their instructions. That way you are starting fresh.

I am wondering based on what you said if you are missing a main jet and that what you removed was the diffuser (which is what the main jet screws into). That would certainly account for your issues. Front and rear main jets, diffusers, and needles are different. I am not sure what stock is, but it might be like 178 up front and 180 in the rear with 45S pilots. Anyone?

Take a look at this thread for advise on shimming the needles.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=22612

Let us know what you find out about that jet. Thank you. JB
Old 05-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by residentg
Question - what does that mean? You had the clearances put to spec?

I also think you have jetting issues. The easiest, not the cheapest, fix would be a factory 1.1 kit (~$100) and follow their instructions. That way you are starting fresh.

I am wondering based on what you said if you are missing a main jet and that what you removed was the diffuser (which is what the main jet screws into). That would certainly account for your issues. Front and rear main jets, diffusers, and needles are different. I am not sure what stock is, but it might be like 178 up front and 180 in the rear with 45S pilots. Anyone?

Take a look at this thread for advise on shimming the needles.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=22612

Let us know what you find out about that jet. Thank you. JB

Well two things.... they are called emulsion tubes not diffusers
and the stock jetting is 175frt\178 rear except for above 6k feet elevation then it's 173\175 and yes #45 pilots are the stock set up.

or maybe the valves are still mad from being lashed.......
Old 05-23-2010, 08:01 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by mdbuehler
Could that have just leaked down when you pulled the coolant lines off the carbs?

I just had mine apart today, and my bucking, sloggy behavior seems to have been mainly gunk all over the slides. There was a lot of buildup, so cleaned all of that off, and to my suprise I found a Factory jet kit in there too, so she isn't stock afterall lol Moved the clips down to groove 5 (from 4) to throw more fuel in for the K&N filter, and buttoned it back up. I saw no reason for the stopped up fuel delivery in the rear carb, the floats etc were all clean, so not sure there.

Runs like a CHAMP now! Smooth, LOTS more power lol! It'd been bad for quite a while it seems and was just getting worse
So how did the sub-filters look? The little foam pieces that go under the rubber blocks that came with the K&N filter. They are there to filter the air going to the slides. If they are in bad shape or missing you will get a lot of dirt and grime on the carb slides.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:30 AM
Back Marker

mdbuehler
I'll bet thats where your coolant came from, mine dribbled on the motor and garage floor as well as my workbench.

I noticed the jet kit when I pulled the needles to shim them and saw the clips. First thought was how nice that was of Honda, but then thought more about it, checked the mains and saw Factory etched on them.

Slides should go up and down SMOOOOOTH. If they hesitae or catch, check up in the CAP, not the slide itself and you may find the buildup there (that's where mine was).

8541, the filters look good. The K&N hasn't been in long, and its been not running all that great for awhile now, now that I know how it SHOULD'VE been running
Old 05-24-2010, 01:53 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Well two things.... they are called emulsion tubes not diffusers
Right, I wonder what I was thinking, it was a bit late for me. Thanks.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:31 AM
Banned
MotoGP

No worries...... I do it all the time....
Old 05-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Squid

Where would I be without the forum!? Lol ..by
"Lashing" the valves I did mean clearancing. I guess since there aren't rocker arms there's not. Really any lashing . lots of info and some great ideas....ill check it out Wednesday evening and see what i can come up with. I'll let ya's know. Thanks