Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Strange sounds come in 3? Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 02:56 PM
Back Marker

nova_scotian_996 is on a distinguished road
Strange sounds come in 3? Help

So the weather up here in this part of Canada is getting warm enough to enjoy long full day rides.

Im out yesterday from 10am to around 7pm....

At around 6pm im driving in fairly heavy traffic and hear a whirring sound (like a kazoo) come from under my tank.

Since im a squid I reason it off to being another vehicle in traffic making that sound...

20 minutes later I hear a loud quick rattle that lasts only a second come from around the same place.

Since Im a squid I think its just a backfire in my carbs that happen now and then even though the sound was different.

20 minutes later im making my entrance onto an onramp to the highway when the bike feels like the clutch slipped for a second. It was just a small loss of power but it was noticeable.

I am now CCT paranoid but should I be looking elsewhere?

Its a 2 week wait to get it into any of the Authorized Honda Dealers in town which sucks.....

I brought it home, it starts up fine but im not gonna ride it until im sure its not CCT related.

Are there any subtle noises I should be looking for?

Bike is a 2004 with 13,000 kilometers.

My previous 2 days driving included everything from stuck in traffic to going way too fast.

Help me...
Old 04-24-2007, 04:26 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I wonder if it could be something in the clutch/trans that is just waking up from a long winter's hibernation. I don't think your mileage is high enough to be in CCT-land but stranger things have happened. Inasmuch as the bike is new to you and fresh out of winter storage I wouldn't jump the gun. Neither would I leave for Utah! Go on short rides and see what happens over the next couple weeks. Change the oil. Look the bike over well. Dave Wicks had some mice build a nest in his bike over the winter! Glad you're out there! Enjoy and be careful!
Old 04-24-2007, 05:11 PM
Back Marker

Dave Wicks is on a distinguished road
Scary Noises....

Hey Nova Scotia..

Dave Wicks at your service...mice power...so the noise could be tiny feet trying to scurry away from that gapping 48mil carb...Noises can freak a person out for sure. Search the site on CCT stuff..see what you think. If your cams slipped out of time from a CCT letting go you sure would lose power but it wouldn't come back to normal. The slides in the carbs do clack and rattle in certain situations...Most CCT's have failed at higher mileage but not always. Mine has 7000 km.s..I changed them myself just to be safe...love the bike want to ride it for years.. Let's back up a bit..
1: Did you treat your storage gas with Stabil or did you drain and put in fresh?
2: Can you let it idle and have a listen with mechanics stethescope or screwdriver to see if you can hear it again...listen next to where the stock CCT sits on both cylinders..
3: Have you changed anything in airbox/carbs/crank case ventilation stuff??

Could be the engine is staggering with crappy fuel...
But...you do not want to have your CCT's puke and allow the cam chain to skip...very bad....Still I don't think that's what's going on...

There's a ton of experience here..guys..what da ya think??

Talk to us..
Dave
Old 04-24-2007, 05:16 PM
Back Marker

Ok, here is a bit of an update. Prior to my trips out i took a few hours to clean the chain really well with some WD40 the chain was really dirty etc. At this time I checked the chain tension and it had about an inch play...perfecto!!

So today after my first post and some pizza I went out and started my baby and listened. Nothing to be heard but the V Twin purr. So it was up on my Hindle stand and I put it in first and I hear the chain was much louder than usual.

So I checked the tension and it was waaaaay slack.

So, did the WD40 penetrate too far?? and possibly did the axle slip forward from a long days driving?

When I pushed down on the chain it actually made contact with the exhaust which could have been one of the the loud quick rattle I heard.

Does this make sense?
Old 04-24-2007, 05:23 PM
Back Marker

I used fuel stabilizer over the winter and have had 4 tanks or so through it so far....

Are you suggesting I play doctor with my beloved bike?? I dont have a stethoscope of any kind but I have stuck my head in right under the bike and listened intently. Nothing to note. Thanks for your help.

I have a KN air filter, but that has been in since 04...
Old 04-24-2007, 07:36 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
It may be likely that you had a tight link or two that didn't loosen up until after the ride. They do that sometimes when they sit over winter. So don't think that your axle slipped. If it was torqued even halfway decently then it stayed put. Remember you have those adjuster screws to hold it in place as well.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:42 PM
Back Marker

SuperHawkins is on a distinguished road
You did re-lube the chain after the WD40 right?
Old 04-24-2007, 08:46 PM
Back Marker

Dave Wicks is on a distinguished road
Scary Noises

Hey Nova Scotia..

I'd guess you have found the source of your noise. Re-adjust the chain and go for a spin. Hard to detect where sounds are coming from while riding..in fact that could be dangerous..easy with that. Ride out to Saskatchewan and I'll change your CCT's to be sure...As I said before, go through the CCT threads to get a sense of what that sounds like...to put your mind at rest..This coming winter..do your CCT's...Let us know how things go with the chain sorted....Have you checked for mice....the little swine chewed off part of my snorkel and the little flapper/barrier inside..I sorted that all out..plus he had peed all over the filter and clogged it up...Just a warning in some areas of the country there is what is called the Hunta(not spelled right) Virsus in deer mice..that can be fatal to humans so if you find mice sh...in things get a mask on..not fooling okay!!

Take Care
Dave
Old 04-25-2007, 02:58 AM
Back Marker

chain was re lubed.....

Im gonna take it into work today....real easy...

Wish me luck