Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

help please!strange noise

Old 04-05-2010, 01:56 AM
Squid

merlyn is on a distinguished road
Angry help please!strange noise

Today when I returned from the countryside I started to hear a strange sound coming from my engine like a metallic click! I stopped immediately on the right side of the road and I stopped my engine! When I tried to start again only heard a metallic noise!
My bike is a 98 Honda Vtr 1000 F with only 38000km! I want to mention, my motorcycle was free of problems until now!
What kind of problem do i have???
Thank you,
Old 04-05-2010, 02:17 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
You most likely have a failed CCT / Cam chain tensioner... With a lot of luck nothing in there hit anything it shouldn't to hard and you need only have the CCT's replaced...

Unfortunately with the re-start and metallic noise you probably made a expensive mistake... I'd guess new valves are needed as well... Possibly more... Either tear the top down if you know how or have a shop help you... Don't try cranking it again, it only adds 0's to the amount this will cost you...
Old 04-05-2010, 04:46 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
I agree - probably a failed CCT. Find the writes ups on how to replace them (look in the knowledge base). Start by removing both valve head covers and take a look before you do anything else. See if you have a lose cam chain, if you do, you have a bad CCT. What I am not sure of is if you do not see a lose chain, that does not necessarily mean that the CCT is good. Next ->

Take the spark plugs out, and the two flywheel covers off the left engine side cover (the two small round circles that unscrew with an allen wrench), carefully see if you can turn the engine counterclockwise at least 2 full revolutions with a 17mm socket wrench, if you can't, you have a problem. Do not force it! Look and listen as you do this. If you can, you are probably ok with just replacing the CCTs, >opinions welcomed here<

Hopefully you did not waste anything else, you will quickly find out. In any case, replace the CCTs with manual units like APEs on the left below. Stock unit on the right.

Name:  DSC03699.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  64.6 KB
Old 04-05-2010, 04:56 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by residentg
Take the spark plugs out, and the two flywheel covers off the left engine side cover (the two small round circles that unscrew with an allen wrench), carefully see if you can turn the engine counterclockwise at least 2 full revolutions with a 17mm socket wrench, if you can't, you have a problem. Do not force it! Look and listen as you do this. If you can, you are probably ok with just replacing the CCTs, >opinions welcomed here<
While doing this, have the valve covers removed and check the cam timing. If the valves have interfered with the pistons, it is because the chain has slipped and retimed the cams.

Hopefully you will be ok. Good luck!
Old 04-05-2010, 05:35 AM
SuperSport

^^ Good point, I should have mentioned that, thank you RCVTR
Old 04-06-2010, 12:43 AM
Squid

I took my bike in service today and I expect the verdict may not be so bad! I dont trust in roumanian services but this is the only solution for me! I dont have too much free time! Thank you
Old 04-06-2010, 06:48 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
I noticed a sound from my bike (1998 VTR with 24K miles) this morning also. The best way I can describe the sound is that it's like a film player (like at the movies) clicking away. The clicks get faster with RPM increase, but it's not a very loud sound. I can barely hear it while poking along in DC traffic, and can't hear it at all once the speeds increase (probably due to wind noise). Could this be CCT's? I'm nervous about it now with all the horror stories I've read. If not CCT's, what else could it be?
Old 04-06-2010, 09:14 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by evines
I noticed a sound from my bike (1998 VTR with 24K miles) this morning also. The best way I can describe the sound is that it's like a film player (like at the movies) clicking away. The clicks get faster with RPM increase, but it's not a very loud sound. I can barely hear it while poking along in DC traffic, and can't hear it at all once the speeds increase (probably due to wind noise). Could this be CCT's? I'm nervous about it now with all the horror stories I've read. If not CCT's, what else could it be?
Valves might need adjusting.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:13 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
I did some more research and I think it might be an exhaust leak. I listened to it again this morning, and I even think I heard it "sputtering" a few times at lower RPM instead of clicking.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:55 AM
Always Learning
Back Marker

AdamK is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by residentg
I agree - probably a failed CCT. Find the writes ups on how to replace them (look in the knowledge base). Start by removing both valve head covers and take a look before you do anything else. See if you have a lose cam chain, if you do, you have a bad CCT. What I am not sure of is if you do not see a lose chain, that does not necessarily mean that the CCT is good. Next ->

Hopefully you did not waste anything else, you will quickly find out. In any case, replace the CCTs with manual units like APEs on the left below. Stock unit on the right.

Why does it seem (visually only I am sure) like the OEM is so much nicer and the APE is basically just a big screw and nut. (sorry for the dumb q)
Old 04-07-2010, 08:07 AM
SuperSport

The epitome of eloquence is simplicity .
Old 04-07-2010, 08:54 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by AdamK
Why does it seem (visually only I am sure) like the OEM is so much nicer and the APE is basically just a big screw and nut. (sorry for the dumb q)
Because the APE is just a big screw and nut. (or rather shaped nut plus normal retaining nut)

The thing is.. the APE doesn't have fiddly little bits and a over worked, under built, improperly oiled (cooled) spring that eventually will fail and take out your valve train when it does.

If you want the constantly adjusting features of the OEM CCTs, go ahead and use them, they are usually safe for a good long while. Just swap them out every few valve check intervals, even though Honda says they never need replacing, we know better from experience.

(or just get a big dumb bolt and be done with it for good)
Old 04-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Squid

i was again at the service in the morgning and they have discovered an broken spring at the front cyclinder tensioner!Tomorow they will remove the heads and see If it s any damage at the valves!
Old 04-07-2010, 11:52 AM
MotoGP

Yep, the front CCT is the most common one to go, have them change both CCTs if you don't go to manual ones so that you don't pull a Becky and have to do this twice: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=21864
Old 04-07-2010, 02:53 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by evines
I did some more research and I think it might be an exhaust leak. I listened to it again this morning, and I even think I heard it "sputtering" a few times at lower RPM instead of clicking.
Sounds like a good possibility. An exhaust leak can sound like mechanical clicking. Try listening through a piece of hose or tubing.