Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

still bogging out

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 02:03 PM
98 superhawk
Squid

mikebrittain7 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy still bogging out

hi guys so i recently had a prob with my superhawk sputtering and bogging out from 1000 rpms to about 3000 rpms once past that it reved out fine. so i changed the plugs. put all back together and its a bit better but still does not rev great until past about 3000 rpms. any help would be great. thanks
Old 04-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Superstock

skoshere is on a distinguished road
i see you have Two Brothers pipes on there... you are lean on idle and transition to needles..

my suggestion ( some say yes/some no) is to go with a # 48 pilot. I couldnt get the bike right with a stock # 45 pilot. try somewhere in the 2 turns and work from there on the fuel screw (may need more, maybe less) its the fine tuning of the bike.

now shim the carbs with 2 .020 # 4 washers (as I recall) on the front and rear.

this should get you in the ballpark for a strong runner and then just screw around with the fuel screw to get everything jsut right...

also if you have an aftermarket filter, throw in a stock and that will also help greatly.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:39 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
What lead up to the problem? Any changes that may have precipitated this? Being in Oregon did you just recently pull her out for the season and find this problem?
I don't disagre with Skoshere's tuning tips, but just like working on your computer, when did it last work right and what have you done since.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:12 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Stevebis1
What lead up to the problem? Any changes that may have precipitated this? Being in Oregon did you just recently pull her out for the season and find this problem?
I don't disagre with Skoshere's tuning tips, but just like working on your computer, when did it last work right and what have you done since.
All good questions. Add to those;

Which exhaust (skoshere figured that out)?

Which air filter?

How is the bike jetted now? OEM, Dynojet, Factory Pro? Which pilot jets, main jets, needle position? How long since the last carb sync? etc.

The more info like this provided, the easier it is for people to offer intelligent advice.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:27 PM
98 superhawk
Squid

the air filter is stock. exhaust is two brothers its a full systym header pipe and all. i ride pretty much all year we get enough nice days here that it does not sit for more then a week or two. jetting i am not sure of the bike was set up this way when i bought it. i will get into the carbs tommorrow and see what jets it has. thank you for all of your great info. also was wondering why one side of the exhaust is warm when running and the other side never really has any heat at all even when the bike is warm.thanks again
Old 04-03-2010, 09:00 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
full system... then it probably has a jet kit. pull the choke out a little and see if it gets better or worse.

tim
Old 04-03-2010, 09:29 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
The Honda headers have an internal tab on one side which supposedly enables the bike to make more torque at lower revs. Results in more heat/flow out of one can than the other.

Either your bike actually has stock headers or Two Brothers put a similar tab in their full system.

With a full system and straight through baffles you "should" have a jet kit installed, but there's only one way to find out.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:52 AM
98 superhawk
Squid

thanks everyone for your help i am going to tear into it today and hopefully figure it out. will get back with my findings
Old 04-04-2010, 10:14 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikebrittain7
thanks everyone for your help i am going to tear into it today and hopefully figure it out. will get back with my findings
you said that one pipe never gets hot. sounds like you're running on one cylinder. Maybe a coil bad? check plugs for firing to see.