General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Engine Bogging + Air filter Problem (maybe) + new rider + PLEASE !!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Test
Squid

vasaq is on a distinguished road
Question Engine Bogging + Air filter Problem (maybe) + new rider + PLEASE !!!

Hi

I am a new rider and I having some trouble running the bike at low speeds. Allow me to describe the symptoms:

1) When I start her up in the morning, there is a bit of a hiss and putt and then after a while she runs fine...
2) occassionally when I leave a stop sign after stopping, the sound changes to a dull doodoodoodoodoodoodoood versus the drrrrrrrdrrrrrrrrdrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (sorry if this sounds funny ..couldn't think of any other way)...and then abt a 100 meters or so away ...the sound changes and i feel the bike trying to shoot out and i feel these surges and when i grab the clutch a wee bit and let it go she is back to the drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and I am fine
3) the seller told me that he changed the spartks plugs(NJK) a 1000 miles ago
3) he tells me the carbs were rejetted around 6k miles when they put after market pipes on there ( evion something pipes..i cant remember the name now) ....
4) he has never changed the air filter (the bike is around 11k miles )
5) the bike spits fire once in a while when revved
6) there is a smell of gas once in a while

My little knowledge of bikes suspects that the bike is running rich and i suspect the air filter....but will an air filter cause the bike to run this rich\

I checked with autoadvance and they have a KN filter for 105$...( it has some million miles warranty or something) ...for an air filter this looked a bit steep to me ...what is a 'normal' and 'good' price for an airfilter?

Please let me know what u think abt this.

I am from knoxville TN and I havent seen one driver here that has this bike ...so if u are from around knoxville please let me know( i would like to show the bike to a experienced member)....

cheers
hari
Old 09-05-2007, 06:59 PM
Squid

mkimber is on a distinguished road
These bikes are pretty tricky to tune correctly from what I've read and from experience. I know that price is high on the K&N, I got mine for 75 off Ebay. Does it make any difference if you pull the choke out while the engine is running? I know when I installed my K&N filter, the bike ran like crap so I took it out untill I installed my Dynojet kit. Even then, I had to take everything apart 4 times to get the bike tuned right. I think you need to find out what jets are in your carbs. I know that doesn't help much but there are plenty of people here that can help you better than I can.