Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Starter Valve's

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 08:34 PM
Back Marker

Dave Wicks is on a distinguished road
Starter Valve's

It's winter here, so got the Firestorm in pieces. Did some cleaning of the "choke cables" actually called starter valves.. they are part of an enrichening system for start up. Mines a 2000, probably not been looked at before, they were pretty gummed up..moisture stuff.. I'm not aware of my bike running poorly or using more gas than normal..But the cables are coming out further when I shove the "choke" in than they were before cleaned and lubed... Just a thought for anyone who has found their Hawk overly rich..
They are very fragile...careful if you take them apart..don't ask me how I know that..

Take Care
Dave:smile:
Old 03-14-2007, 08:21 AM
Squid

MotoRider is on a distinguished road
My bike began to sputter and backfire at lower speeds, even stalling at stops. I dug into the bike a bit and found the plastic nuts that hold the starter enrichment valves were broken off clean at the carb body, exposing the springs and cable. I'm hoping this was causing the choke to stick somehow and causing my bike to run poorly. I'm in the process of trying to track down those plastic nuts, hopefully they are available as a seperate part.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:00 AM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
i found brass ones that fit. the came off the choke cable for a 400 polaris scrambler. the ones off of a 250 polaris scrambler are too big but can be re cut and made to work if yur very patient. havent tried the one off of a 500 polaris. its a 4-stroke but does hav a mic carb. odds are 50/50 wouldnt hurt to try.

they hav a threaded end that needs drilled out but they are brass so its easy. and they wont snap like the stock plastic ones do. one of mine was broke when i got the bike the other one i broke trying to put back in the front carb.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:36 AM
Back Marker

Chokes..

Hi Guys;

Sorry I had not looked at this for a while. Yes Honda sells a replacement kit for the cable ends...They are very fragile so care must be taken..Likely don't break in operation...unless really gunked up..but could be cracked during removal or installation..If you look at a micro-fiche you can identify them..same part for front or rear carb. I believe..not cheap..

Take Care
Dave
Old 03-14-2007, 03:01 PM
Squid

MD_Lieber is on a distinguished road
I think Honda sells the cable (**** and cable ONLY) for about $40. You guys are probably more interested in just the needle assembly, which Honda sells for about $30 (each). There's a 90 degree 'elbow' between the cable and the needle, and that's where they come apart.

Good luck!
Old 03-14-2007, 09:38 PM
Back Marker

Chokes

Honda sells the parts that were broken. It comes with more than you need but the plastic threaded elbow comes with it so you will good to go when you get the bits from Honda.. it all comes together..Again get the micro-fiche at the dealer.. you can pick it out..I think the number on the screen is 11..

Take Care
Dave... be careful on the re-assembly or you can break it again...
Old 03-15-2007, 05:37 AM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dave Wicks
Dave... be careful on the re-assembly or you can break it again...
thats why i used the brass ones i found, lots harder to break then the stock plastic ones. they are failry easy to get ahold of on ebay too.