Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Standard Fork Upgrade Service Guide

Old 07-04-2014, 06:55 PM
SuperSport

twist is on a distinguished road
Standard Fork Upgrade Service Guide

Has anyone seen this fork upgrade by cybercarl? I read though it several times and think it might be worthwhile for the economy minded rider. Since some of you out there are quite obsessed with modifications, what are your ideas on this mod?

BTW, thanks cybercarl!!

www.vtr1000.org • View topic - Standard Fork Upgrade Service Guide
Old 07-05-2014, 06:15 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I think you should start pulling the forks today!
Old 07-05-2014, 06:27 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
I have looked a multiple (10-15) threads on service/rebuild for the stock forks and never found this one. It is by far the best. Thank you.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:40 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Not to rain on any one's parade, but I think that I have read that the damper rod taper mod and hole is not necessary or wanted. I think that it was Jamie at DMS. It could be because he (Jamie) also reworks the shim stack. I have read so many threads on this I don't have all sorted out in my head yet.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:36 AM
MotoGP

If you are new to superhawks, rest assured, Roger Ditchfield is a name you can trust. Revolution Racing Go to the racing tab and have a read.

Not trying to imply the opposite for Jamie. His reputation speaks for itself.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:02 PM
SuperSport

I am hoping Jamie will chime in here, I'm not totally sure of the 1mm hole drill myself, but I don't have the gear head Jamie has. Thing is, there's no going back after it's done unless I replace the parts I modify so I want to be sure and get as much information as I can before I do this.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:46 PM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wolverine
I think you should start pulling the forks today!
did you decide to pull the trigger on the CBR front end?
Old 07-05-2014, 02:02 PM
MotoGP

JS, no reply to my PM. Guess I'll send him another one.

Twist, pretty sure JD will set you up w/ a valve kit and springs, no drilling required. Questions is, do you have the funds?
Old 07-05-2014, 04:12 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Wolverine
JS, no reply to my PM. Guess I'll send him another one.

Twist, pretty sure JD will set you up w/ a valve kit and springs, no drilling required. Questions is, do you have the funds?
I have a set of his springs but am savig my cash for the rear shock.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Squid

wolfgun is on a distinguished road
Is cybercarl dumping his oil into a storm drain?
Old 08-09-2014, 12:05 AM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys This is Rogers basic fork upgrade all I have done is put it into a more clear and concise write up of what has already been put out on the web. I purchased the custom Raceteck springs from Roger and was in contact with him over the build for help and advice. Please note there a few little addictions that have been purposely left out that thread. After all this is Rogers living/business so can't give away all his secrets and I have to respect that Were very lucky for the help and snippets of info he does give us. Roger is a very very nice man. Proper old school gentleman. If anyone has any questions he would happily help if one was to contact him. nobody knows these bikes as well as he does, well.... Dan Kyle over your side, but they where both on the same Team. I dread to think how much was spent on research and development over the years to see what works and what doesn't.

There is a more advanced upgrade where the shim stacks are altered, this is an area I have not played/experimented/learnt about as of yet. I did question Roger about the 1mm relief hole as I was surprised that such a small hole would make a difference. His reply was as follows:
A very important modification around the compression valve regardless of make
As Twist has said good for the budget rider or if one wants to tinker and learn little about fork internals. My forks where completely standard before and after changing the springs and servicing them as in the thread they are so much better. They are not the best and nothing like an USD fork conversion, but for me being on a budget I am happy as it's a vast improvement over what they were to begin with.

Is cybercarl dumping his oil into a storm drain?
Shhhhh I know I know a little naughty. Not as bad as Exxon though LOL The way I see it it's no worse than what goes down the sink with cooking oil. It's not as if it's a very thick oil, more like fish oil. You should see the drains in China town, now that is nasty congealed fat Anyway tampons cause more damage to the sewage system and it keeps people employed cleaning the sewage works. If I lived in the countryside I would have buried it in the ground or burnt it.

(:-})