Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

SS lines not fitting

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 07:57 AM
Superstock

alive226 is on a distinguished road
SS lines not fitting

I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge about using aftermarket SS lines w/ helibars. I purchased a set of Spiegler aftermarket SS lines made for a Superhawk. I have Helibars and the right side line is too short. Am I doing something wrong here or do I have to contact Spiegler and have them send me a longer line for that side? The bike is up in the air and the forks are fully extended, I'm not sure if this matters or not? Yur help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:23 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
i have seen 2 different configurations, but with heli bars you may have needed to order longer lines.

#1) double banjo on the master cylinder with 2 lines running down to the calipers.

#2) double banjo on the right caliper. 1 line running from the MC to the right
caliper & 1 line looping from the right to the left caliper.

tim
Old 01-18-2009, 08:40 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Running a line from one caliper to another works,, But makes bleeding the brakes an even bigger pain than it already is.... Not a path I would do,, Even though a few bikes came that way.

Longer line is what you need. And yes you should be installing them with the front extended, or at least checking them that way.... .. Otherwise when you come up over a rise o lift the front wheel.... your liable to be in for a HUGE surprise when the bake line is now your travel limiter.....untill the hose pops out of the fitting.

Measure your line now, order a longer one... .. ..

Ohh, ummm, did you retain the Y block? or are you trying to use two lines from MC to caliper?
Old 01-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Superstock

Using two lines from the MC to the calipers. Thanks and I hope Spiegler will be willing to assist. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Superstock

OK, it looks like I'm going to have to return them. Spiegler said they couldn't help, that I would have to go through Kneedraggers. They would gladdly sell me an additional line thats long enough. I got my RMA#, but here is now my question. Does anyone know of stock lines for a bike, that will fit a SH w/heli bars? Example...will lines for a stock 2007 CBR 1000rr fit my bike, or will I have to do them custon? Thanks.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
The CBR1000RR stock lines are one side and then over the wheel... And I tried to re-use that after my front swap... I gave up on bleeding that crap after a few tries... It was as said above a huge PITA...

Usualy you can order VTR +1" or +2"... I think that would be the best option...
Old 01-21-2009, 05:20 AM
Superstock

OK. Thanks. I'm sending these back today and will order new later.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:13 AM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
You're not gonna find many bikes with longer legs than a 'Hawk. The VFR would be close to the same and since they already have longer clipons could possibly work for your situation. If you want I'll measure mine once it warms up a bit. Let me know what points to measure from so we're on the same page. I'm thinking from the banjo on the caliper straight up the tubes to the MC banjo.

You could also drop your forks about 10mm (or raise them technically) to make up the difference. I've got HEL SS lines for a VTR that for some reason won't fit in the stock configuration. Luckily the forks were already lowered for quicker turn in. Just a thought.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:59 AM
Superstock

The longer of the two lines (the one that goes from the MC on the right side, to the caliper on the left side) is 730mm long and it fits. I am guessing that if I could have two that length, they would fit. The short side line is 700mm long, according to Spiegler.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:09 AM
Back Marker

VTRumble is an unknown quantity at this point
I've got the Spieglers on mine with the Helibars, and haven't noticed any travel issues. I'll have to double check when I get home, but I've had the front up when I did the tires, and didn't see anything odd. I'll let you know what I find.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:38 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I can't remember whose lines I bought but it took a little while to figure it out. Which end is up? Which one goes on the right? Can you reuse the stock routing loops?

I tried several ways before I got it to work with my Helis. Now I had my front end rebuilt by Hawkrider and his setup instructions include dropping the upper triple on the forks 12mm. This might have saved my *** because they just fit.

I did mess up ordering stock lengths for a friend in Iraq. I had also ordered him an RC51 master cylinder for his 6-pot gixxer calipers. They clearly didn't fit. I have 6-pots on my bike as well but I think the master cylinder was different enough to make that side not work.

Make sure you've tried all the options but I would do it better next time I did the change. Maybe returning them is the best bet. Erik, put his on ebay and sold them for a decent price plus freight so not to pay freight twice to get the parts here.

You might consider that option as well. I don't know about you but these freight rates really make it hard to work on your bike - especially the big stuff.

Ever tried to ship a header? Tires? A gas tank? Don't! The lines are small so it's not as big a deal.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:37 AM
Back Marker

VTRumble is an unknown quantity at this point
I took a look at mine, and they're OK. I think that if I had a couple more inches of travel I'd have problems. I'll try to dig up the receipt for the part # to see if they are the same.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:45 AM
Superstock

Well it looks like I will have to either call Spiegler and get the lines custom made, or go with some Gaflers. I really liked the Spieglers, as they seemed very high quality. I may just go through Safety First Racing (the sponsor of Bobby Fong in the AMA Supersport class) as they are located in my town and the owner seemed like a great guy when I met him a couple of weeks ago. I picked up a pair of Komodo FX boots from him. He is also offering a 4hr free suspension class on Jan 31st, put on by his lead suspension tuner. Might be nice to give the local guy my business. Here is their link. http://www.safetyfirstracing.com/
Old 01-24-2009, 06:02 PM
Squid

Collywog19 is on a distinguished road
Ive just fitted a set of HEL braided lines to my hawk.

They were at a shop near me, labbeled for Ducati st4, and had £50 marking. I looked again and seen £10 SALE PRICE. i bought them right away, even if they didnt fit the hawk, i would sell them on ebay uk as for ducati st4. But i fitted them today with NO issues , they follow original routes and im using original retainers etc to hold lines. Happy times.

Colin
Old 01-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Superstock

Thanks,

I will have to look into the ST4 lines. It is always cheaper to get the lines as a standard kit for a bike than as custom jobs. Thanks
Old 01-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Superstock

Colin. I was just re-reading your post. You didn't say if you are running heli or other riser bars. Is that the case? And if so what kind? Thanks
Old 02-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Squid

RC927 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by alive226
Colin. I was just re-reading your post. You didn't say if you are running heli or other riser bars. Is that the case? And if so what kind? Thanks
I have some Goodridge lines that were a little long when I put them on. I've since put the lines that came with the handlebar kit on and will sell the old ones. Let me know if you are interested and I'll send pics and measurements.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:45 PM
Superstock

Damn!!! I just bought new lines today from Spiegler. VTR1000 lines +2inches. Oh well, thanks for thinking of me though.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:42 PM
SuperBike

Truckinduc is on a distinguished road
Ive got goodridge stainless braided lines on my bike with CR low rise handlebars. Im doing the double Banjo at the top and my own routing. Ive got about an inch of extra line to play with.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:13 PM
MLB
Back Marker

MLB is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RC927
I have some Goodridge lines that were a little long when I put them on. I've since put the lines that came with the handlebar kit on and will sell the old ones. Let me know if you are interested and I'll send pics and measurements.

I"m interested. Condition? Were you running OEM clipons when they were long? How old?
Thanks
Old 02-19-2009, 09:14 PM
MLB
Back Marker

Originally Posted by alive226
Damn!!! I just bought new lines today from Spiegler. VTR1000 lines +2inches. Oh well, thanks for thinking of me though.
What did those cost you? Have Helibars coming soon.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:15 PM
MLB
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Truckinduc
Ive got goodridge stainless braided lines on my bike with CR low rise handlebars. Im doing the double Banjo at the top and my own routing. Ive got about an inch of extra line to play with.
Are they just the "normal" VTR braided lines? (not extra long)
Old 02-19-2009, 09:18 PM
SuperBike

Truckinduc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MLB
Are they just the "normal" VTR braided lines? (not extra long)
I have no Idea. I bought some VTR calipers and the lines came with them. I can measure the length tomorrow if you like.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Superstock

The ones I got are just VTR1000 lines with two inches of length added to each line. They cost me $106 + shipping directly from Spiegler.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Back Marker

NAVY8TR is on a distinguished road
along the same lines...I just bought a full set of braided brake/clutch lines from galfer. All brake lines went on no problem, I ran the clutch line along the same path as the stock line, as well as a direct route. and it seems like its about 3 inches too short. I am 100% i didn't mix up the lines before putting them on either. Anyone else have this problem? Recommendations?