Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Fitting larger oil cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 08:06 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Fitting larger oil cooler?

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone has made any attempt to fit a larger capacity oil cooler to their VTR to enhance the cooling ability? I just did a quick search on eBay and saw quite a few used coolers from different bikes that have significantly more capacity. It seems that replacing the stock unit would be fairly simple (make mounting bracket, attach lines). Am I wrong? My bike is currently in storage so I have no access to it but for those of you who do, is there a lot of additional room for a larger unit? Any special concerns I should be aware of?

Although I don't do track days, I am bothered by the fact that the engine seems to build heat rapidly in stop and go/low-speed riding, as well as bing slow to cool down once it has warmed up (it's ok when riding on the highway). I realize I am likely being paranoid but this tendency to get the temp needle up makes me uncomfortable and causes me to limit my riding around town, for example.

cheers
Old 03-16-2007, 09:21 AM
El Cheapo
Back Marker

cat0020 is on a distinguished road
Cool

I'm in the process of mounting a Suzuki GSXR oilcooler to replace the VTR OEM oilcooler. Just the surface area of the GSXR unit is about three times the size of VTF unit.
I'm trying to place the unit between the engine case and front header pipe.
When I figure it out, I'll post some pictures.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:52 AM
MotoGP

Thanks. The OEM unit found on the VTR is minuscule. While I realize it is not a high-revving engine, it does create a lot of heat and the positioning of the rads is not exactly optimal for getting rid of it. Which year/model GSX_R cooler are you using? Can you not fit it up top where the stock one goes?

cheers
Old 03-16-2007, 12:14 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
I've fitted an oil cooler that came off a ZRX6, don't know what year, e-bay for less than $10.
The lines are from Earl's supply and the fittings I made myself using the original VTR fittings at the bottom and the Kawi fittings at the top with the apppropriate adapters brazed to the original fittings.
There is plenty of room between the stock radiators and even more if your radiator has beenmoved under the seat.
Oil temp now matches coolant temp.

Kai Ju
Old 03-16-2007, 07:51 PM
MotoGP

Awesome, that is exactly one of the units I was looking at, thanks bud

Would it be possible for you to post pics of your set-up? It would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Superstock

Radiaoktiv is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
Awesome, that is exactly one of the units I was looking at, thanks bud

Would it be possible for you to post pics of your set-up? It would be greatly appreciated
he has a lot of pics here
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ead.php?t=1130
Old 03-20-2007, 04:13 PM
MotoGP

Well, I just did the eBay thing and picked up a used cooler (excellent shape) from a Honda EX400 ATV (see pic). It seems to have about twice the surface area of the stock unit and should basically mount up no problem (same fittings it seems, will have to make a mounting bracket but that is no big deal). I may yet look at going to something bigger though...
Old 03-20-2007, 04:24 PM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
guys, RC51. twice the size, same fititngs and mounting tabs.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:28 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Zedicus
guys, RC51. twice the size, same fititngs and mounting tabs.
Crap! Now there's going to be a run on them on ebay.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:56 PM
MotoGP

I did see one on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.ca/Honda-RC51-oil-co...ayphotohosting) but this one was in much better shape, and I got it shipped to my door for only $21 US
Old 03-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll give you $22 US for it. jk
Old 03-20-2007, 05:05 PM
MotoGP

Let me think about it.......
Old 03-20-2007, 06:33 PM
MotoGP

eBay strikes again!!!! I picked up this one from a ZX9. I obviously won't be fitting both but this will be my first choice; I will sell whichever one is left over (plus the stock one). If I get this one to fit my cooling problems should be over, woohoo!!!!
Old 03-20-2007, 07:33 PM
Superstock

if you guys are over heating so badly that u need that HUGE of an oil cooler then i would imagine you have other problems?
Old 03-20-2007, 08:10 PM
MotoGP

Call it a phobia but I don't like seeing the needle come up and the fan kick in. While the engine is obviously not destroyed by it, I would tend to think that it lies outside the optimal operating range. In order to generate airflow through the rads (due to their position), you need to travel at a half-decent speed (well above city riding range) as there needs to be a low-pressure zone created outside the proximity of the rads. I like to take care of my stuff (maintenance, choice of oil, ....) and, as I plan to keep the bike for a while, I want to put the odds in my favour.

Finally, there are numerous reports (latest test of the VFR in Motorcyclist for example) where they express concern about the cooling abilities (or lack thereof) of Hondas with side-mounted rads so we are not alone in thinking this way. You are, of course, free to disagree.....
Old 03-20-2007, 10:38 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Well, yes. We do what we can to keep the bike running cool, but lemme ask one question. Do you add extra cooling capacity to your car? Do you worry when ITS fan kicks on?

I don't, and I personally feel the Honda is built better than the Pontiac. I think the engineers did a decent enough job to keep Honda's reputation for reliability sound so I really don't worry about it.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:24 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I would also like to point out one more interesting fact before you decide to move on with this project. Engine oil has an optimum operating temperature. If the oil does not reach this temperature a few bad things can happen. You will have increased sludge formation and crankcase dilution due to condensation and water buildup, as well as certain volotile chemicals which cannot boil off due to low temperatures. This leads to excessive wear especially in the cylinder bores and bearing surfaces, and of course a buildup of sludge in the engine. Low oil temperatures will also cause increased parasitic losses resulting in loss of fuel mileage (like our bikes really need that).

Something to consider....
Old 03-21-2007, 02:26 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
I guess one factor is that our bikes do have a reputation for good miles, so the design can't be too bad.

I must admit that I don't like it running on the fan in traffic though either. My Suzuki doesn't with its front mounted radiator.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:29 AM
Superstock

another good trick to keeping oil temps down is run just a tad more oil then suggested. like up to the high side of the top mark on the case. the extra oil helps disapate heat quicker and still allows it to get up to propper temperatur. as stated engine oil NEEDS heat to work properly, and while too much heat is bad for it, i seriously doubt a hawk gets there. it was 100+ last summer here and the good ol hawk never hickupped.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:25 AM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
Greg
+1 to what you said.

unless you've got an oil temp gauge and you know your oil is exceeding 260-275F you don't "need" an oil cooler.

IF you do fit a larger oil cooler, I would reccomend you fit an aftermarket oil temp gauge at the same time. Keep an eye on your your oil temps don't stay up above 200F remove the larger cooler.

Oil is inteded to run at a higher temp than coolant. Don't worry just because the cooling fan kicks on. That's what it's there for.

if you're still worried do a complete cooling system flush and add water wetter. Do a search on cooling issues, and you'll find many other tips/tricks.

I could see where it MIGHT be necessary on a race bike, or on a Naked bike without the fairing to direct airflow over the rads, but for a more or less "stock" sh...it shouldn't be needed.