Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

New or OEM Chain?

Old 02-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Back Marker

tbartley is on a distinguished road
New or OEM Chain?

Last weekend I got out my brand new to me used VTR to clean the chain. I didn't have a swingarm stand and wasn't sure if I could lift the bike from underneath the crankcase, so I put it on the driveway and cleaned some, then rolled the bike and cleaned some, etc. I didn't have any kero on hand and being raised on a farm...our best solvent was always gas, so I figured it wouldn't hurt for the initial clean on this very heavily coated chain.I didn't even know the sprocket on my bike was silver in color...I thought it was black just like the chain. Surprise! As I was cleaning the chain, I noticed the outer links were gold in color. As I got the adjusters clean (they are chrome too!) the chain is still in the blue (new) area. My bike has just over 30K on it. What I'm wondering is if the chain is still OEM or is this an aftermarket? Did the 01 OEM's have gold colored outer links? The PO only changed spark plugs and oil. He didn't have it long enough to do much else.Any thoughts?
Old 02-21-2009, 07:17 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't use gasoline to clean ANYTHING. If you had ever seen how quickly it lights off, you wouldn't use it either. Plus it will probably damage the o-rings. Kerosene is much safer, and it has lubricating qualities.

Sounds like you have a gold chain, not stock.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:37 AM
Back Marker

Thanks VTRsurfer for the advice. In using the gas, I just wanted to get a good initial cleaning while I had decent outdoor temps that wouldn't freeze my hands and I didn't have any kero. Rest assured, I won't use it again for this purpose. I'm not too familiar with a "gold chain". Is there any difference in maintenance with this type of chain and an OEM chain?
Old 02-22-2009, 08:48 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
The gold outer links mean you've got an aftermarket chain.

While the admonition to use kero or diesel instead of gasoline is wise, unless you're smoking a joint or heating Pop Tarts in a nearby toaster at the same time you'll probably be fine.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:10 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
RK1, don't forget that clothes dryer or water heater in the garage. A coworker of mine was in his front yard in Huntington Beach when a garage door blew off down the street. A 16 year old was cleaning his dirt bike carb with gas from the tank. He escaped without major injury, except maybe to his eardrums.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:05 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
I agree. Gas is very, very, very volatile and should only be used as a motor fuel. There are much better and safer solvents.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:00 PM
Back Marker

OKay...let's say we forget about the gasoline. I'm sorry I even mentioned it. Is there any difference in maintenance between an OEM chain and Gold chain?
Old 02-22-2009, 02:01 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Nope...
Old 02-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Tweety
Nope...
Thanks...I think we're done here.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:58 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
hahahaha

check the chain for kinks. if it was that dirty the previous owner obviously didn't take care of it and you might find it to be kinked and in need of replacement.

i just bought a did x2 super street gold chain. i haven't installed it yet. i chose gold because it shows dirt better and it's easier to determine if a cleaning is needed.

good lube is a must also. over the years i have tried many different lubes and have found "liquid performance" to be the best by a long shot. it actually attracts less dirt and i don't have to clean the chain as often.

good luck!
Old 02-22-2009, 04:02 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by killer5280
I agree. Gas is very, very, very volatile and should only be used as a motor fuel. There are much better and safer solvents.
Yep. All you hillbillies should avoid using gasoline as a solvent. Better you spend your time mastering stand up 2nd gear wheelies at 60 mph like all the "safety conscious" individual on the Superhawk Forum!