Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

SP1 swingarm swap ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Squid

WAYNEHAMMER is on a distinguished road
SP1 swingarm swap ?'s

I searched for about a half hour on here and only seemed to find SP2 swaps. Maybe I missed the threads I'm looking for. Can someone direct me to the correct link?

Or has anyone done an SP1 swingarm swap on here with pics? I have the swingarm, the axle and adjusters and brake caliper and bracket. Just wondering if it is mandatory to use the rc wheel because I won't be able to buy one for a Lil while.

I can cut and weld all the linkage but wa wondering if anyone had tricks or tips on this?
Old 03-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
The SP1 swingarm is a bit more work than the SP2 to swap... I have done both, so I know...

The pivot axle on the SP2 is the same as the VTR at 20mm, so it slides right in... The SP1 has a 25mm pivot axle, so you need to either sleave it, or swap the bearings for it too fit... As for welding the linkage, you really don't need to weld, you can make parts to fit without it... That info is easy to find in the threads about the SP2 swing... Posted by me, makes it easier/less to read...

The wheel axle on the SP1/SP2 is 25mm and the VTR is 20mm, so you can't use the stock wheel... However, instead of spending stupid money on an SP wheel, you can buy a CBR wheel for much less... A CBR600RR wheel is 5.5" wide, like the VTR wheel, so it changes the feel the least, but 929/954/1000RR wheels at 6" works just as good...

One thing you really will need however, is an aftermarket shock... Using the stock VTR shock with any SP swing is stupid... It will feel awful, since you have changed the leverage, so it's even worse than as stock... If it's height adjustable, it's a very good thing, but not absolutely neccesary...
Old 03-06-2012, 05:30 PM
Squid

WAYNEHAMMER is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
The SP1 swingarm is a bit more work than the SP2 to swap... I have done both, so I know...

The pivot axle on the SP2 is the same as the VTR at 20mm, so it slides right in... The SP1 has a 25mm pivot axle, so you need to either sleave it, or swap the bearings for it too fit... As for welding the linkage, you really don't need to weld, you can make parts to fit without it... That info is easy to find in the threads about the SP2 swing... Posted by me, makes it easier/less to read...

The wheel axle on the SP1/SP2 is 25mm and the VTR is 20mm, so you can't use the stock wheel... However, instead of spending stupid money on an SP wheel, you can buy a CBR wheel for much less... A CBR600RR wheel is 5.5" wide, like the VTR wheel, so it changes the feel the least, but 929/954/1000RR wheels at 6" works just as good...

One thing you really will need however, is an aftermarket shock... Using the stock VTR shock with any SP swing is stupid... It will feel awful, since you have changed the leverage, so it's even worse than as stock... If it's height adjustable, it's a very good thing, but not absolutely neccesary...
I have a FOX TC on the back right now. Thanks for the help and info.