Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 01:55 PM
Back Marker

offroad_rider2008 is on a distinguished road
starting issues

ok guys, its been a lil while since ive been on here, and I apologize for my absence, I have just finished replacing the frame on my 02 SH everything went well, until i went to start it, now its acting as if its not getting gas, I went thru all the lines and such around the petcock made sure that they were in proper places, it will run like crap for just a few seconds but as soon as i act as if im going to twist the throttle it dies, any ideas will be greatly appreciated
Old 02-24-2012, 02:07 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
I'm sure you checked, but is the petcock in the on position? You sure you put the small vaccuum hose on the back of the petcock and not the bottom? Have gas in the tank? They seem like no brainers, but I've forgotten all of those at one point or another.

If everything is hooked up right, is check to make sure you have vacuum at the small line.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Back Marker

just a quick note, I did hit the search button several times nuthin new would pop up, so i came to you guys, thank you
Old 02-24-2012, 02:13 PM
Back Marker

yes sir, but thank you , full tank of gas with sea foam in it, petcock in on position, vacuum lines on right spots, left bottom spot empty, no liner attached. im so confused at this moment
Old 02-24-2012, 03:46 PM
aja
SuperSport

It could be a carb problem. Try cleaning them first. If you're getting gas and the carbs function as normal then next step is spark. Check your coils, plugs, and plug wires. I had a rough idle and snugged up the coil mount bolts and it solved the problem.

Also check your air filter. Try starting it with no filter in place and see what that does.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:13 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Pop the gas cap open and try. Could be vent issue.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:22 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
When I just did my motor swap I screwed up the vacuum on the petcock since honda put a decoy nipple on there to confuse the allied forces.

will it start with starting fluid? That will narrow it down. Also check the spark plug wires, they can be forgotten too.,
Old 02-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Back Marker

i checked the vacuum lines several times, opened the tank cap, removed air cleaner top, it will run with starting fluid and or gas poured directly into top of carbs, i am thinking it might be the choke not right somehow but not sure about that route, thank you guys again for the help so far
Old 02-24-2012, 05:45 PM
aja
SuperSport

Ya I agree with moore, the tank being too full can sometimes create a vapor lock.

So far we know it starts and runs rough, so it does have spark and is getting some fuel and air.

Start with the basics. For an engine to run you need fuel, spark, and air.

First take off one fuel line at a time from the petcock to make sure it is functioning correctly and that gas freely flows. Leave the vacuum line attached and bump the starter to check for fuel flow (catch it in a container so it doesn't run everywhere).

Since it does start that means there is spark. Check the wires to make sure they are seated correctly, then tighten up all bolts on each coil (the rear is under the right side tail fairing, the front is on the left side under the front fairing)

Air shouldn't be a problem unless you made any changes to your air box or filter.

If all of those check out fine, its most likely an internal carb problem. Try spraying some carb cleaner into the slides while it is running and see if that helps, but I would suggest a thorough dismantle and cleaning.

After you've done all those let us know what you find and we can go from there. It would be helpful to know of any engine related changes you made also. What was the reason for swapping the frame?
Old 02-24-2012, 05:46 PM
aja
SuperSport

Just saw your last post, it sounds like a petcock problem. Check it how I described above, you could have a bad diaphragm.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:48 PM
Back Marker

thanks once again aja, I will check the petcock agian, the reason for frame swap was because there were some blemishes i wanted to get rid of, there were no isssues with the way the bike ran before, except at a smooth roll on the throttle I would get a slight hic up around 3000rpm, other than that a very unique bike to ride, I gave my son my 04 gsxr1000 because Id rather be on my superhawk
Old 02-24-2012, 08:41 PM
MotoGP

So the choke cables have a tendancy to break the plastic elbow where they join the carbs. Once broken they can push/pull the plungers out of were they should be so yeah that could be it.

Have you checked if fuel flows when vacuum is applied to the petcock? Make sure it really dumps when it gets vacuum. Seems unlikely that both carbs are getting ample fuel but not atomizing any.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:08 PM
Back Marker

not sure on what hoses to look for fuel to come out of, I have read and re-read everything I can find and still no luck, I tried again this afternoon and she tried very hard to stay running for like 30 sec. after I poured some fuel directly into each carb, I took air box completely off today to get better look at everything
Old 02-29-2012, 06:36 PM
MotoGP

So the petcock under the back of the tank is a vacuum actuated valve.

The 2 larger outlets (where the thicker black tubes go to the carbs). The vacuum nipple is the thinner one and comes off of the rear carb to create suction to open the valve. If you put a piece of tubing on that nipple and suck on it (or put a mityvac on it) gas should flow freely out of the 2 thick outlets.

No gas will go in your mouth since its only the vacuum to open the valve. So when you turn the bike over it creates that vacuum to flow fuel. Like I mentioned its unlikely the fuel is flowing right if niether carb is working.

The bike will run on one cylender if needed. Hope this helps
Old 03-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Back Marker

It sure does joe, I sure appreciate the help from all you guys, now hopefully we will have 1 more bad a** bike rollin through the streets of my small town
Old 03-01-2012, 10:09 AM
Back Marker

well, I just tried the vacuum hose to get the fuel to flow but when i "sucked on the small vacuum line the hooks up at bottom of tank off to the left of fuel ****, now I feel real uncomfortable using " sucking " and " petcock" in the same paragraph, but whatever it takes to get my baby back, right?
Old 03-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Back Marker

my bad , I just re-read joes suggestion, and I misunderstood, I think I'm on track now, keep your fingers crossed
Old 03-01-2012, 10:30 AM
MotoGP

Think of yourself as a paramedic doing m2m on a beautiful girl.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:41 AM
aja
SuperSport

You should be sucking on a line attached to the back of the petcock, not the vent tube attached to the tank. Get a piece of aquarium hose and use that to check for a correctly operating petcock, hell even a straw may work.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Back Marker

well, I am truely sorry for my ignorance, I'll just say that right now, but after re-reading and then going outside and then re-reading joes suggestion several times, I'm still confused, now I wish I had pics to show you all where I'm not catching on, there are 3 tubes that attach to petcock and a skinny hose( vacuum line off rear carb. I'm guessing) that attaches to a nipple on bottom of tank, just left of petcock, the 2 fat lines are on each side of petcock and a skinny tube with some kind of built in filter, that attaches at the rear of petcock, if i sucked on the skinny tube that is attached to the rear carb. I get fuel, both fat tubes are drain tubes right? and the skinny tube is the fuel line if it's attached on the back side of petcock, right?
Old 03-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Back Marker

ok thank you again guys, I promise that I am learning as I go, lol
Old 03-01-2012, 11:00 AM
MotoGP

Ok so the 2 large tubes need to be disconnected from the tank so you can see if fuel flows freely out of them when you suck on vacuum line. (so also disconnect the skinny tube from the petcock and attach a tube to suck on) When you do, fuel should gush out the 2 large outlets so have a pan under them.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Back Marker

well, I reversed the lines I thought I had backwards ( the skinny tube that attached to the tank, and the skinny tube attached to back of petcock) but it wouldnt even start at all that way, when put them back the way they were, it would run for about 15-20 sec.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:25 AM
MotoGP

Are you making eye contact?
Old 03-01-2012, 11:26 AM
MotoGP

Just to make sure, your lines hooked up like this?

Front
Name:  DSC03676.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  29.5 KB

Rear
Name:  DSC03677.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  32.8 KB

The two fuel lines and the skinny petcock line are the important ones.

(images jacked from another thread)
Old 03-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Back Marker

ok well here i am, just messed with it again, and after trying to suck on petcock to open valve for fuel to run out, figured out petcock was off, but...... after turning it on and hooking lines back up, fuel will just run full stream out of lines running out bottom of bike, what did i do wrong this time?
Old 03-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Superstock

Bandit400man is on a distinguished road
Two words for ya: starting fluid. Works wonders an may be just what you need to get er to fire...after I rebuilt my bandit, that was the only thing that worked.... Just don't use to much lol It's explosive...spray it right into the air box.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Back Marker

mine dont have that 4th hose on the bottom of tank
Old 03-01-2012, 12:05 PM
aja
SuperSport

The line in the second picture Moore posted is the one you should be sucking on (not the line itself, but the nipple it attaches to. The 2 big lines in the first picture are where the fuel comes out (again not the lines, but the nipples they attach to)

The line that hooks up to the back of the petcock runs along the left side of the frame, make sure that is the one hooked up to that part. See if turning the petcock valve to off changes anything.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:20 PM
aja
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Bandit400man
Two words for ya: starting fluid. Works wonders an may be just what you need to get er to fire...after I rebuilt my bandit, that was the only thing that worked.... Just don't use to much lol It's explosive...spray it right into the air box.
He doesn't have a problem with it starting, he has a problem with it staying running.

The 4th hose you don't have is a drain hose.

Quick Reply: starting issues