Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Is something wrong with my bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Squid

BuckeyeGuy is on a distinguished road
Is something wrong with my bike?

Hey everyone. I just bought a 98 superhawk with 21,000 miles, clean title. The previous owner had some maintenance records for the past 5yrs showing fluids were changed every year, and the r/r had been changed about 5yrs ago. Other than that, I was told the bike is mechanically sound. I took it for about 30 miles test drive and didnt notice andy problems, other than the bike stalled at idle because it was only idling around 900rpms.

So I adjusted the idle to 1200, changed the oil and filter, checked the fluids etc. Took it out for a ride today and notice that while idling, the rpms tend to jump from about 1000-1500, and while riding the bike stalled while going about 50, and below 4000rpms i didnt have great throttle response and it almost seemed like it wanted to die. Shortly after, the fuel light came on after ONLY 47 miles from my last fill up.

What could be wrong? Theres no way that the bike needs gas after only 47 miles! Could a carb issue be going on?
Old 05-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Back Marker

nykuryu is on a distinguished road
well check your plugs to see if they are fouled with gas. next you may wanna check the floats in the bowls. i believe if they crack and no longer float the needles are open all the way letting in a bunch gas. is it hard starting? next you probably wanna get a carb sync. may help with the idle. any mods?
Old 05-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Squid

BuckeyeGuy is on a distinguished road
No problems starting, just use a little choke. The only mod i know of is that it has Jardine RT-One pipes. The previous owner told me the carbs were synched when the pipes were installed
Old 05-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Squid

sevenchaos is on a distinguished road
when i bought my bike i had a rough idle too, sometimes the bike would idle fine, then sometimes just from 1100 to 1500. i plan on getting the carbs synced to see if that will fix the problem. my bike also stalled twice while sitting at a light, but i think these bikes are known to stall every once in a while
Old 05-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BuckeyeGuy
So I adjusted the idle to 1200, changed the oil and filter, checked the fluids etc. Took it out for a ride today and notice that while idling, the rpms tend to jump from about 1000-1500, and while riding the bike stalled while going about 50, and below 4000rpms i didnt have great throttle response and it almost seemed like it wanted to die. Shortly after, the fuel light came on after ONLY 47 miles from my last fill up.

What could be wrong? Theres no way that the bike needs gas after only 47 miles! Could a carb issue be going on?
Check for PVLIR, then clean the carbs.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:34 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
If it has had little use the pilot jets can get clogged and will give a hanging idle at times. Does it hang up over 1500 andyouhave to wait for it to drop? If it otherwise has good response in midrange and pulls hard to redline I was test for an airleak and if none pull the carbs and check choke chokes are working ok and clean the low speed circuit. Will giveyou advance to see what jetting is in there and remove pair system and learn about the bike too. Good luck.