Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

SMELL GAS IS THIS NORMAL?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Squid

Black Hawk is on a distinguished road
SMELL GAS IS THIS NORMAL?

Question? With slip on exhausts do you have to do any mods for the carb? Because I recently put on 2Bros CF slip on exhausts for my SH and while riding I can smell some gas when at a light or come to a stop. Is this normal?
Old 10-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
Never noticed anything while riding, but I can smell it pretty good when I park it back in the garage.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:19 AM
Squid

I will ride a couple of days and see if there still a gas smell while riding. The CF exhaust are new so maybe thats the reason...............open for more insight..
Old 10-12-2008, 10:38 PM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
Most exhaust mods require the carbs or injector mixture to be RICHENED.
So if you smell gas (which may not be gas at all actually, but instead be the packing inside the new exhaust ) for more than a week of riding ... you may have a leaky float valve or one thats out of adjustment. Especially if someones previously been in the carbs.
If its got an injected motor (RC-51), then the O2 sensor can be reading a lean condition to the computer and actually causing the injectors to run rich, also causing a gas smell .
A buddy of mine has an RC-51 motor in his Hawk, and had all kinds of issues with injector timing when he changed his exhaust around.
It really depends on if its a carb model or if its the RC-51 style injected model engine.

Last edited by Circuit_Burner; 10-12-2008 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Az/Texas Rider
Back Marker

cal2az is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Duck007
Never noticed anything while riding, but I can smell it pretty good when I park it back in the garage.
I get the same smell after riding and parking in the garage.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:27 AM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
I do NOT get a fuel smell when riding my hawk, aside from the one time I put the stock air filter back in. Then I had an immediate rich exhaust smell while moving less than 20 mph. The K&N went back in and the smell evaporated. As far as parking in a garage, I never park in a completely enclosed area so I cannot vouch for that. I suppose the tank vent line will allow some fuel vapor to escape.
Fuel smell usually indicates that the engine is receiving more gas than it can burn, or that you simply have a fuel leak.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:00 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Circuit_Burner
A buddy of mine has an RC-51 motor in his Hawk, and had all kinds of issues with injector timing when he changed his exhaust around.
It really depends on if its a carb model or if its the RC-51 style injected model engine.
More info please. I'm going to go a step further and call bullshit just to get you to prove it. Haven't seen this done yet anywhere. Sorry I just had a kid tell me the other day his buddies R6 beats 1000's and could go over 200 mph with it's "fully built" motor (full exhaust now means fully built lol).
Old 10-14-2008, 09:59 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
is it possible that the cause could be simpler than all this. I know I rev my engine just as I turn off the ignition. I would therefore assume that some unburned gas is gonna make it to the pipes. whether or not you rev your engine, could this be the same phenomenon? you kill the motor, it does a half rotation, and throws some unburned gas into our (commonly used) highmount pipes, and you smell the gas. either way better to be running a little too rich than too lean.

Last edited by swordfish; 10-15-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Squid

Thanks for all the insight I will keep you all posted after one week of riding.