Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Single sided swingarm question

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 09:58 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Single sided swingarm question

So this is a call out to anyone else who has this conversion. I bought what may be the original one I think Brian Light did. I bought it from Eric (Leeds I think) in VA.

Anyway I am having stuctural issues with the built linkage on it & was hoping someone could send me a pic of the setup that they have. My issue is that the place where the hawk has a stout dogbone link, this has a tubular aluminum piece that is elongating at the bottom.

I have a bike builder/mechanic friend who is going to fab me up a piece to solve the problem but can anyone who is riding an SSS modded bike send me a pic of what you are running?

Another side note is that with the sss, the shock needs to be like 1 1/4 inches longer to get geometry that will make the bike handle the way it should. (or at all for that matter.

Any help would be.....helpful. Thanks guys.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:37 AM
MotoGP

Man, I knew I was unique but am I the lone soldier? When I do the rebuild I was thinking of putting together some more link bones to sell as kits to do the conversion.

Someone else has to have this done......
Old 06-11-2011, 09:52 AM
MotoGP

Uh.....bump?
Old 06-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Jack of all Master of non
Superstock

3amta3 is on a distinguished road
not the bike for a single sided swing arm.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:03 PM
Superstock

102dals is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd do a search. Brian actually showed up on Eric's sale thread a while back. I'm going to do this, and have acquired most of the parts already. I need my machinist (brother) to do the dogbone for me, but I don't think I have the "schematic" for it anymore.
I'll look, and if I find it, send it to you via PM.
BTW, this is the perfect bike for a single sided arm...Honda should've put one on from the factory.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:57 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 102dals
BTW, this is the perfect bike for a single sided arm...Honda should've put one on from the factory.
The guy above you is just bitter, because he has posted on here several times that he really, really wants a lengthened swing arm and quite a few people on this forum are against it and they back it up with a solid reason why he shouldn't do it. He just doesn't understand, so he's going to be against everything else. Reminds me of my little 4 year old nephew.

I agree with you though. The bike looks absolutely fantastic with a SSSA. I want to do it as well, but I'm going to wait until next year when I have more time to play with the bike.