Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Single sided swingarm - a primer

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 06:52 AM
Squid

uberhawk
Single sided swingarm - a primer

Brian Light's primer on how to put a SSS on a VTR.

Brian Light - blight_93908@AT@yahoo.com>

To proceed, you'll need to buy some parts (eBay is a good source, or a local bike wrecker) i.e., a complete 1998 or later VFR800 single-sided swingarm, (the 750 arm will NOT work), arm-axle and nut w/ spacers, drive-hub and cush-drive, sprocket, disc, caliper, wheel, lugs, brake line, and shock linkage plates with bolts. Make SURE the bike was not rear-ended, the rims are true, and the swingarm arm is not cracked or tweaked in any way. That could lead to disaster, so be careful please. If you have to, pay more for a pristine setup...it will save you a lot of pain and suffering further on down the road.

The rear wheel I'm using is a stock '98 VFR wheel, but with a "hub cap"
from a Canadian VFR accessory house...it covers the bolts and looks good
IMHO! I like the squared-off spoke shoulders. There are some VFR wheels out
there that are narrower and don't look as good as this one does (heavily-radiused, curved spokes) I also like the 1991-1993 wheel with the 8 spokes. It's all a matter of taste, cost, and availability really.

The swing-arm swap alone is fairly easy, a bolt-on affair. BUT, there are 5 other (major) modifications required:

1) New rear shock triangular linkage plates (2) must be fabricated to clear the swingarm. (my drawing is available.)

2) A new 'dogbone' connecting-rod must be fabricated to connect the shock linkage lower mount plates to the engine-mounting.

3) The rear (OEM or aftermarket) shock must be moved 1.75" to the left, putting it (unfortunately) directly in the rear header path.

4) The exhaust headers must be modified heavily to clear the new rear shock
location. New headers need to be built generally.

5) Brake line from the stock VTR master cylinder to the VFR caliper must be routed and secured, and second (linked-brake) connection blocked off.

6) Install a longer chain...the awingarm adds about 1.5" to your wheelbase.

7) Go for a nice long ride and look cool!!!!

While the first 3 items were no big deal, the fabrication of a new exhaust system is indeed a LOT of work. I fabricated mine myself, a two into one left-side cannister affair that allowed full, unobstructed view of the rear wheel from the right side. Brake line hookup is relatively easy. Another SSS convert (Daz) ran a braided line through the swingarm. It looks really nice and I may do it myself.

I can provide photos of various steps in my conversion if you would like.
Keep reminding me, as I may forget to reply if I'm busy, which is most of the time unfortunately.

Cheers,

BKL

http://www.runlevelzero.net/greg/gal...ns&id=BKL_VTR3

http://www.runlevelzero.net/greg/gal...id=underseat_4

http://www.runlevelzero.net/greg/gal...ns&id=BKL_VTR2

http://www.runlevelzero.net/greg/gal...ns&id=BKL_VTR4
Old 06-30-2004, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator
Back Marker

mamisano is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice job, post some picks and I will put it up in the Technical Database for all to see!
Old 06-30-2004, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator
Back Marker

mamisano is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh yeah, pics can be put in the new Photo Album via the link at the top of the page.