Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Sidestand Switch Rain Short Out

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 08:03 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Sidestand Switch Rain Short Out

This happenned to me at least 5 years ago and again yesterday. In a moderate-to-heavy rain, the spray from the road really floods the sidestand pivot area and leaks into where the wires go into the sidestand switch and shorts it; fooling the CPU into thinking the trany is in gear with the sidestand down. Yesterday (near the end of a 700 mile ride) it happened as I was in the middle of a 2-lane bridge in a downpour. Scary to say the least. While stopped, I repeatedly worked the sidestand to get it running but it continued to happen intermittently even after spraying it with oil. I finally stopped at a Farm & Fleet just before they closed, and bought some water displacing lube and dielectric grease. I removed the switch and the grease I had previously packed in the backside was still there, leading me to believe the water was getting down inside where the wires enter at the top of the switch. I sprayed with the lube to displace the water and packed where the wires enter with dielectric grease and was on my way. Of course the sky cleared and my on-road fix was never tested. I plan to de-grease where the wires enter and pack in some RTV silicone, and fashion and install a "rain boot".

Anyone else had this happen? I'm sure Honda uses the same basic switch on other models.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:50 AM
SuperBike

The Fix is in

I'm surprised no one else at least commented let alone also have had this problem. Maybe all you other "ChickenHawkers" (a term I don't like but that was covered in another thread) really are chickens and don't ride in the rain.

Anyway, I removed & throughly cleaned the sidestand switch assembly; after letting the 91% iso alky dry, I worked RTV silicone into where the wires go down into the switch and sealed the sides; allowed the silicone to dry, and then made a rainboot out of 50mmlong piece of 21~28mm butyl road bicycle inner tube, sliding it down over to the bottom of the anti-rotation peg slot and snugged a mini ziptie down slightly above, at the top of the boot Icoated the ID with tube patch cement, let it dry and then doubled-over the tube to seal the top and snugged aother mini ziptie down; then wrapped some really sticky electrical tape over the top of the rain boot as a belt and suspenders.

If it shorts out again, I'm removing the dam assembly and jumpering it under the saddle; and will take my chances of a rolling right tipover if I forget to put the sidestand up.

BTW, the blate plate with a bolt thru it behind the shifter rod and above-left of the SS SW is the bottom left mounting plate for my 3-point mount case guards; so don't get confused.
Attached Thumbnails Sidestand Switch Rain Short Out-vtr-ss-sw.jpg   Sidestand Switch Rain Short Out-vtr-ss-sw-1.jpg  

Last edited by skokievtr; 06-28-2008 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:47 AM
Uhhhhh..huh.huh..Member..
Superstock

Springbubba is on a distinguished road
Ive ridden in the rain a couple of times on my commute. Not in a major downpour..yet. Yours is another in a long line of experiences I will learn from before having to do it myself.

Thanks for the write up. Ill get it done one of these days.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:20 AM
Squid

netav8tor is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the heads up on this problem. Your fix looks very professional. This should save a lot of people from being stranded. I think this is a must do for all Honda owners.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
The thing that baffles me is that I have continously gotten myself and my 11 year old bike throughoutly drenched and have never had this happen to me...

And looking at mine, it already has a small rubber boot on it stamped with a Honda logo...

Last edited by Tweety; 06-28-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:01 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Tweety
The thing that baffles me is that I have continously gotten myself and my 11 year old bike throughoutly drenched and have never had this happen to me...

And looking at mine, it already has a small rubber boot on it stamped with a Honda logo...
What year & production number is yours? Mine's a 98 made in 3/97 in the 300's or so. Can you take a decent shot of the switch & boot and post it? Mine I do not believe ever had one unless the dealer replaced it b4 I got it.

Honda does not show one? http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/...74/Group/STAND

Last edited by skokievtr; 06-28-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Shredding Asphalt
Superstock

MisfitToy is on a distinguished road
southern california doesnt get much rain
Old 06-28-2008, 12:11 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Dunno about the production no... never bothered to look... But it's a 97 made early 97 or possibly late 96... first registered 4/97 in Sweden...

I'm going to do some maintainance monday... So I'll get some pic's of it then...
Old 06-28-2008, 12:14 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by netav8tor
Thanks for the heads up on this problem. Your fix looks very professional. This should save a lot of people from being stranded. I think this is a must do for all Honda owners.
Thanks. Bikes are easy, jets & rockets not so easy but once you learn the later, sano mods on the former are done to the same standards.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:53 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
I've ridden mine in pounding rain on many occasions with no issues. Did your S light on the dash come on? I'm assuming it did, that would make it easy to diagnose. If it ever happened to me I'm sure what I would do - I would short the wires going to it permanently. That way it would never happen again!
Old 06-28-2008, 01:13 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by skokievtr
If it shorts out again, I'm removing the dam assembly and jumpering it under the saddle; and will take my chances of a rolling right tipover if I forget to put the sidestand up.
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
I've ridden mine in pounding rain on many occasions with no issues. Did your S light on the dash come on? I'm assuming it did, that would make it easy to diagnose. If it ever happened to me I'm sure what I would do - I would short the wires going to it permanently. That way it would never happen again!
I really was not cognicent of the light coming on when it died but I don't think so. Looking at the switch diagram, I think it can short without the light coming on; the light may be position sensitive. When I played with the stand, it started. It could have been the front spart plug wire shorting but it still would have run on the rear cylinder, so I'm pretty sure it was the SS switch. I guess I'll eventually find out.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:21 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by skokievtr
I really was not cognicent of the light coming on when it died but I don't think so. Looking at the switch diagram, I think it can short without the light coming on; the light may be position sensitive. When I played with the stand, it started. It could have been the front spart plug wire shorting but it still would have run on the rear cylinder, so I'm pretty sure it was the SS switch. I guess I'll eventually find out.
It's a simple switch, right? I would think that the same signal the CDI sees is what operates the light, but I guess that was my concern. I'd like to see something that would make it obvious where the problem is coming from. I understand that the light was not at the top of your prorities at the time!
Old 06-28-2008, 02:23 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
This has happened to me and luckily I was not far from home. It would pop on - pop off uncontrollably and I was afraid I was going to lose the rear end. We can have spotty but intense showers here and this one occured in full sun but just pounded the highway for about a half mile. Yeah, I was to busy to do diagnostics at the time so I don't know if the light was going on and off either. I suppose you could test this with a trigger sprayer with bike on a stand. I appreciate the post because it scared the **** out me and I watch the skies like a hawk since. I have a mechanic and a good one. You just might have saved me some coin!

Last edited by nuhawk; 06-28-2008 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:08 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
It's a simple switch, right? I would think that the same signal the CDI sees is what operates the light, but I guess that was my concern. I'd like to see something that would make it obvious where the problem is coming from. I understand that the light was not at the top of your prorities at the time!
I have to assume (u know how to spell it) the light went on. But as I recounted, the first time (this last ride it occurred) it happened on a long 2 lane bridge in a driving rain leading a pack of 7 other riders. The other times that day, again I was in the lead and I was very concerned about getting taken out from behind. My visor was not clear and I was focused on where to pull over while watching my mirrors, and the stand light was not in my direct field of vision. I'm confident the switch was the problem and my fix is the solution. The hardest part is removing the switch cable so the inner tube "boot" can be slide over the plug and down the cable. The plug connects in the gaggle of connections in the clear rubber cover under the seat immediately behind the tank. You have to clean where the wires go into the switch very well (chain oil messes the switch) so that the silicone can be worked into and over the rubber reinforcing section at the top of the plastic body cap. The inner tube must slide down over the hard plastic portion into the "U" groove where the anti-rotation pin bears, as is decinerable in my pics. I'm sorry I did not photograph how I glued, folded and zip-tied the top of the boot, which I wrapped with electrical tape for a double seal. The lower zip tie is visible in my pics.

Last edited by skokievtr; 06-28-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:17 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
My bike used to predictably die in the rain but the kick stand switch wasn't the culprit, it was the tank vent tube that needed rerouting.