Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Shock choice...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Back Marker

Kelevra is on a distinguished road
Shock choice...

Back in 98, I installed a new Fox Twin-Clicker on my new VTR. For my second VTR, I'd also like to install an aftermkt shock, but not one that is too pricey, any ideas? I just want to inprove the over-all handling as I plan to change out the front end first.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:43 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Your only real choice for not too pricey is a Jamie Daugherty F4/F4i conversion special, the price of that depends on what all you have him do. http://www.daughertymotorsports.com/
Old 06-03-2009, 04:42 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
There is also a Gold Valve kit to consider but Jamie`s option also gets you a remote reservoir and (low-speed) compression adjustability, making it the better option IMO
Old 06-04-2009, 09:41 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Thanks fellas!

Kelevra - I'm sure there is something I can do for you. Feel free to PM me or call (260)710-4049 and we can discuss options.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Squid

vtrktm is on a distinguished road
After market shock

I guess it depends on what pricey is. A Penske twin clicker is the best value in my opinion and can be converted to a 3-way later on if you wish. They are super easy to rebuild yourself as well. Good luck!
Old 06-04-2009, 01:19 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
I'm pretty happy with my Works Performance shock. The one I bought has preload, rebound, compression and a half inch height adjustment (at the shock). Called the 4-way Ultra Sport. http://www.worksperformance.com/html/street.html
Looks like the current price is $840 excluding shipping.
Attached Thumbnails Shock choice...-shock.jpg  
Old 06-04-2009, 06:39 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by vtrktm
I guess it depends on what pricey is. A Penske twin clicker is the best value in my opinion and can be converted to a 3-way later on if you wish. They are super easy to rebuild yourself as well. Good luck!
Originally Posted by Gregw
I'm pretty happy with my Works Performance shock. The one I bought has preload, rebound, compression and a half inch height adjustment (at the shock). Called the 4-way Ultra Sport. http://www.worksperformance.com/html/street.html
Looks like the current price is $840 excluding shipping.

Either of those are going to run you $800+. Modifying a CBR shock can get you the same performance (better than the Works, in my experience) for less than half the price. Nothing against either of those shocks, I've just found that it's a lot cheaper to modify a stock shock. If properly setup (Works are usually not setup correctly out of the box), the performance is on par with a Penske and even some Ohlins shocks. Again, these are just my personal experiences.

Last edited by JamieDaugherty; 06-04-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Back Marker

Ya, I just paid 3K for a great bike, 0 interest in spending 800 for a rear shock, lolZ!
I don't plan on racing it, hehe, I just want it to handle a tad better ie like my first VTR did with the Fox -Twin Clicker installed, and race tech front end.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
ouch! 800 bones.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:58 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Kelevra
Ya, I just paid 3K for a great bike, 0 interest in spending 800 for a rear shock, lolZ!
I don't plan on racing it, hehe, I just want it to handle a tad better ie like my first VTR did with the Fox -Twin Clicker installed, and race tech front end.

I would think that with a shock and fork work it would handle more than a 'tad' better! Even so, to address both ends is going to run you somewhere around $500-600. Well worth it in my opinion, but I understand that it doesn't fit everyone's budget. That's why I've tried to find ways to get equivalent performance without having to spend the money on an aftermarket shock.

Last edited by JamieDaugherty; 06-05-2009 at 04:08 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:49 AM
Back Marker

Yes, I was understating, just a tad, haha. I have no problem with 5-600 for both ends. I've bought Penske shocks in the past for race bikes, and could justify that back then. Now I just want this VTR to handle better.
So tell me please, what do you do with regard to the rear shock? I'm sure others are interested as well. Thanks Jamie!
Jordan
Old 06-05-2009, 05:14 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Don't mean to be a dick but do a search, there is already a lengthy thread which discusses this very issue at length.

cheers
Old 06-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by mikstr
Don't mean to be a dick but do a search, there is already a lengthy thread which discusses this very issue at length.

cheers
No worries bro, I did a search and didn't find exactly what I wanted, but Jamie chiming in was helpful as I'm sure there are others looking to do the same..
Old 06-05-2009, 09:04 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=18790

The search here can be a bit frustrating.. I searched for Jamie and F4i to find that.

In Reaper's pics you can see the billet extension that Jamie added.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:14 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by lazn
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=18790

The search here can be a bit frustrating.. I searched for Jamie and F4i to find that.

In Reaper's pics you can see the billet extension that Jamie added.

That link shows some good stuff. I've been doing shock conversions like this for several years now. I can take a CBR600F4 shock and convert it to fit the VTR. The total for the conversion and new spring matched to your weight (required) is $250. I can also add a RaceTech Gold Valve to the shock for another $175. For $425 you can get performance equal to or better than a baseline aftermarket shock.

Gold Valve treatment on the forks is $195, in case you are interested. That includes new compression valves, reshimming of the rebound valves and damping rod polishing. If you wanted new springs in the forks that would be $80.

As you already know, with this work done you can really extract a lot more performance from the VTR.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:10 AM
Back Marker

Solid info Jamie, much appreciated, I will prolly go with the rear shock conversion. I'm currently looking at a CBR1K front end from a friend.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:21 AM
SuperBike

No problem. I converted a CBR600F3 shock to fit the VTR this weekend. I'll post some pictures of that (pretty much the same) when I get a chance.