General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

IF YOU HAD THE CHOICE

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:22 PM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
IF YOU HAD THE CHOICE

So I'm already kind of tired and frustrated with the carbs and the "scary" (if you've had failure, you'll understand) noises that seem to come and go with the superhawk. I hate feeling paranoid. So here's a thought. If I could trade + cash for a good condition RC51, should I? How many of you would give up your hawk for an RC51 in a minute?
Old 07-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
Only if I was gonna ride it at the track - and I have a CBR for that already.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:56 PM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
Yeah, that RC is going to be a punishing ride anywhere but the track. Just not a livable day-to-day bike for me, so I'd not do it. With the full exhaust on mine SH and all of the mechanical noises of the VTR, (though none of them scary really, though I'll admit to paranoia while waiting for my APE CCT's a few years back) I agree, it can get a bit tiresome on the ears. Really though, with a decent set of earplugs (I won't do any more than 25mi without em anyway) or a good set of sealing in-ear earbuds, it's no biggie. Sometimes I miss having a stealthy bike... Never enough to put the stock exhaust back on though.
-R
Old 07-22-2010, 04:00 AM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
If you like the SH because it's a great road bike, this would be a bad trade. But if you like the SH because it's a sporting twin, you might be ok. It really depends on why you ride. It might make sense to trade down to a moped for you, in your circumstances. Only you can know.

I know what it's like to lose that feeling on confidence you had in a bike. You COULD bring it in to a shop and tell them to go through it. If the only thing preventing you from sticking with the SH is that feeling that you might hear a big pop noise, I'd just get a good wrench to look it over.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:05 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
how old is it how many miles?

im buying my project back from my brother in law.

when i was riding it before the mods i whipped her but good.

am i paranoid about it?....no i took care of it also.
no probs with carbs or tensioners.
and i ran it hard along with bikes like gsxr 1000's
zx11's and hyabusas.
if you are paranoid about it ,it isnt the bike for you.
oh by the way,the rc makes a whole bunch of other sounds it self.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:33 AM
Squid

2Smoker is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by hawxter996
im buying my project back from my brother in law.

That's the best news i've read on this forum to date!!
Old 07-22-2010, 05:35 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
I don't think I'd ever give up my hawk, its powerful, comfy, loud and sexy. RC's lack in 1 of those categories, guess?
Old 07-22-2010, 06:31 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
i would lean towards a trade. it's not and end all though... it would need some mods too.

i would love the motor though.

tim
Old 07-22-2010, 01:43 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
If you are going to trade the SH for a RC on the reason of scary noises alone, go listen to that RC first... Trust me, it's no any more confidence inspiring that regard... You have chain driven cams that makes noise, just an example...
Old 07-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Superstock

pwshadow is on a distinguished road
Not an rc but a cbr1krr maybe
Old 07-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Superstock

The RC just isnt enough of a speed increase in comparison for the comfort you lose.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Back Marker

Red_Liner740 is on a distinguished road
forget the rc51, i'd go with a Z1000....
Old 07-22-2010, 02:40 PM
Superstock

If I had the money I would be glad to sacrifice some comfort for that Duc 1198
Old 07-22-2010, 07:11 PM
Bytes
Back Marker

Bytes is on a distinguished road
My buddy has an RC51 and I really do like riding it. It is a fun bike, but IMHO it doesn't compare the the SH as far as an all around great bike. I commute on the SH, take slow rides to take in the scenery, take fast canyon runs, and have done a couple of fairly long trips on it. The hawk does all of those pretty darn well. I changed my front end springs out a week or so ago which I thought was a major improvement. Other than that my bike is completely stock. I don't want to change the pipes because I hate dicking with carbs. Carbs are pretty much yesteryear technology. I really wish they would have upgraded the hawk to FI in the later years. Oh, now to your question. No way. RC is way too track oriented to be enjoyable for the other reasons I like to ride. If you want more of a race bike, I would check out the newer 1000cc models, name your brand.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:45 PM
Back Marker

Red_Liner740 is on a distinguished road
just so u guys know the new cbr1000rr has a very easy going riding position. i sat on one at a dealer once and it reminded me very much of VTR's riding position. u guys thinkg the rc51 is bad? go sit on a a zx7 from late 90's early 2000's....torture rack.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:53 PM
SuperSport

I absolutely love the comfort, torque, feel, sound, look, everything. I had a failure shortly after I bought it. $2500 later for a new piston, head work, seat, exhaust, jets, tps, yada yada it has ran perfect no longer than 3 weeks at a time. I had apes put in it from the shop and NEVER could get the sound to go away. Compared it to another hawk with yosh cans and mine sounded as if it was about to snap a valve any minute. I had them put new stock cct's in and it purred like a kitten. Totally different sound. Yes (before I get the, adjustment coments) I tried adjusting the ape's and so did the shop. Anyway, sucked debris from a broken fuel line into the pilot again (I think) so I have a huge flat spot again. On top of that, when it's hot, it makes a noise simmilar to the noise it made with ape's in it. I'm just ranting and it's depressing as hell when the bike runs like ****!
Old 07-22-2010, 08:17 PM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by ranchomice
I absolutely love the comfort, torque, feel, sound, look, everything. I had a failure shortly after I bought it. $2500 later for a new piston, head work, seat, exhaust, jets, tps, yada yada it has ran perfect no longer than 3 weeks at a time. I had apes put in it from the shop and NEVER could get the sound to go away. Compared it to another hawk with yosh cans and mine sounded as if it was about to snap a valve any minute. I had them put new stock cct's in and it purred like a kitten. Totally different sound. Yes (before I get the, adjustment coments) I tried adjusting the ape's and so did the shop. Anyway, sucked debris from a broken fuel line into the pilot again (I think) so I have a huge flat spot again. On top of that, when it's hot, it makes a noise simmilar to the noise it made with ape's in it. I'm just ranting and it's depressing as hell when the bike runs like ****!
Wow-Never heard these issues. What yr?

Hmm-sounds like it wasn't maintained properly - before U bought it.

Dump it & buy something else - FZ-1? RC is not street friendly ride.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:42 PM
SuperSport

It sat for 9 years before I got it. It is a 98 and I got it with 1439 miles. Yes that's one thousand four hundred! It now has a bit under 5k on it and it just seems super tempermental.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
It sat for 9 years before I got it. It is a 98 and I got it with 1439 miles. Yes that's one thousand four hundred! It now has a bit under 5k on it and it just seems super tempermental.
Well get the carbs clean and just about all your problems should go away. That's why I said be ready for it to happen again.

As for the noises, whichever cylinder is having the jet problem is going lean and running hot. Fix the carbs and the noises should go away.

I know you've been through a lot but I think you are very close to having a good running bike. Change the other fuel line, if you haven't already, when the carbs are out and it should run good.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:49 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I've got about 190,000 miles of street riding, 40,000 on my SuperHawk. With all of its quirks and warts, I love my VTR...best bike I've ever had.

I sat on an RC at the dealer before buying my VTR, and I knew I wouldn't have been able to handle the riding position for very long. Having said that, I think it's absolutely the most sexy looking bike ever. I could have bought one and put higher bars on it, but that would alter the handling, in my opinion. Besides, since I'm not Colin Edwards or Nicky Hayden, I couldn't ride it like it was intended anyway.

And after pulling the tank and the carbs a few times...it's kind of fun.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
And I know it's a ways to come but like I told you before, bring it over with the new hoses and I'll do it for you.......
Old 07-23-2010, 11:49 PM
SuperSport

I may just ride down there very very soon Mike. I'm frustrated...
Old 07-24-2010, 03:21 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
You should definitely spend some time on the RC before you pull the trigger. Great bike but the riding position isn't long term friendly. If you do long rides, the RC will punish you.

Originally Posted by Red_Liner740
forget the rc51, I'd go with a Z1000....
Ya know, I just demo'd one yesterday (along with a new R1 and a Concours). That bike was an absolute blast to ride. The I4 geared the way they have it, had plenty of low end. My only complaint was that the bars were too straight. They need to bend back a little toward the center line of the bike. I think the front wheel came off the ground at least 5 times during the 30min ride.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:59 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Red_Liner740
just so u guys know the new cbr1000rr has a very easy going riding position. i sat on one at a dealer once and it reminded me very much of VTR's riding position.
That's funny, when I sat on one at the dealer, that was the first thought that popped into my mind too...
Old 07-24-2010, 04:08 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
Know what else is funny/strange/maybe just a co-inkydink? My buddy's Superhawk (also a '98, bought new then) didn't blow the front CCT until after the first time he let it sit un-ridden for a couple of years due to crash damage/shoulder injury/birth of his first baby. Those things left him unable to ride it for a spell, and it wasn't until he got her back on the road after a long hiatus that the CCT went out... he swears that was a major factor in the causation. Only difference was that his had ten times the amount of miles as yours.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:08 AM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
I like the Z1000, too. The new one just looks a lot better to my eyes and supposedly they ironed out some of the vibes.