Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

rear brake sticking?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Superstock

andy9743 is on a distinguished road
rear brake sticking?

i seem to have an odd problem that i can't quite put my finger on...pulled my rear wheel/tire to get new rubber put on. reinstalled the wheel. went to go for a ride and it was hard to back out of my garage. pushed it back in put the rear end back up on the stand and tried to spin the rear wheel. it seemed to be binding. looked at the rear brake, it was grabbing with no force being applied to the lever. so i removed the caliper and inspected it, it seemed normal the front bolt (larger of the 2 i think it was 14 mm) was difficult to thread in, almost like it was binding. took it out and restarted it 3 times (im sure i was not cross threading). rear bolt went in with no issues and snugged up as it should...if i forced the front bolt to go all the way in it immediately caused the caliper to bind...i looked in the service manual to be sure that i didn't lose a spacer or something when i took it apart and found nothing. i'm sure that i have the correct bolts. when i took the caliper off i depressed the brake lever and the piston moves freely as it should. i also bled the brakes after i put it back together, didnt help. am i missing something here? any suggestions/ideas?

thanks
andy
Old 06-08-2009, 10:06 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
make sure you have the spacers on the right sides, the two spacers are different, also make sure the caliper bracket is sitting on the swing arm slot right. It has to be something put back together wrong
Old 06-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Superstock

andy9743 is on a distinguished road
caliper bracket is for sure correct. which spacers are you referring to? on the axle? the rotor and wheel are in line and seem fine, i'm not sure what you are referring to?

Last edited by andy9743; 06-08-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:04 PM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
There should be two... yes on the axle. sounds like you are missing the right side.

If its not the spacers, it may be that the caliper piston is binding.
The easiest way to check this is to take a small hammer or big rubber mallet and tap the caliper toward the wheel.
If its stuck good, hit it harder ... but not enough force to dent any metal on the caliper surface.
If the wheel frees up after a tap or two, you may need to get a caliper packing kit ( O-rings ) and rebuild it.

Last edited by Circuit_Burner; 06-08-2009 at 02:08 PM.