Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Screeching Noise & Over Heat

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 09:46 PM
Squid

Shortlived99 is on a distinguished road
Screeching Noise & Over Heat

I replaced my right side engine cover with a newer one! Mine is a '98 and the cover I replaced it with is from an undetermined year.

Im pretty sure I didnt make any mistakes in the install.
I reused the same oil (made sure it was clean), and replaced the coolant.

However, Once everything was back together my bike didnt want to start.
Well, cracked it for about 5 seconds and it started (it always fires up instantly).

Then, I hear an intermitent screeching noise coming from inside the cover. Not only that, but my bike is starting to over heat.

I left the cap off the coolant and it was bubbling up pretty good.

I seriously have no clue what I did. I did just learn that different years have different sizes of water pumps. There is also a small nipple coming from the pump cover that was not on my year.. (nothing was coming out of it) and I left it unattached to any hoses.

My theory: The waterpump cover is too small because 99-00 vtrs possibly have larger waterpump covers.

Last edited by Shortlived99; 05-08-2008 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:22 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Did you take anything else off while in there? I had messed up when I put in a factory pro ignition advancer and didn't have that assembly in properly when going back together which resulted in some new noises, ran hotter and likely had the timing off a little bit or it was not advancing properly. Another thought would be the water pump making the noise for some reason.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:32 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
The waterpump is part of the cover. Sounds like improper install/alignment of the pump shaft and it broke. ah, hemmm, BTDT.

A new pump has to be pressed into the engine cover to an exact height.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:00 PM
Squid

Well, with the pump cover off the water pump spins just fine when I crank it over. I found some metal shavings from the inside of the cover. (obvious it was sheering the inside of the pump cover. But really the water pump seems like its working fine.
BDTD?

Last edited by Shortlived99; 05-09-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:09 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Is the clutch pack doing the sheering? Post a pic of the inside of the cover if you can.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Squid

Ok, Definetly not the cluch pack. Real simple fix so far. I gotta go to the car shop and buy some fuses...

I took the water pump cover off and it was definetly the waterpump sheering the inside of the cover. Got metal shavings all over the place. I filed down the fins on the waterpump (looked up the part # and the 98 and 01 waterpumps/covers are a different size) and put the cover back on. No more noise, just over heating.

Then, I realized I had some how blown the fan fuse. Replaced it and now im gonna do a flush to get out any left over metal shavings.

I was really trying to resolve this without taking the clutch cover back off cause I dont wanna buy more oil.

OMG! Im gonna freak out. Switched the fuse and the fan kicked on once. Now it wont kick on again but the fuse is fine (yes i checked to make sure the fuse is good).

Last edited by Shortlived99; 05-09-2008 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Squid

PRTSMN is on a distinguished road
HMM. IS THE SWITCH BAD.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Squid

Thats what im gonna check next. I hate chasing electrical problems. I think a good cleaning might help. Im gonna do a flush first cause my fan used to never even need to turn on. So... Any suggestions beyond the manual on a coolant flush. Im gonna use distilled and motul.

I did short the fan and it worked tho. What should have been a simple clutch cover swap has turned into a nightmare.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I think your water pump impeller and shaft are not installed correctly. That's my guess.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Squid

It spins freely when I crank it. I can see it. This is a pic of the pump. I gotta run but ill put a vid of it spinning up later.

I wanna know how I could have installed it wrong? I didnt take the pump out ever. I just made sure it fit into its sprocket real nicely on the new one. (simple clutch cover swap).
Old 05-10-2008, 03:31 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
My guess goes to the fan motor, since the fuse blew in the first place, a dying motor can draw more current than normal, connect 12v on the motor to see if it's gone.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Squid

How do i go about that? Buy a 12v battery. I already shorted the lead to the frame and it kicked on.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:15 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
The fan motor is fine then if it runs when you ground it out... may want to look at the temp switch in the radiator next if it doesn't go on when it should.

Originally Posted by Shortlived99
How do i go about that? Buy a 12v battery. I already shorted the lead to the frame and it kicked on.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Squid

Im about to use some prestone super flush and flush my system real good. Got some dex-cool and some distilled water. Ill post when I finish.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Squid

Alright. Just rode it around and it stayed at 1/4 heat the whole time. Let it sit, got up to about 2/3 heat and the fan come on and off... Just like it should. I cleaned all the fan related connectors pretty well. So... I will drain and refill!!! Im stoked.

I can say one thing. It was nice riding her around naked. I think I might have to sell my fairings or trade for some Lights.

Drained the system and tons of crap came out. Lots of aluminum flakes (i mean tiny flakes). Im sure there is still more in there, but im gonna put her back together and ill flush her again at the end of the season.

Last edited by Shortlived99; 05-10-2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:26 PM
Squid

Problem solved. The 2001 clutch cover I put on had a larger water pump attached to it than my 98 did. The pump fins where about 3mm's taller than my 98's where. I tried to use the stock pump cover but it was too shallow. So, i filed down the fins and did about 4 flushs of the cooling system. Sealed it back up added 75% distilled/ 25% dex-cool, and now temps are great. The fan had some issues but after a good cleaning of all electrical connectors and replacement of the fuses she is running great.