Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Oil Filter Heat Shield

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 07:57 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Oil Filter Heat Shield

After heat wrapping the front header immediately adjacent the water hose and deciding I did not want to wrap the entire header, it dawned on me the front header passed very close to the oil filter and something other than heat wrap could be done. Somewhat in a "can it be done easily and effectively" mode, I sketched a design from some quick measurements and made a paper pattern. I had some 22 gauge aluminum sheet stock, so I used the pattern to cut a blank which I then bent to fit. I also punched some cooling holes at the top of the shield and added a bit of hi-temp neoprene foam strips as vibration dampers.

The below pics show the heat shield installed without the chin cowl in place for clarity. The next post includes pics with the oil filter heat shield and chin cowl installed. You can also see the heat wrapped header which has not been painted with hi-temp yet (still drying) and I may safety wire the bottom wrap and ditch the hose clamp.
Attached Thumbnails Oil Filter Heat Shield-vtr-oil-filter-ht-shld-w-o-chin-cowl-1.jpg   Oil Filter Heat Shield-vtr-oil-filter-ht-shld-w-o-chin-cowl-2.jpg   Oil Filter Heat Shield-vtr-oil-filter-ht-shld-w-o-chin-cowl-3.jpg   Oil Filter Heat Shield-vtr-oil-filter-ht-shld-w-o-chin-cowl-4.jpg  
Old 03-19-2008, 07:59 AM
SuperBike

Oil Filter heat Shield & Chin Cowl Installed Pics

I can scan & post the paper pattern if anyone wants it. Just let me know.

BTW, I cleaned up the chin cowl area for the "after" pics.
Attached Thumbnails Oil Filter Heat Shield-vtr-oil-filter-ht-shld-w-chin-cowl-1.jpg   Oil Filter Heat Shield-vtr-oil-filter-ht-shld-w-chin-cowl-3.jpg   Oil Filter Heat Shield-vtr-oil-filter-ht-shld-w-chin-cowl-4.jpg   Oil Filter Heat Shield-vtr-oil-filter-ht-shld-w-chin-cowl-2.jpg  

Last edited by skokievtr; 03-19-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:04 AM
Minimal Post
Back Marker

Josh is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice fabrication. In my ignorance, what is the benefit of heat shielding the oil filter? Thanks.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:22 AM
SuperBike

Why heat shielding?

Originally Posted by Josh
Nice fabrication. In my ignorance, what is the benefit of heat shielding the oil filter? Thanks.
Uh, OK I'll play. Whereas the water cooling system is more important than the oiling system, anything you can do to minimize heat generated by the engine from actually adding to its heat load is a very good thing. Adding heat wrap on the front header adjacent the coolant hose and installing a heat shield between this same header and the oil filter will minimize the significant heat radiated by the exhaust header from reheating the coolant and oil. In addition to an oil radiator (air-oil heat exchanger), a water cooled "collar" (water-oil heat exchanger) between the engine and oil filter are often utilized.

Whereas the real world effectiveness of these 2 mods may be marginal, they are quick and cheap to do and on a very hot day these mods could be the difference between continuing to fly low and trying to find shade and water on the side of the road or track with a boiled-over engine.

Last edited by skokievtr; 03-19-2008 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:06 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
looks good, nice work! Any heat reduction gained would be beneficial imho....
Old 03-19-2008, 01:34 PM
SuperBike

its easy if you have a 3D brain...