Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Running Rich

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 08:48 AM
Banned
Back Marker

99Hawkboy
Running Rich

Alright its partly my fault for the constant stop and go traffic to school and not getting it out on the open road. But ive got new plugs in her and just pulled them after one tank which light came on at 50miles by the way and they were once again carbon fouled. My jet settings are i believe current on my sig.. Ive done it so many times I cant keep it straight anymore. The bike does a lot of idling! I live about 2 miles from school and I let it warm up for 5 minutes at a time before heading out.

Is my pilot too big still? Or is it the fuel screw settings?
Old 11-21-2006, 08:52 AM
Banned
Back Marker

99Hawkboy
Anyways, sig not updating..
#48 pilot. 180/182 rr jets. 2 3/4 turns on fuel screws. Clips at i believe 3rd clip.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:54 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Whoa! Yes, you're definitely rich. With just a bafflectomy and K&N you should be running stock jet sizes, MAYBE one size larger, 2 turns out on the mixture screws and stock #45 pilot. You're jetted for a full system right now! Needle height is something you'll have to play with, but right in the middle where you have it is a good starting point.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:53 PM
Banned
Back Marker

99Hawkboy
See thats where I had it when i began jetting. I was running into a lean surge problem or misfire rather while at part throttle. Now no problems whatsoever but my fuel mileage. I took it down to 48 pilots and it helped but still rich.... The problem is for full throttle acceleration how much does the pilot jet affect the powerband? Im going to go with 178fr/180rr main jets and just need to figure out the pilot...
Old 11-22-2006, 08:25 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Here, check out this link. A picture speaks a thousand words and saves me from having to type more than I have to.

http://www.speedandsport.com/jet.html

I hate to say it but you might want to try ditching the K&N. It's not going to help any with just a bafflectomy. The main source of restriction is currently your exhaust and header. The intake tract is more than sufficient for the exhaust you have and I've a feeling you've upset the airbox flow/resonance with the K&N.

As for low rpm carburetion, you have to think of the pilot jet and mixture screw like the tuning ***** of a really old FM tuner. There is a fine adjust and a coarse adjust. The pilot jet is the coarse. The mixture screw is the fine. If you turn the coarse **** too far one way there is nothing the fine **** can do. So you have to get in the ballpark with your pilot jet, and IMO the 48 is too big. Add to that the mixture screws are WAY out and you're constantly dumping fuel into the cylinders.

You might want to look at the possiblity of air leaks at the carb boots. Ensure the clamps are tight. You might be trying to compensate for some extra air somewhere.

I am running a low mount perforated pipe-type exhaust (Hindle) and a K&N. I have also ground out the restriction in the header on the right side. The bike was tuned at sea level, like where you are. For stock headers, I can't get better flow than I have right now. I'm currently running stock #45 pilots and have my mixture screws 2.25 turns out. If you're settings are richer than mine to get the bike to run correctly then there's some other issues that need to be dealt with.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:44 AM
Banned
Back Marker

99Hawkboy
Sweet Deal! Thanks for the help Greg! You are always helping me out lol!
I plan on getting a set of slip ons and grinding down the restriction in the headers, but for right now I will change the jetting for best fuel economy and performance. You are absolutely correct on the intake and exhaust... But im just going to stick it out and run the K&N and hopefully get it to run good with the 45 pilot and lower the jets.

Anyways ill get too it after the thanksgiving holiday and let you know.. Hope you have a great thanksgiving!