Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Replacing brake and clutch levers

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 09:40 AM
AJK
Squid

AJK is on a distinguished road
Replacing brake and clutch levers

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone would shed some light on how easy it is to replace the levers on the vtr. Any pointers with past experience would be appreciated,

Also if anyone has stumbled across the forums which regards to this, the link would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time !
Old 09-09-2008, 09:44 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
The levers are pretty much a bolt on affair. I heard that blingy aftermarket levers will shave several seconds off your daily commute times.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:04 AM
AJK
Squid

lol, you wouldnt be referring to the blingy 'pazzo' levers by any chance would you. Although they are nice, i just dont think i can justify forking out 200 bones for levers !
Old 09-09-2008, 10:21 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, those are the kinds of levers to which I was referring.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:55 PM
MSF RiderCoach
Back Marker

radbikers is on a distinguished road
Ok, so I will step up to the plate and admit I have the "blingy" Pazzo shorty levers on the SH. Since I have a yellow/black SH, I got the black levers w/gold adjustment ***** on them. I think my quarter miles times went down at least 2 seconds the moment I put them on... Seriously, they are super simple to put on (10 minutes for both), you can adjust them while on the fly, and they are more comfortable to use than stock. And yes, they look really cool. Are they worth the almost 200 bucks? Matter of perspective, but since we've also got them on my ST1300, as well as my wife's CBR600RR and her VFR800, I didn't really have a choice...

Old 09-09-2008, 05:57 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
I replaced the clutch lever last week with one that happened to be at Cycle gear. It didn't come with the bushing for the clutch MC plunger. Mine was pretty ovaled, so that was another trip to get one of those. But it was a simple job.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:01 PM
AJK
Squid

rad bikers, what a beautiful bike man ! great job, ive got my mind set on those pazzo levers but at the moment im working on the mario nava fairings so for the time being i had to settle with the cheapy ebay levers for 20 bones.. , ill probably put them on this weekend, glad to hear its going to be an easy job tho !
Old 09-09-2008, 07:15 PM
MSF RiderCoach
Back Marker

radbikers is on a distinguished road
Thanks. I replaced the yellow upper center fairing piece with a black one, kind of lets the smoked windscreen just fade into the black. This pic doesn't show it, but I've now got a black w/yellow piping Sargent seat on the bike as well. That's about it for the cosmetics...Not too bad for a 2000, huh? It's only got 7k miles on it, and the only thing left to do now is replace the CCTs, but I figure I got a little time on that.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:45 PM
ReNoob
Squid

Sablotny is on a distinguished road
Took me all of 10-15 minutes

So are they worth $179? (Shipped and with new free grips from Moto Mummy) Not the major question for me. I got short levers both sides- sometimes I wonder if I should have gotten the long clutch lever. I don't like the long look, but the clutch lever is a little extra work with 2-3 fingers. Anyhoo, I love 'em. Makes my bike stand out even against new models.
Attached Thumbnails Replacing brake and clutch levers-pazzo-1-large-.jpg  
Old 09-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
Replacing levers is a simple bolt on affair,just remember to put a little loc-tite on the threads or the vibration will loosen the nut/bolt and you will loose the nut.Don't ask me how I know!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I bought some of the ASV levers while I was at Laguna Seca for MotoGP. I absolutely LOVE them. I honestly feel there is more of a difference in feel in the clutch than anything else, and since I use the clutch a lot more than the brake I feel it is worth the cost. I can actually FEEL the clutch action now, almost like it were a cable actuated unit. The brakes (1000RR radial jobbers) are already super awesome so there wasn't much more I could do to make them better.

ASV are highly recommended. I spoke with the owner/designer at length about them and truly believe these are the best out there. They are also unbreakable and come with a 5 year warranty. Here's the link: http://asvinventions.com/index.php