Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Replaced top radiator hose

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 05:01 PM
Squid

ckoscin is on a distinguished road
Replaced top radiator hose

I had a small crack in the hose after the winter. Took the hose off today and matched it up with some from local parts store. No leaks so far. I filled the reservoir with antifreeze. It didn't seem to suck any up. How do I make sure there is no air in the lines? I ran the bike and after a bit the fan was blowing hot air and the top hose was hot. The temperature gauge went down with the fan on.

am I missing anything ?
Old 04-26-2017, 05:30 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
All I ever do when refilling the radiators is to top the fluid up to the bottom neck of the radiator, shake the bike around a little on the sidestand which sometimes dislodges a few bubbles, top up again if needed, the start the engine with the cap still off. Give the engine a few blips which again might dislodge some more bubbles. As the coolant heats up the level in the neck will start to rise, if that happens I call it done and seal the cap on before it overflows. Then top up the reservoir to approx halfway.

AFAIK the system is self-purging; any air will accumulate in the radiator cap area and get pushed out through the reservoir when it gets hot. Then the radiators will suck back just coolant.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:11 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
As long as the reservoir (expansion tank) tank has fluid when the system is hot, as the system cools, it will draw coolant into the system.
Initially top off the right rad, lean the bike over back and forth a few times to purge air..once thats done top off again, close it up, fill the res, and run the bike up to temp, shut down and let cool completely, top off res tank as needed, after a few heat cool cycles you should see the level in the tank stabilize.