Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Need new battery, looking for suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 08:47 AM
Squid

TWal is on a distinguished road
Need new battery, looking for suggestions

Hey everyone,

I am a very new SuperHawk owner and have recently discovered these forums. I love what I see and am planning on being relatively active here.

I have a question: my bike has been sitting for several weeks in the MA cold and the battery is completely dead. I talked to the previous owner and the battery is old and really should be replaced. I started browsing online and noticed batteries are a little more expensive than I imagined. I've found them anywhere between 60 and 150 bucks, and I'd like to hear from you guys what I should look into getting (quality, price, etc.)

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2014, 10:15 AM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forums, theres a few people from MA here including me, what part are you from?

And to answer your question, if your on a budget, a standard lead acid battery will do its job but its heavy... otherwise an AGM may be a little better/more convenient being maintenance free but is just as heavy and sometimes twice as expensive... or you can save a lot of weight and get a lithium battery but they are very expensive...
Old 03-26-2014, 01:30 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by scottiemann
Welcome to the forums, theres a few people from MA here including me, what part are you from?

And to answer your question, if your on a budget, a standard lead acid battery will do its job but its heavy... otherwise an AGM may be a little better/more convenient being maintenance free but is just as heavy and sometimes twice as expensive... or you can save a lot of weight and get a lithium battery but they are very expensive...
Thanks for the welcome! I'm right on the border of RI, 25 minutes north of Providence. Where's home to you?

I just want something that works and is reliable. Ideally I'd love to get the most cost effective option assuming its reliable and won't damage the bike. That doesn't really move this discussion forward but I hope you see what I'm saying, haha. Can you give me a specific example of a AGM battery that'd work with the SuperHawk?
Old 03-26-2014, 01:46 PM
SuperBike

Holliston specifically, 20 minutes from the border at woonsocket...

AGM has the reliability and is reasonably priced, autozone stocks them for around $90 but they can be found cheaper on ebay and amazon the part numbers start differently for different manufacturers but usually end in 12-BS... a quick google search will give you options.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:17 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by scottiemann
Holliston specifically, 20 minutes from the border at woonsocket...

AGM has the reliability and is reasonably priced, autozone stocks them for around $90 but they can be found cheaper on ebay and amazon the part numbers start differently for different manufacturers but usually end in 12-BS... a quick google search will give you options.
Awesome! Holliston is a nice town. I live in the southern tip of Mendon.

I've seen AGM batteries on eBay for literally $30... how is that possible? The price difference is so drastic it makes me think something has to be up. Does anyone else have experience buying batteries on eBay?
Old 03-26-2014, 09:42 PM
SuperBike

yea... your pretty damn close to me

anyways, another member on here just bought a cheap AGM off ebay i believe but im not positive...

I just bought a 45 dollar wally world battery to get me by til i can collect the bits needed to build a lithium battery..

ive had wally world batteries last years so just get what you can afford, your big worry should be the R/R (regulator rectifier)... do some searches on here and youll know what im talking about
Old 03-26-2014, 11:07 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I upsized/upgraded to a ytx14bs. Just slightly bigger and more powerfull. Got me throught this winter riding in 0*F.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:32 AM
Superstock

FTL900 is on a distinguished road
I got an AGM (gel) battery on ebay, shipped out of California. No filling with acid, and no leaks if it gets cracked. It doesn't care if you turn it over, or even mount it upside down. I think it was right around $35 shipped. I'm running AGM batteries in 3 of my bikes now- no problems.

OK, here it is for $32 shipped.

Get the CCTs checked and replaced very soon so you don't lunch the motor, and replace the regulator as well. The R/R (regulator/rectifier) is a much easier fix at home in the garage when you can plan for it than having it happen on the road. It really only takes about half an hour, and on the difficulty scale, I'd call it one beer.

The SH regulator is ridiculously small and not even finned for heat dissipation. Tweety has a great thread on here with many examples of which ones work, and after checking his list, I went with a ZX10 model, 2005 or newer. I got two of them on ebay for $40 each (one for my VFR) - here's one a little cheaper. It will require minor wiring connector changes, but nothing difficult.

VTR1000 OEM Regulator-poorly designed and no cooling fins

ZX10 MOSFET regulator with cooling fins

Last edited by FTL900; 03-27-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:40 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
I just ordered this yesterday (along with a new battery for my TLD Ruckus)

YTZ14S Battery | Scorpion 12 Volt Motorcycle Batteries

$69. > Free 2 day shipping - no tax and a very strong CCA.

I'll be installing it tomorrow.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:20 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
FTL, NNJ, Thanks for the info. This to me is the best part of the forum. Finding good deals on stuff we all need.

One thing I learned from and old timer (I am becoming an old timer myself), is that you can absolutely shorten a batteries life by float/trickle charging TOO much.

I have a good float charger but now even in winter dont keep it hooked up 24/7. Do it overnight maybe 2-3 nights/ week TOPS.

Batteries are built with parameters in mind and being charged every 5 min is not one of them.

I totally disbelieved this until I tried it both ways and watched my battery life grow the 2nd way (too bad it took many years of experiments.)

Also be aware that batteries drain faster in summer due to heat. In addition, they are under more stress running a fan in summer. The drain in winter (if you ride it) is thick oil to push at starting.

Some nights of the bike sitting in 0*F for 9hrs I would have to bring it indoors for 20 min (the store I manage was closed) and it would start.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:46 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
FTL, NNJ, Thanks for the info. This to me is the best part of the forum. Finding good deals on stuff we all need.

One thing I learned from and old timer (I am becoming an old timer myself), is that you can absolutely shorten a batteries life by float/trickle charging TOO much.

I have a good float charger but now even in winter dont keep it hooked up 24/7. Do it overnight maybe 2-3 nights/ week TOPS.

Batteries are built with parameters in mind and being charged every 5 min is not one of them.

I totally disbelieved this until I tried it both ways and watched my battery life grow the 2nd way (too bad it took many years of experiments.)

Also be aware that batteries drain faster in summer due to heat. In addition, they are under more stress running a fan in summer. The drain in winter (if you ride it) is thick oil to push at starting.

Some nights of the bike sitting in 0*F for 9hrs I would have to bring it indoors for 20 min (the store I manage was closed) and it would start.
Yeah I've pretty much had the Tender on all Winter - I used to just do what U said & put it on for 2 days, then off.

But my battery is 5 yrs old now, so for $70, I'm just going to change it. As I plan on doing a little mini tour ride down to DC to watch my buddies kid play in a rugby tournament in early April and I don't want to be with a battery that is on its last legs.

And No hiways going there - all backroads
Old 04-29-2017, 08:16 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nnjhawk02
I just ordered this yesterday (along with a new battery for my TLD Ruckus)

YTZ14S Battery | Scorpion 12 Volt Motorcycle Batteries

$69. > Free 2 day shipping - no tax and a very strong CCA.

I'll be installing it tomorrow.
I find myself now in same spot as the OP in this thread just realizing my battery is at least 6 years in service now. Trouble free so far but def time for a new one. The battery referenced in this post is still available but now $5 cheaper.

Anyone know of something better in the AGM category?
Old 04-29-2017, 09:07 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
If you're willing to spend the money a Li-ion is the way to go.