Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Removing fairing

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 10:01 AM
Back Marker

J.J. is on a distinguished road
Removing fairing

Can someone post step-by-step instructions on removing the fairing? I wasnt able to find any info by searching...

I imagine it starts with removing the mirrors, and I can see that there are 4 fairing bolts, but I'm sure that there is a lot more to it than just that. My problem always begins with removing electrical connectors, and by the looks of it, there are several to disconnect before it will come off.. (Guage cluster, headlight/pos light, blinkers etc) Where are they all, how to disconnect, etc... All help is appreciated!

Cheers!
Old 05-29-2007, 10:23 AM
Squid

Waterboy is on a distinguished road
Ok- here it is-
Disconnect your electrical connections. You can reach the turn signals and the headlight connector.
Remove the mirrors and the 4 bodywork screws. Also, remove the two black plastic screws on the bottom inside edge of the plastic.
Next, step in front of the bike and pull the front bodywork out about 1-2 inches. Disconnect the last electrical connector- the top light.
Finally, remove the bodywork and put it on a blanket or something so you don't tear it up. Installation is reverse of removal

The gauges can stay in place!
Old 05-29-2007, 10:23 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Add that you need to spread out the side fairings to clear the mounting brackets. The bodywork will creak and protest a bit but it WILL spread out far enough. The price you pay if you don't spread them enough is possibly scratching the **** out of the paint. Note how the marker light connector is oriented when you remove it. They are not intuitive.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:30 AM
Back Marker

J.J. is on a distinguished road
Thanks fellers! Wasnt as hard as I thought... although the headlight connector fought me, and the marker light connection just fell out on its own... I got it off in short order. We'll see about the installation!
Old 06-29-2007, 05:48 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
I took it off this winter and went out of the shed in a total rush of nonsense and cardboard cars flashback, running and screaming, rrrrrRRRRRRRAAAAAAAA...rrrrrrRRRRRAAAAAAA.
My girlfriend was , damn I missed my bike and yes I had a few beers while working on my bike.