Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

removing carbs

Old 03-18-2007, 11:55 AM
Squid

YellowHawk is on a distinguished road
Unhappy removing carbs

Hey all!
I am trying to replace the coolant hoses between the cylinders. It seems like the carbs have to come off to do this. I am following the shop manual's instructions, but the carbs won't budge. please help.....
Old 03-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

99Hawk
Did you loosen the clamps on the carb boots?
If so just add some muscle and rock them back and forth and they'll loosen up.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:39 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Remember there are smaller coolant hoses actually going to the carbs - the carbs are heated by the coolant.

For removal, in addition to loosening the top clamps on the boot as suggested, either start the bike briefly to warm up the rubber so it comes off easier, or use a hair dryer for a few minutes. If they are cold they are very inflexible and stuck. then a lot of muscle - I find it easier to rock them right to left to get them loose. Oh and the front boot clamp is access by a little hole in the plastic just under the frame rail to fit a screw driver in to access it - the clamps are in position to access that way. The clamps won't rotate even when very loose- there is a small rubber dot on the boot holding them in place - don't force them trying to convince yourself its loose.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:40 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
might I suggest a bigger hammer ?
oh, wait, this isn't the 'gixxer' forum!
Old 03-18-2007, 01:28 PM
Squid

Thanx, I will try the hair drier. The small hoses are off, top and bottom clamps are loose, but the manual reccommended leaving the airbox attatched if the carbs will not be serviced. I don't know? - to take the airbox off looked like another pain, especially if the small screws get stripped.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:45 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
keeping them attached won't present any additional problems. There is a breather large tube to the airbox from each headcover that easily comes off the box, throttle cables and choke cables - depending on how much room you need you might not have to remove all of those, but is easy after doing it the first time. careful on the choke cables - its a plastic 10mm nut into the carb and doesn't require much force to reattach.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:40 PM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point
I feel your pain man shortly after buying my bike I noticed a coolant leak from the front cyl. water jacket after tracing it down I found that all it was was the hose clamp and beilieve it or not I had to remove here we go!!! the front fairing, the tank, the air box, and I pulled the carbs out of the boots just to get to the ****** fu#%ing hose clamp so never the less I tightened everything and changed the plugs to!! now if I only knew about these a.p.e. cct's then. anyways it is easier to remove the airbox then the carbs you get a little more room to work the manual says what it says because the threads are in alluminum and could strip out just take your time and take pics before hand if it will help you on the re-install good luck
Old 03-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Back Marker

Dave Wicks is on a distinguished road
Caution

When you remove the carbs, be very careful with the "choke" cables..actually (starter valves)... the black plastic fittings that go into th carbs are very fragile...Front one seems the most vulnerable...theres lots of little hoses.. mark them with masking tape if you need too... sometimes they drop down out of site when you get them off.. if this not "an all at one time" it is easy to lose track of them...Maybe Harley has something.. air cooled.. one carb... half the power, half the durablity...

Good luck man
Dave
Old 03-19-2007, 08:02 PM
Squid

VTRBandit is on a distinguished road
Mine were pretty rough the first time I took them off, and Ive prolly had to take them off a total of 8 times for different reasons each time. One way I found that worked out alright was after the 2 rubber boots on the bottom of each carb are loose, I then loosened 3 of the 4 connecting bolts so that the rear carb can act a little more like a forward and back swivel without having to be attached to the front carb. That way when it is loose, you can give it a better pull in its natural direction of coming off. (The rear carb up and towards the handlebars, the front carb up and towards the seat) Hope that helps ya, also make sure you retighten those rubber boots on the bottow when before you are done putting everything back together, I didnt have a driver long enough to reach, and man was that a b!@#h!!
Old 03-26-2007, 07:06 AM
Squid

Thanks for all the help. I got them off on Thursday, now just waiting for new hoses.