Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Regulator Rectifer

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 09:13 PM
Squid

SuperHawkSon is on a distinguished road
Regulator Rectifer

My son has a 98 SuperHawk which burnt out the plug that connects the wiring harness to the reg/rec. The bike was dropped on the right side while stunting and shortly after that the plug caught on fire, so he thinks it was damaged as a result of the accident. I purchased a new reg/rec and a wiring harness for him. We removed the reg/rec connecting plug from the wiring harness and soldered it into the harness in his bike, hooked up the reg/rec, and are good to go, the system is charging as it should. After riding around for about twenty minutes we checked everything out and were surprised that wiring harness leading to the reg/rec was so hot. He had never checked it before, so does not know if it normally has a high operating temperature. Any help will be appreciated. Dad, for my SuperHawkSon
Old 05-17-2010, 10:22 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
They do get real hot under normal use... If you replaced it with an OEM unit without any cooling fins you may want to replace it with a 2001+ improved version or convert to a gsxr unit which is a popular upgrade - search the forum for lots of information on those topics. Good luck with it.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:30 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Also make sure the R/R has good contact to the subframe to help pull some heat off of it.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
If the wiring is hot, I'd check the grounding... The R/R gets hot to the touch and the wiring will get heat from that, but the effect increases dramaticly if the groundwire doesn't have a good connection...
Old 05-18-2010, 06:58 AM
Large Member
Squid

flyinwheelie is on a distinguished road
I went through the same R/R troubles and agree with all above suggestions. You might want to make sure your wire connections are REALLY good. My plug melted into a plastic blob, so I cut it off and crimped the wires together. Bad idea. The heat then seemed to be highest at the crimps and they soon melted. When I finally soldered the wires together, it really helped. The better the connection, the less heat I had.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:17 PM
Squid

SuperHawkSon is on a distinguished road
OK, I just talked to JohnnyHonda my son and he posted a similar question on this forum. My thanks to all for your assistance. We will follow your suggestions. YO! Tweedy, Thanks for not being harsh, your too cool, (lol). I have been riding for 50 years, and am glad to know that there is still a bond between riders willing to help each other however they can. I hope that never changes no matter what flavor you ride.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Superstock

doomcookie is on a distinguished road
Gotta love those stock R/R on 98.. haha I have a 98 myself.. Swap a R1 R/R on there.. Hey if you have a spare computer some where i'm sure you can move the R/R and use the fins off a CPU can help absorb the heat.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:43 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SuperHawkSon
OK, I just talked to JohnnyHonda my son and he posted a similar question on this forum. My thanks to all for your assistance. We will follow your suggestions. YO! Tweedy, Thanks for not being harsh, your too cool, (lol). I have been riding for 50 years, and am glad to know that there is still a bond between riders willing to help each other however they can. I hope that never changes no matter what flavor you ride.
That thread is here if anyone is interested

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=22581

If I understand JohnnyHonda correctly, he had run the ground wire between the R/R and the frame preventing the R/R from mating flush. When he reroutes it and tightens down the unit I think he'll be OK.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:21 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
Has anyone tried using computer processor thermal paste between the R/R and the frame? I've been thinking about trying that to see if it makes a difference. It should increase the surface area making contact, thus increase heat transfer.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:26 AM
Superstock

johnnyhonda is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
That thread is here if anyone is interested

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=22581

If I understand JohnnyHonda correctly, he had run the ground wire between the R/R and the frame preventing the R/R from mating flush. When he reroutes it and tightens down the unit I think he'll be OK.
I`m going to move that wire today and see if it helps. Once again thanks for all the help guys.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:01 AM
Superstock

Ok so I moved the wire so that it`s in between the bolt and the R/R not the subframe. I cleaned up the the residue on the subframe, took it for a small ride and it`s still fire hot. Anyone have anymore ideas for us. HELP ME PLEASE.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:28 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Carry a spare R/R or install a different one and carry this one as a spare.

Did you check that the wire connections are well soldered? And did you check for corrosion elsewhere, like at the battery etc?

We are kind of running out of options here.

Last edited by lazn; 05-21-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:00 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
I've got a later VTR with the finned R/R. Never had any problem in 5 years but I've never jumped off the bike, pulled the seat and put my hand on the R/R so I don't know how hot it gets or how hot they should get.

lazn is right. Unless you've got connector/wire damage (you should check) from the one that burned up previously, you can either...

Just ride with it or

buy and ride with a spare in case this one fries or

scrap this one and adapt a bigger/heavier R/R to your bike like many people on the forum have already done.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:29 AM
Superstock

can anyone tell me what the r/r does? I can start my bike without it. Where do those little yellow wires go? where does the ground go? i`m about to stick some dynomite in the gas tank and watch the fire works.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:53 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by johnnyhonda
I can start my bike without it.
...Not for long

The RR is suposed to be hot. If your not melting things stop fussing with it. I you need to know more follow this:
http://www.electrosport.com/technica...ng-diagram.pdf

As for the wires, down load the service manual in the Knowledge base. Schematics are near the end.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Stevebis1
...Not for long

The RR is suposed to be hot. If your not melting things stop fussing with it. I you need to know more follow this:
http://www.electrosport.com/technica...ng-diagram.pdf

As for the wires, down load the service manual in the Knowledge base. Schematics are near the end.
Actually i think That`s what started the fire. I think that the first replacement r/r was doing the samething, and the plug melted from between the metal connection causing them to arc and start the fire.
Could it be stater problems?
Old 05-29-2010, 03:32 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Seriously... A fully working R/R will be to hot to comfortably touch, but not hot enough to make things melt or burn...

The reason it's supposed to be that way, is because the R/R takes the higher AC voltage from the stator and makes it into 13-14V DC... The energy that isn't needed is converted to heat... That is the exact purpose of the R/R...

If you can hold a piece of plastic to the metal parts on the R/R and count to fifty without it melting or deforming, it's normal... Get yourself out on the road having fun, and forget about the R/R...
Old 05-29-2010, 07:35 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Tweety
Seriously... A fully working R/R will be to hot to comfortably touch, but not hot enough to make things melt or burn...

The reason it's supposed to be that way, is because the R/R takes the higher AC voltage from the stator and makes it into 13-14V DC... The energy that isn't needed is converted to heat... That is the exact purpose of the R/R...

If you can hold a piece of plastic to the metal parts on the R/R and count to fifty without it melting or deforming, it's normal... Get yourself out on the road having fun, and forget about the R/R...
yes sir will do and thanks.