Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Rear ride height

Old 08-25-2014, 10:48 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Rear ride height

Looking for a rear ride height measurement with stock shock set at lowest preload, static. Say center of axle to center of rear peg/exhaust bracket mounting bolt. I'm questioning the measurement I took when I installed a Fox TC a couple of months ago. I would like to have a base line to work from. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:52 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Wow, it has been so long since my shop has seen a stock shock! Would a measurement of my suggested rear ride height help you?
Old 08-26-2014, 08:42 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, you don't care as much about where you started as how close you are to ideal(ish). Everyone has preferences but I would figure Jamies number would give you a known good setting.

100% the stocker with low preload is 100% wrong so why even wonder?

I would take several measurements from guys with sweet handling hawks and find something similar you like.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:19 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Wow, it has been so long since my shop has seen a stock shock! Would a measurement of my suggested rear ride height help you?
Yes it would very much.

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Yeah, you don't care as much about where you started as how close you are to ideal(ish). Everyone has preferences but I would figure Jamies number would give you a known good setting.

100% the stocker with low preload is 100% wrong so why even wonder?

I would take several measurements from guys with sweet handling hawks and find something similar you like.
Thanks, that make sense.
I had the Fox up to just short of maximum, which was giving me similar height as the stock. I don't know if that was the wrong approach or not. The bike seemed to handle just fine. I then had the tank slapper, which was due to ham fisting the front brakes, and knocked the front out of alignment. I thought I fixed it but the bike continued to handle very strangely. Thinking that the lift on the shock was the cause so I took about 3mm out. That really didn't change things (much). I have since discovered the cause of the ***** handling when I put a new front tire on and saw how far off the front alignment was. Feel pretty stupid for not getting it sooner. Road dirt bikes as a teenager and did the same alignment fix then. All is straight now and the bike is turning very good. So I'm at about 7mm of 11mm possible on the shock. So yeah having a static height from a known well handling bike would be ideal. To cover this point I do have the sag set.