Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Shim rear shock to speed steering /gain height

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 07:29 PM
Squid

DDohio
Shim rear shock to speed steering /gain height

I do 6-8 trackdays/yr and would like quicker steering and some ground clearance on the rear (too much hardware dragging - guess I need rearsets). How much is enough to see a difference? Too much and I could be looking at instability and headshake, I would guess, although it surely would take quite a bit to ruffle the SH. Any comments would be appreciated. (I didn't find anything searching the threads)

Thanks
Old 03-29-2006, 08:23 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
5mm higher in the rear is a safe height. You can always increase or decrease as you feel necessary.

Rearsets will help immensely.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:21 PM
Back Marker

RonVTR
I've used a 5 mm shim on the street and was pleased with the results.

With the ease of adding a shim, I would do this before lowering the forks in the tripples.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:54 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Re: Shim rear shock to speed steering /gain height

Based on advice from a very knowledgeable and credible source (VTR guru Roger Ditchfield from Revolution Racing in the UK), do NOT raise the rear if you are running stock forks as the bike can become dangerously unstable at high speeds.

Mikstr
Old 04-23-2006, 08:25 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

Could you expound on the definition of stock forks? What upgrade did your source advise on to counter the effects of raising the rear?
Old 04-23-2006, 10:31 AM
MotoGP

I believe he was referring mostly to the springing but you may want to check with him directly (his e-mail is roger@revolutionuk.co.uk) He is wonderfully helpful and knowledgeable chap and can give you assitance in all things VTR. IN my case, I replaced the springs and used the info he provided me with in terms of drilling the cartridge, setting the sag, and using the proper weight and quantity of oil. The results are well worth the effort

Good luck

Mikstr
Old 04-23-2006, 04:49 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

Originally Posted by mikstr";p=&quot
I believe he was referring mostly to the springing but you may want to check with him directly (his e-mail is roger@revolutionuk.co.uk) He is wonderfully helpful and knowledgeable chap and can give you assitance in all things VTR. IN my case, I replaced the springs and used the info he provided me with in terms of drilling the cartridge, setting the sag, and using the proper weight and quantity of oil. The results are well worth the effort

Good luck

Mikstr
You mention these modifications, but you won't share the details wtih us?? j/k

Thanks for the email link. I'll fire one off to him soon. And I'll mention your name, in case he wants to know who to blame.

On a side note, I'm having trouble picturing the shim. Can someone take a picture of one? I went through the KB thread/post about it, but I just can't picture it in my mind. It looks like a coin, with a small section cut out, right? But thicker?
Old 04-23-2006, 06:04 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Originally Posted by marmaladeboy";p=&quot
On a side note, I'm having trouble picturing the shim. Can someone take a picture of one? I went through the KB thread/post about it, but I just can't picture it in my mind. It looks like a coin, with a small section cut out, right? But thicker?
shim pic
Old 04-23-2006, 06:52 PM
MotoGP

FYI, I am not withholding the fork mod info to be a dick but in one of his replies Roger noted that he did want this info to end up all over the Internet (as someone else had done with info he had provided). So, out of respect for the man and all of the help and advice he has been kind enough to provide, I do not spread the information. You will see, however, that he is quick at replying and, as I had stated earlier, he is very helpful. A real gentleman. Also, you will be hard-pressed to find anyone who knows more about our beloved VTRs.

BTW, I used a 4.5mm shim (tried a 6mm but was unable to get it in as it caused the shock linkage to come in contact with the exhaust pipe). I also raised the forks (forget the exact amount but I think it was 6-8 mm). the two combined help to speed up handling and facilitate turn-in. When you write to Roger, you cna ask him about what you can get away with in regards to all of this stuff.

Best of luck to you and let us know how you make out

cheers
Mikstr
Old 04-23-2006, 08:08 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

Originally Posted by jschmidt";p=&quot
Originally Posted by marmaladeboy";p=&quot
shim pic
Awesome, thanks! I thought that Greg's page had disappeared.

Originally Posted by mikstr";p=&quot
FYI, I am not withholding the fork mod info to be a dick but in one of his replies Roger noted that he did want this info to end up all over the Internet (as someone else had done with info he had provided). So, out of respect for the man and all of the help and advice he has been kind enough to provide, I do not spread the information. You will see, however, that he is quick at replying and, as I had stated earlier, he is very helpful. A real gentleman. Also, you will be hard-pressed to find anyone who knows more about our beloved VTRs.

BTW, I used a 4.5mm shim (tried a 6mm but was unable to get it in as it caused the shock linkage to come in contact with the exhaust pipe). I also raised the forks (forget the exact amount but I think it was 6-8 mm). the two combined help to speed up handling and facilitate turn-in. When you write to Roger, you cna ask him about what you can get away with in regards to all of this stuff.

Best of luck to you and let us know how you make out

cheers
Mikstr
Of course, no worries. Thanks for your responses and help.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:27 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
It's called inverted forks and a new shock problems solved. get a shock with ride height adjustment and the inverted forks, (besides RC51) will lower the front. I'm amazed at the enhanced performance they provide.