Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

RC51 upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 07:21 AM
Back Marker

fundgh is on a distinguished road
RC51 upgrades

I was at the motorcycle salvage yard yesterday looking for an R/R. I didn't find one that I "knew" would work so I didn't buy anything. I figured I need to do more research before risking the 30-40 bucks I will spend. However, I did see that they have a wrecked RC51 on the lot that may have quite a few goodies still in tact. Other than brakes, what else off of the RC would be a good/easy swap if I can get the parts for a good price? The front end looks to have taken the impact, so I wouldn't risk the forks (nor do I want to get into that big of a project. What would a good price be for the whole brake system (assuming it is OK) including the SS lines that are already on it? Does the R/R cross over, it looks robust, but has a couple more wires going to it.

Re: R/R - I have searched and researched, but I am still learning. Are the R1 and GSXR the only known R/Rs that cross over? Would any 5 or 6 wire unit work? I have found a lot of them off of older bikes (late 80's early 90's) that looked robust, finned but different wire colors. It seems that 2 yellow wires (sometimes 3) a red wire, a black wire, and a green wire is pretty common. Is there a way to determine input and output terminals on an unwired/unlabled unit (as the stock one would be without the connector in it). There were a couple nice looking units out of 636s, but they had 6+ wires. Any info would be awesome!
Old 06-15-2007, 10:21 AM
Back Marker

After reading hundreds of posts I have determined that the only EASILY swapped parts are going to be the brakes. I still need to know more about the r/r, and now have another question. How close would the shock be? There is LE decal on the shock itself, so it must be good, right!
Old 06-15-2007, 10:27 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
No go on the shock. No piggyback reservoir shock will fit under there. Has to be a remote res., not to mention the right length, proper spring, proper valving, and be able to mount up correctly.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:44 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
The RC shock also has the wrong bottom mount.

AFAIK, the RC r/r will work, you just don't hook up the additional wires. I don't which ones aren't necessary tho'.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:03 AM
Back Marker

Would this be to say then that the output of the RC51 charging system is similar to the VTR? I have been researching in other forums as well, and I was told that as long as the output wattage of the bikes is similar, the R/R should work. Due to other people's successes, I have to imagine that the R1 and GSXRs generate similar power as well?
Old 06-15-2007, 11:08 AM
Back Marker

Nevermind, I am sick of dealing with Mother*^&$ers at that salvage yard. Where do I get a good aftermarket r/r for the hawk? I have seen them on Ebay from one particular supplier for 100 bucks. Is that about right? Is there an actual online supplier that would be better to go through?
Old 06-15-2007, 11:14 AM
Squid

superhawk48 is on a distinguished road
R/R

Bought One Off E Bay. Fit A Yamaha R1. Had To Rewire The Connector. Had To Cut Off The Factory Honda Connector. Used 1/4 Inch Female Spade Terminals And Heat Shrink, Works Fine. Also Had To Relocate Due To Larger Size. Has Been On There Over 2000 Miles No Problems. Made Looooong Trip And No Problems. Think I Paid 32 Bucks On Ebay Including Shipping.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:58 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought mine from Rick's....

http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics....fierregulators

I think they give you 1 year warrenty... ask for a unit with fins on it.. so it stay nice and cool.... I have over 3k miles on mine in some nice hot heat, and it's performed wonderfully.

J.