Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Brake upgrades - finally work

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 06:53 AM
Superstock

Jim TT
Brake upgrades - finally work

I bought my SH this spring and added it to my collection (if that’s the right word- I have six Hondas at this point). There are several things I feel needed improvement brakes being one and the trans the other.
I first tried braded steel lines and they made very little improvement, then pads and after trying several have decide the EBC ‘HH’ pads are the best of the group I tried however the brakes still were not right. Too much lever action with not enough bite or speed reduction. I then went the route of adding a CBR 954 master cylinder (which I read about on this forum) and now finally the brakes are good, if not great. I really think this is how the bike should have come from the factory! Also I found that the stock Super Hawk brake lever would not fit the new master cylinder so I had to buy a 954 lever. I had the Hawk out on the track last month at Autobahn in Joliet IL and the brakes just sucked. I am thinking the new set up should work pretty well but the brakes need to be run in first. As to the trans I am going to pull the gears and have them under-cut which I think will fix the ‘clunky shifting’ as it always has with other bikes I’ve owned; I will report on that with pictures later this summer.
I think the brake set up I now have is well known here but I want to add my impressions to those of others who have done it. JIM
Old 08-17-2005, 07:50 AM
Back Marker

VTRFISH
Re: Brake upgrades - finally work

Pardon my ignorance on this.....what is under cutting?
What's involved?
Can it be done by any machinist? My father has a lathe and worked as a machinist for 20+ years.

Thanks
Mike
Old 08-17-2005, 10:42 AM
Superstock

Jim TT

Under cutting is a process where the gear engagement dogs and their respective pockets are machined at an undercut angle so that the gears pull or draw themselves together during gear changing. It requires very precise and actuate machine work so that the mating surface angles are exactly complimentary and contact points of all the dogs are engaging concurrently. This is best done with a CNC machine and an experienced operator. Given the cost of having a proven shop do it I would not EVEN consider the job myself. Go with Fast by Gast. Oh, and it WORKS. JIM
Old 08-17-2005, 01:41 PM
Back Marker

roadrun_fr

Originally Posted by Jim TT";p=&quot
I had the Hawk out on the track last month at Autobahn in Joliet IL and the brakes just sucked. I am thinking the new set up should work pretty well but the brakes need to be run in first.
What does "run in first" mean ?
Use them a little to warm them, then wait until they become cooler before reusing them ? Use Sandpaper on them ?
Old 08-17-2005, 03:05 PM
Superstock

Jim TT

Roadrun: the pads have a 243 mile brake in (I call it a 'run in' period) don't ask me how they came up with 243 miles. I am expecting the breaking to improve over the next 75 to 100 miles; the brakes are very good now however. JIM
Old 08-17-2005, 11:07 PM
Superstock

VTRDarren

Fast by Gast on Grand Island?? Are you a western new york native??

As for the smooth shifting, I found my rearsets drastically improved the shift qualities of the SH. Possibly the leverage differene of the rearsets and longer shift arm helped things out, but what a difference :-)
Old 08-18-2005, 06:38 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree the rear sets do seem to make a difference although I never really had a problem it just seems a bit smoother.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:38 AM
Superstock

Jim TT

I am in Chicago; I am talking about Fast by Gast:

[web:2baaf680da]http://www.fastbygast.com/Catagories/products/Transmissions.asp[/web:2baaf680da]