Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Racetech Shock

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Racetech Shock

Fox doesn't make the Twin Clicker anymore, Ohlins doesn't make their 46PRC, and I think the Penske is a bit overpriced. Jamie's modified F4 shocks seem to be our only option at this point, and as good as his work is, more options are always better, right?

So I spoke with the guys at Racetech at IMS in NYC yesterday about developing a shock for our VTR. They are willing to. They will need someone in southern Cali to drop off their bike at their shop and leave it up to 2 weeks while they do R&D. They intend to use their G3-S shock with the remote reservoir (http://www.racetech.com/HTML_FILES/G3SNEW_STREET.html). I don't have a price point at this time but he mentioned something about the first shock being *significantly* cheaper than MSRP. After its dialed in then we can do a group buy at like 20% off.

If you think you're a good candidate please shoot me a PM and I'll give you the contact info. I would prefer someone who is an accomplished rider and does track days to develop this shock. I have no interest in Racetech, but my concern is that we all don't get a piece of ****.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:06 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Good move Greg I must say, that is a sweet looking shock!!!!
Old 01-23-2010, 05:16 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Sorry, I read half the thread and posted. I think Jamie's solution is the best for the money. What I run - Penske but that was years ago in a different economy and a different technology.

One of the most impressive parts of this forum is how skilled members have stepped up to provide custom built parts for our bikes. When I did my rebuild in '07 this was not available.

Hawkrider did my forks but there were no options for the shock other than Ohlins or Penske. The fork braces were available but most of the guys went to transplants. Brakes were 6pots or nothing.

I can't thank the guys here enough for making my Superhawk better. I'm just glad that the new guys can make the bike so much better for less money now.

As such the Superhawk will be a force on the short street for decades. You want to show what *** looks like to a Harley rider? Buy a Superhawk.

Have her wear a thong.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:23 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Don't forget replacing the valving in the stock shock with a RaceTech Gold Valve. That's often overlooked but is a really good setup for the street and trackday rider. For the valving upgrade and a new spring I charge $275, so it's a pretty cost effective way to improve the performance.

I'd love to see what the guys at IMS come up with!
Old 01-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Back Marker

thefitzvh is on a distinguished road
that's what i'm gonna do... gonna get the stock rear shock valved and resprung... if i get more serious into trackdays i'll consider the f4i mod, but the stock shock getting reworked will be a cost effective way to make my bike better
Old 01-23-2010, 08:27 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
The Penske is a bit over priced now (when I bought mine it was $600) now its over $750; i.e., http://www.le-suspension.com/catalog/

Reworking the OE or 600 shock is a good option but I'm curious what RT MAY come up with...l
Old 01-23-2010, 08:44 PM
SuperBike

Penske makes a really nice shock.... but you pay for it. I think they are a much better value than the "O" brand too. That said, you really need to be an expert level racer to need the features that something like that provides. Plus you still need to have them setup specifically for you. Give me the shock of Spies bike and I would still be slow.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:15 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
So I spoke with the guys at Racetech at IMS in NYC yesterday about developing a shock for our VTR. They are willing to. They will need someone in southern Cali to drop off their bike at their shop and leave it up to 2 weeks while they do R&D. They intend to use their G3-S shock with the remote reservoir (http://www.racetech.com/HTML_FILES/G3SNEW_STREET.html). I don't have a price point at this time but he mentioned something about the first shock being *significantly* cheaper than MSRP. After its dialed in then we can do a group buy at like 20% off.

Something else to keep in mind is that the RaceTech complete shocks are not that cheap. They don't publicize prices for them, but I've heard numbers that are in the ballpark of a Penske.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:12 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Give me the shock of Spies bike and I would still be slow.
If I had Spies' whole SB I'd still be slower LOL
Old 01-23-2010, 10:24 PM
Back Marker

Karbon is on a distinguished road
Jamie.

Could you repurpose any aftermarket F4i shock to fit the Shawk? Fox, Penske, Ohlin ect...

Just looking for another option for ebay trawlers like myself
Old 01-24-2010, 12:38 AM
Squid

sschuyten is on a distinguished road
Is racetech close to Riverside 92503 California

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Fox doesn't make the Twin Clicker anymore, Ohlins doesn't make their 46PRC, and I think the Penske is a bit overpriced. Jamie's modified F4 shocks seem to be our only option at this point, and as good as his work is, more options are always better, right?

If you think you're a good candidate please shoot me a PM and I'll give you the contact info. I would prefer someone who is an accomplished rider and does track days to develop this shock. I have no interest in Racetech, but my concern is that we all don't get a piece of ****.
Sounds like a great situation for me if they are close to Riverside. Just rained for 8 start days and I have a 6 month old. I have completely stock suspension at both ends. Sounds as though this could get pricey? Let me know where they are Hawkrider.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:47 AM
Squid

sschuyten is on a distinguished road
They are in my old neck of the woods

I live with in 10 miles. I went to high school 5 blocks away. If I can help with this I would love to.

Sean
Old 01-24-2010, 06:11 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by skokievtr
If I had Spies' whole SB I'd still be slower LOL

Let's not confuse "slower" with "slow"

Originally Posted by Karbon
Jamie.

Could you repurpose any aftermarket F4i shock to fit the Shawk? Fox, Penske, Ohlin ect...

Just looking for another option for ebay trawlers like myself

Sure, I've done many conversions of Fox, Penske, Ohlins, etc shocks to fit bikes they weren't originally intended for. There can be some hiccups, but normally it's easier to convert an aftermarket shock than it is a stock Showa.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:20 AM
SuperBike

Let's not confuse "slower" with "slow"
I meant slower than you, as I'm an old fart (too?).
Old 01-24-2010, 09:49 AM
SuperBike

I'm older than I used to be.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:35 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Greg,
nice work talking to Racetech and looking out for options for SH. I agree more options are better. I personally love my bike: its as valuable to me, as the latest literbike - I save a lot by owning it so spending for a shock is a reasonable 'perk' for saving on new bikes everything 3 years. I can tell the others regarding all the mods I've done the suspension have been the most noticeable and rear shock number one.
I love the penske shock I have and if the racetech version has ride height adjust and a broad range of damping, would be good.

anyone who lives near them would be a great opportunity to work with them and learn something I'm sure.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:11 PM
SuperBike

I'm older than I used to be.
We all are. Some on this list more than others. I stopped telling a while ago and now have to lie about how long I've been riding too.

Your right about RT being up there in $ and how Penske I also believe is a precision piece. Its also easy to work on and parts are made right here in the USA. Does RT make it all here too?
Old 01-24-2010, 05:45 PM
SuperBike

You know, I think I read somewhere that RaceTech was claiming 100% USA made for those new shocks. I hope so.

I'm not really that old. A good friend of mine is turning 40 in a month from now and I think it's funny. The laugh will be on me in just a few short years.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:52 PM
SuperBike

You know, I think I read somewhere that RaceTech was claiming 100% USA made for those new shocks. I hope so.

I'm not really that old. A good friend of mine is turning 40 in a month from now and I think it's funny. The laugh will be on me in just a few short years.
I can't find anything more than this on the new RT G3-5 shock

http://race-tech.com/HTML_FILES/G3SNEW_STREET.html

http://www.shop.trackoholics.com/RT-...SSSU-05RRR.htm

Back ordered and even more than the Penske 3-way

http://www.le-suspension.com/catalog...products_id=30

Once you hit 50 it gets less funny every year...

Last edited by skokievtr; 01-24-2010 at 07:55 PM.